S2000 engine problems Need HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scruz

My 2002 s2k is making tapping noise from the valve train. i didnt check the lash yet but when i touck the followers they didnt have that much play and i know its form the head some where. None of the springs r broken and i dont know what to do.

i'm guessing you rev the hell outta that thing.. but Hondas are known for ticking.. could be your injectors

Ticking

Hondas tend to Tick Off beat from the engine. This is normally due to a loose Heat Sheild. this is known mostly as the ( Honda Tick ) not a hard fix, normally a tighten of the bolts or in more extreme/ stripped bold situations. A good Big Hose Clamp :)

How loud is the tick and are you sure it's coming from the valvetrain?? EG6 is right about them normally ticking. Mine has a light tick only when it's up to temp which is probally your case . the Valve lash is probally just a little out of tolerance when it warms up and if you actually "touched" the valve train I'm pretty sure you didn't do it when it was up to normall running temp. I'd adjust the lash when the car is warm and see if that clears it up.

If you're sure it's the valvetrain, check the keepers on your retainers. They like to break on the AP1s when they're overrevved.

Ive heard keepers too.

I r nice to my AP1.

reving it shouldn't be a problem, im sure he still has a rev limiter . unless he does it on the down shift

its actually a pretty common problem. the rev limiter on the AP1 wont prevent you from breaking something.

<<<< i like to here mine blip repeatedly on the limiter.:p

It goes "rannnnnnnnnnn dehdehdehdehdehdeh...( insert explosion here ).......wOOOOOOOOOt " to a grinding hault.:D

W3RD... I just figured the retainers would crack.....then the actuall keeper would slip down between the broke-up retainer. Sorta like when a washer gives way under a bolt head...washer cracks, slips out around the bolt head , then the bolt head slides through the hole. Any way you slice it, this kid is a one hit wonder. DIe post die!!!!

Back