Roll Bar in My Civic Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

Ok, so I know that a rollcage isn't necessary for the times i'll be running without boost- But i have a few reasons why I think it might be necessary and or a good idea for car- The civic will be a daily driver, so a complete cage is obviously out of the question- I know that a cage helps to stiffen a chassis and that obviously seems like a good idea to me- Although roll bars areen't mandated until you're running 11.99's (???) i still like the safety factor of having one, especially since there is a good chance i'll be into the 12's when i'm on boost- Also, i don't know where the hell else i would mount racing harnesses to besides a roll bar? :feedback: and yes i can weld and will easily be able to put this together myself, i know pipe bending places by my house and have the general knowledge to build something like this- My question isn't if i can do it, but if i should-

there is a place in PA (i think) that my friend got a prebent cage from (very good price) all he had to do was put it together in the car and weld it up :)

ill find out from him where exactly it was and let you know

sounds good- thanks E :thumbsup:

so i take it you think it's a good idea? btw is your friend Mike with the red neon? cause i remember that he had a cage

yup thats him

they got some damn good prices over at the site :thumbsup:

- but still no one has answered my question? do you guys think it's a good idea to put one in or not?

I think it is, added safety is never bad. The crx w/ the b16 we have probably will never reach 12 second slips, but we still bought a 4 pt roll cage to stiffen the chassis a little bit, and just for a little more safety. Now the only thing we got to do is find a place in northern virginia that will put it on for us without overcharging us. If you can weld yourself, go for it. Our roll cage was $150 shipped off of ebay.

werd, i can weld, i'll have to check ebay- but i've been looking at roll cages at the site GSRTURBO recommended and they have very good prices and are located here in PA

NICE- yeah i was looking over there and their shit looks to be pretty nice and their prices are even better- i think that is def. going to be purchased in the near future- thanks guys

My car isn't even in the 13's, but I drive the autobahn everyday, and have seen some of the wrecks firsthand that road is capable of. I have been considering a roll cage, at a 4 pt with a bar for harness's. I mean 200-230km/h is fun, till some jackass cuts in front of you to pass a semi at 120km/h.

:werd:
ive been thinking of a cage / harnesses for my car for a while now... no autobahn for me ... but i treat my local roads / highways like they were the autobahn anyway :D

My experience is that the handling benefits are well worth it. The safety is a double edged sword because it is a racing piece and if you wreck and whack your noggin on a roll bar with no helmet on it will pop like a freakin grape. Most people never consider this. If you need some harnesses hit me up, I have a new set I never used because I had to get rid of my racing buckets, Mr. Pitbull Face thought they were fun to chew on. <_<

auctually your right i thought about that whole head being smashed in deal when was considering buying a small simple cage.but i got a set of weapon r harnesses for a hundred bucks "cant pass that up"so for the extra saftey i just installed those.
except i didnt have a place to mount the rear straps"shoulder straps" just mount them under the rear seats and its just as good as a cage mount.

Originally posted by PHOBIA@Apr 5 2004, 07:09 AM

except i didnt have a place to mount the rear straps"shoulder straps" just mount them under the rear seats and its just as good as a cage mount.

No it isn't. If you're in a wreck the angle of the belt's will help cause the seat back to collapse and compress you spine. That is why you have to have a bar mounted at no more than a 10 degree + or - angle of you shoulders.

^^^^^^:concur: it's a very very bad idea to secure racing harness to anything but a roll cage for those exact reasons!!!!

and hey cws13, besides harnesses you wouldn't happen to be able to get me seats as well would ya? not right away, but by the beggining of june i'm going to be looking hard- can you get me decent prices on say.....corbeau A4's in grey or black? no rush homie, whenever you get to it

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Apr 5 2004, 01:14 AM-->
@Apr 5 2004, 07:09 AM

No it isn't. If you're in a wreck the angle of the belt's will help cause the seat back to collapse and compress you spine. That is why you have to have a bar mounted at no more than a 10 degree + or - angle of you shoulders.

not to mention that in a rollover the roof is very likely to colapse
if you are in a regular seatbelt, you will not be locked in an upright position in the seat so you will be pushed out of the way when the roof comes smashing down twards your head
if you are in a race harness without a rollbar/cage, you will be locked in an upright position in the seat, you will not be able to move/be pushed out of the way when the roof collapses in on you, so now your head/neck becomes the rollbar

05.jpg

Not too sure what these are connected to, but at least they are in a "better" position. By the way, this is a EE8 DOHC Civic I just found for 3000 :p (no, I am not buying it)

Back