Rev-Limiting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ANP320

Hey guys. Im new to rev-limiting. How would i rev-limit on my 2000 civic SI? My friend has a Jetta GLI and he rev-limits all the time. Im sure its probably quite different on a Civic to rev-limit. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

That's just the point where the ECU cuts the fuel supply to the engine.

On 99-2000 Civic Si's (like ours) it cuts out at 8200 rpm.

There is absolutely NO reason to rev to 8 grand, let alone 8200 anyway, peak hp occurs at 7600 rpm. Overreving isn't going to hurt the engine if you do it occasionally on accident... (say... you're merging on the highway in 3rd gear when you think you're in 4th, like I have...)

But just don't do it.

so basically its pointless? i mean his GLI is turbo charged and it does give it extra boost when he rev-limits. but maybe thats just due to the fact that its turbo charged and is a six speed? who knows. thanks.

Yeah it's pointless. I don't see how rev limiting your car gives you extra boost for the shift, the engine cuts off. But I'm not a turbo aficionado.

The only way i can see it helping is when you shift you wont fall as low in the powerband.

in order for you know where your car stops making power you need to go on a dyno...i always shift right before the rev limit for the same reason brc80 gave.....

Quoted post[/post]]
The only way i can see it helping is when you shift you wont fall as low in the powerband.

When you shift right at redline with a b16 and an S4c you fall to 6600 rpm, which is just 400 rpm off the peak torque figure.

My reasoning is I'm not seeing the point of revving past peak power just to get 200 rpm closer to peak torque. You're on the wrong side of the power curve after 7600 rpm, it's going to help you more to fall further down the tach because once you shift your power curve is climbing, instead of hanging where it's falling for those extra 400 rpm.

I guess that's just the way I drive.

if you hit your rev limiter for more than 1 or two bleeps before you're looking for the next gear, you suck at driving and are risking serious damage to your motor.

hitting the rev limiter cuts fuel, not ignition. so if there's any fuel left, you could lean out real bad, detonate, and kaaboom, there goes your #3 piston and rod through your block. if there's no fuel, its not big deal-- no combustion takes place.

sound slike your friend is just an asshat who thinks his car is faster by being a fucktard ricer

Its like in Need for speed underground when you drag race. You gotta shift dead on the redline and its like nitrous!!!!!

I take my b16 to 8g all the time. I have never had a problem with it. I hit the rev limiter a few times when i started driving it.

if you are bouncing off the rev limiter you are going slower than you could be going

I dont bounce off the rev limiter anymore. I shift 200-500rpms befor

what they are saying and i dont think anyone is catching it...dont worry about the rev limiter. Shift a B16 at 7600. Hell you could probably power shift the gear and hit right at your peak torque.

Just dont hit the rev limiter...you B16 can probably spin safely to 9k, but as b said, there might be extra gas and kaboom...rod through the block.

I've hit the rev limiter a few times in the Audi, i think it's like 7300-7500, and let me tell you it is not worth taking that bitch to redline. I shift at 5.5-6k if I'm trying to get some "oomph" out of it, the extra 500 rpm TO redline actually slows me down. Who cares though, the audi is slow.

On my LS-T it didn't fall off at 7.2k but I'd still shift there. I didn't have a rev limiter on it and I accidentally took that bitch to like 9k the first time I drove it.

so what you guys saying is that b16s are better off shifting at 7600rpm??

Quoted post[/post]]
if you hit your rev limiter for more than 1 or two bleeps before you're looking for the next gear, you suck at driving and are risking serious damage to your motor.

hitting the rev limiter cuts fuel, not ignition. so if there's any fuel left, you could lean out real bad, detonate, and kaaboom, there goes your #3 piston and rod through your block. if there's no fuel, its not big deal-- no combustion takes place.

sound slike your friend is just an asshat who thinks his car is faster by being a fucktard ricer

Fuel does help cool the combustion chamber. But either way hitting the revlimiter isnt any good, no need to hit it unless you just suck at driving.
I shift my integra at 7500-7700- thats got 00 civic si engine. unless the car has cams that make power higher in the RPM band theres no need to go past 7600. Its just slowing you down

That makes sense but what i don't understand then is this, i have two of my friends with hatchbacks eg's, both b16a2 and bone stock. One of them has his ecu chipped where he redlines it to almost 9 grand ( i know that's nuts ) and always spanks the other eg because he had to shift before redline. so what the hell???

Quoted post[/post]]
That makes sense but what i don't understand then is this, i have two of my friends with hatchbacks eg's, both b16a2 and bone stock. One of them has his ecu chipped where he redlines it to almost 9 grand ( i know that's nuts ) and always spanks the other eg because he had to shift before redline. so what the hell???

That's probably because he has a reason as to why he raised his limit, ie higher lift/duration cams and other supporting modifications. Therefore he's making more power and if he's racing someone else with an equal weight car, yes he's going to spank the other vehicle.

Back