Rust Removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ethereal

I have a 91 crx and it has rust where the spare wheel normally sits. What can I do to rid the car of this crap? Thanks for your help?

sand it off and buy some ospho rust preventative. the ospho will STOP the rusting.

OR, sand blast it untill there is NO rust left, and repaint.

I forget what the shit was called, but I picked it up at Autozone when my Toyota's bed was rusting. Spray it onto rust and it chemically changes it into black paint (basically). Did that 4 years ago on all the rust in my bed and the rust hasn't spread nor come back. Check it out.

as hcivic said theres only one way tro get rid of rust and thats to cut it out and weld in a patch. I dont care what kind of magic ina bottle u guys might think works....it doesnt

Originally posted by driver1@Sep 5 2005, 09:26 PM
as hcivic said theres only one way tro get rid of rust and thats to cut it out and weld in a patch. I dont care what kind of magic ina bottle u guys might think works....it doesnt
[post=549970]Quoted post[/post]​

How many times have you used it. I've used it with great success, and everyone I know used it after it worked for me. Yet to find anyone who had anything other than great things to say about it. Its worth trying an $8 bottle to not have to cut and weld your car.

ok folks last time in this thread i live in canada we have more rust tan you will ever see (primed parts rust in weeks) rust converts don't work 100%

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Sep 10 2005, 01:56 AM
ok folks last time in this thread i live in canada we have more rust tan you will ever see (primed parts rust in weeks) rust converts don't work 100%
[post=552207]Quoted post[/post]​

:agree:

Rust converters are for half ass or structural work that is 1/4" or thicker. That leaves a lot of metal to paint, and retreat in the future.

If a panel has holes in it, then you should cut them out, period. If you cannot weld, then you should not be in the biz.

Anything else is a band-aid, a patch, and however functional, still not meant to last in the long run.

Driver1 and hcivic.com own this forum. Nuff said. I am just runner up to these boys in the bodywork world. Their word is gold. Shut up.

If a body panel is rusted completely through, then sure I can see cutting and welding. However, if there's just mild surface rust I fail to see how cutting and welding is completely necessary.

Mild surface rust often tends to be a hell of a lot worse than it first appears. If you start sanding on a spot that has bubbled up, say the size of a nickel... it will be pitted and corroded almost all the way through.

I also agree. Cut and weld.

But the minor rust that was on my shitvic wasn't bad enough where I needed to cut and weld. It was very minor surfaace rust, I sandblasted that bitch and primed it up.

yeah, if you have something blasted, or grind/sand until the rust is gone without blowing through, then it is just surface rust. Surface rust is easy enough to take car of.

Sorry Swanny, I forgot to list your name too.

Back