Run Reliable 300 HP on Stock B18C1 GSR?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm looking to turbocharge my stock B18C1 GSR Engine.

For now, I want to run a turbo kit on a stock engine and sometime in the future I want to look into doing the internals for more power potential.

I want to either get a kit thats tried and tested and has the potential to provide more power without swapping all the turbo parts OR put a kit together with parts that I source.

My bolt-on kit goal is: 300 HP with front mount on stock engine, injectors and 255 fuel pump.
My future potential goal is: 400-450 HP with front mount, fuel management and internal work.

I was looking into the XS Engineering Kit, Greddy Kit or Turbonetics Kit as a start.

What do you guys think? Is it doable? Any advice / experience would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Sorry I forgot to mention:

I will be getting a aftermarket clutch / flywheel setup (probably ACT, Clutchmaster or SPEC) for the added HP.

I will be running 93 Octane, thats the best I can get locally here in NY.

Would prefer something that will spool at around 3500 give or take a couple of hundred RPM.

you'll need fueling no matter what you do.

neither of those kits will take you to 300 alone... you need fuel management, larger injectors, and crome pro.

check out peakboost.com too

300 is not gonna be possible without tuning. you need bigger injectors and a better pump...as B said.

The kits have the ability to push it out, but your bottom end might hold you back...250 is possible on a GSR with one of those kits, but you are still asking a miracle to do it without fuel tuning. Whatever you do, do not use 2 extra injectors in the IM...We had a fire in a del sol this weekend....wasnt pretty.

Quoted post[/post]]
300 is not gonna be possible without tuning. you need bigger injectors and a better pump...as B said.

The kits have the ability to push it out, but your bottom end might hold you back...250 is possible on a GSR with one of those kits, but you are still asking a miracle to do it without fuel tuning. Whatever you do, do not use 2 extra injectors in the IM...We had a fire in a del sol this weekend....wasnt pretty.

Would a turbo kit with front mount on stock engine, aftermarket injectors and 255 fuel pump net me 300 HP?

Quoted post[/post]]
you'll need fueling no matter what you do.

neither of those kits will take you to 300 alone... you need fuel management, larger injectors, and crome pro.

check out peakboost.com too

What is crome pro?

Peakboost.com web address doesn't work.

in addition to the things you listed you still need a engine managment program. thats what crome pro is. its actually a rom editor. the regular version is free, crome pro is like 150. totally worth it since you cant datalog with the free version. some people use a seperate datalogger like ecucontrol in conjuction with crome, but id rather have everything in one program. what you need to do is get your ecu chipped and either get crome pro and a wideband and a laptop and tune it yourself, or take it to someone who can tune it. you cant just slap parts together without re-doing the fuel maps. that is unless you want horrible gas mileage, blown motor, or both.

i suggest you reasearch a hell of alot more, before taking on this project. i smell broken motor coming soon..

bottom line. big turbo and good solid tuning.

the rest is just details

Quoted post[/post]]
i suggest you reasearch a hell of alot more, before taking on this project. i smell broken motor coming soon..

bottom line. big turbo and good solid tuning.

the rest is just details

300whp is doable. Its been more common in the last couple of years.

Reliability rests solely on tuning, as anyone here will tell you. Most "tried and true" turbo kits on the market rely on boost dependent fuel pressure regulators (commonly called FMUs). These are garbage. You *WILL NOT* get the numbers you desire out of that setup, much less reliability.

If you are using a B18C1, I assume you are OBD1 or OBD2. Uberdata and Chrome are both great programs (myself versed moreso in Uberdata) that can tune every aspect possible. Look up www.pgmfi.org and start reading. I don't mean to be condescending, but you are not ready for that yet. Some heavy reading is in order, or you may just have someone tune it for you.

$250 for a Wideband o2, $70 for an EGT, $150 for a spare ECU and $70 for a chip burner and ZIF socket is nothing compared to the importance of the tuning. Most people pay more for their exhaust.

Find someone in your area that knows their shit. I had a ton of helping hands when I was learning. I got my Prelude to run fantastic without a turbo installed yet, and got to help a lot of other people in my area too. Between people here, on HMT, and in your area, you should have all the support you need so long as you meet us halfway and attempt to figure it out yourself.

So to the original question: Can I have a reliable 300WHP B18C1T? Yes, running the proper sized injectors, the needed tuning, and basic maintenance.

Edit: and I agree with Hotrex, a correctly sized turbo will do much more to reduce engine stress than any bling-bling intercooler would.

it can be done. My hatch is running 290 to the wheels. I built a turbo kit cuz most out there dont give you what you need. Fuel- and management. This is the most importnt. Im running neptune with a t3 57trim turbo and a 255 fuel pump and 1000cc injectors. You dont need that big of injectors. Im going to build the engine over the winter so I just paid the extra cash up front. But last none of this will do you anygood if the motor isnt healty. The block and rods can take it but your rings will go out sooner or later.

if you have the money get the full race turbokit. theres a hatch around with a stock b18c1 puttin down 300whp/200ftq. big bucks for that kit, but proven. also tuning is the key. pay someome...a reputable tuner to tune it to what it can handle. def gonna need a pump injectors and some sort of engine managiment, whether it be chrome, uberdata, hondata or aem. if your piecing a kit together you will spend a lot less and be in the same boat as i am in. that what i am shooting for 300whp on stock sleeves and stock internals. tuning is the key. good luck.

if it is for someone whose intentions are on buying a kit and not piecing one together, and they have the money, i wouldnt go with anything but full race. but not all of us can afford that, or would rather save money, or even build our own with what we really need then def. piece one together. like is said im piecing one together sorta as we speak.

and good nubers! cant wait to dyno mine

Quoted post[/post]]
i made 319whp 249 tq on a hmt kit on a stock block b18c

was that on one of your own manifolds? if it was or was not, which kind?

i currently have 350whp 274ft/lbs on a ebay.57 trim turbo @15lbs maxed out. i had a custom made manifold and have a full fuel managment system.. my motor is 100% stock top and bottom. been running soild two years now knock knock...

i currently have 350whp 274ft/lbs on a ebay.57 trim turbo @15lbs maxed out. i had a custom made manifold and have a full fuel managment system.. my motor is 100% stock top and bottom. been running soild two years now knock knock...
please check the dates on these threads before you post. thanks.

Back