Right Hand Drive Vehicles.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erikespo

I was looking at a RHD car and I was wondering if it is legal for me to drive it on public roads. I guess that is my question. Is it different in each state?

If the car has been DOT certified than yes.

You can't just import a RHD car from Japan and drive it on the roads here, obviously. If you were to convert your car to RHD, I'm really unsure of how the law views this.

Canadian car safety laws are pretty lenient. I know they take a pretty "hands off" approach. They basically just import them and register them as-is.

If it's imported to Canada it will still have to be brought up to DOT specs. Sometimes this can cost between 6 and 10k depending on what needs to be replaced/modified.

Originally posted by erikespo@Aug 20 2005, 12:58 AM
Well this car was from the UK. Imported to Canada.
[post=542717]Quoted post[/post]​

And....has it passed DOT in the United States yet? You can't just drive a Canadian car on the United State's soil, it doesn't meet all regulations.

The long story short is, its probably going to cost way too much to import the car and have it legalized, unless you import it in pieces and title it as a kit car in the states.

Abandon ship, all hope is lost, you'll die before you get it imported.

ON that note, yea, it's retarded expensive I have looked into a few different ways of importing, and the ones that are cheap have a ton more work than I am willing to do.

i got a question to throw in sorry for the threadjacking. What if you just have an address that you can register it up in canada and keep it here? I always thought about that. Its not really different than registering a car in PA to save on insurance cause NJ is retarted.

It would probably be like my friend whos dad used to keep his car registered in Florida, even though he lived in Texas so he didn't have to get it inspected, or some shit. Inconvinent maybe, but why not.

I have all my cars registered in PA, but spend most of my time in NY and NJ. That way I don't have to inspect it, no emissions and get cheap insurance, they really can't issue me a fix it ticket unless it's completely obvious, like a bumper is missing or something.

When I'm in PA it's a different story, if it doesn't meet their laws then I'm fucked.

I don't know how long you'd get away witj canadian plates.

over here on the jersey shore..i see alot of canadian plates. Dont understand whats so special about it but whatever. Now if i can just make a really good friend in canada. I just found a site that imports jap cars but they wont send to the us and shipping to canada for a 93 rx-7 including car was like $4500 us.

I am gonna guess this is gonna be a cheaper import. Considering it was sold in the us.. probably just need to swap a few key components. it is a 1990 CRX SiR..

Quoted post[/post]]
over here on the jersey shore..i see alot of canadian plates. Dont understand whats so special about it but whatever. Now if i can just make a really good friend in canada. I just found a site that imports jap cars but they wont send to the us and shipping to canada for a 93 rx-7 including car was like $4500 us.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

its funny how all you kids have no idea how EZ it is to Get a Jdm car Registerd and say it cost 5-10k
to get it dot approved. hahahaha

5 hours on the phone
30 mins at Dmv
$120.00 later
i have new plates and tags in my hand to go on my CTR
4 weeks later the title came in the mail.

Been Driving my 96 Ek9 now for over a year...

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

its funny how all you kids have no idea how EZ it is to Get a Jdm car Registerd and say it cost 5-10k

5 hours on the phone
30 mins at Dmv
$120.00 later

you must have fed them a lot of bullshit, because it's not that easy. it would be cheaper just to do a conversion.

but the better question is, why? rhd cars are a pain in the ass. i have one. i get harassed all the time about it. it even got impounded because of it. it's not worth it. but if you really want one. just do a conversion. it's not that hard.

5 hours on the phone
30 mins at Dmv
$120.00 later

what state do you live in?
this is actually a federal offense, but best of luck to you...

well, they have RHD cars for the mail...my sister is a USPS delivery person, and she had a RHD Jeep Cherokee...so any vehical is ok for RHD...look on Ebay, Subaru Legacy's are very many in RHD......for MAil delivery...so if a honda or nissan is RHD..is safe to say it's legal.

the whole issue here, is to make sure it's registered correctly. don't take any shortcuts because it will cost you in the long run. financially and legally. the best way to go is do a conversion. if you do that. it's already registered and for the most part, legal. if you import something, you have to go through all the safety issues. just like with skylines.

If you bought a clip, and did the work to a car that has a good vin, then it's legal... :wink:

Why cant we just be like the islands and all use JAP cars lol?

Quoted post[/post]]
I hate when people call it the Jersey Shore. But anyway, where are you seeing the canadian plates? I do see some during the summer and what not, but I assume their tourists.

Back