Replacing Valve Cover Gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cashizslick

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Ok, i have to repalce my valve cover gasket.

How can i tell what side is the "passenger side" so i dont put the thing in backwards [again?]. Also, got any tips for screwing the Valve Cover down again (so the washers are even?).

- thanks in advance. (yes i searched)

The valve cover gasket is keyed... it only goes in one way. If the gasket isn't sitting completely in the groove without forcing it in, take it out and flip it around.

:ditto: :werd: :withstupid: its simple. make sure you torque the valve cover back down properly and use that red gasket maker stuff too. Shouldn't be a problem, its pretty simple.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Mar 29 2004, 03:53 PM
make sure you torque the valve cover back down properly

Just a question, can you expand on this?

Thanks a lot guys - cash

ie- go to the manual, follow the tightening pattern they give you and torque the bolts in the RIGHT order and to the correct torque spec

you do have a helms right? shit i think even the chilten and haynes have this shit in them

7 LBS-FT

DO NOT over tighten them, if you do then you'll have a "How do I remove broken valvecover bolts" thread.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 29 2004, 04:52 PM
DO NOT over tighten them, if you do then you'll have a "How do I remove broken valvecover bolts" thread.

never seen any of those before :lmao:

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Mar 29 2004, 04:19 PM
ie- go to the manual, follow the tightening pattern they give you and torque the bolts in the RIGHT order and to the correct torque spec

you do have a helms right? shit i think even the chilten and haynes have this shit in them

Sorry, i dont have a helms, can you tell me the order to do it in???

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Mar 29 2004, 11:58 PM-->
Slammed90Lude
@Mar 29 2004, 04:19 PM

Sorry, i dont have a helms, can you tell me the order to do it in???

There is no order for the valvecover, just remember...

7 lbs-ft

If it makes you feel better, you can do them all left to right at five pounds, and then go back and add two more.

Back