s2000 mods

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiped hatch

hello i just bought a 2002 s2000 and i really want to know what bang for buck parts i should put on first.
also what do i do with tuning?
i had a civic with a chipped ecu on crome but idk about s2000's, can anyone help. thanks

Bang for the buck really doesn't apply to the s2000 that well. Calesta is right about the suspension though, probably gonna be your cheapest mod. Test pipes are pretty cheap but I don't know how your car will sound. I scowered around and found most of my parts gently used. Scooped my invidia duals for $400 shipped. Snatched my walker kit off craigslist already painted to match for $350. Bought my wheels off of a friend for $200 and snagged tires/mounting/lug nuts for about $300. Only thing I bought new was the ACT clutch disc ($160) and AEM V2 intake ( $210 ).

Heres some pics for the hell of it

Attachments

• Tiffs camera 066.JPG
    Tiffs camera 066.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10,281
  • Tiffs camera 067.JPG
    Tiffs camera 067.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,554
  • Tiffs camera 069.JPG
    Tiffs camera 069.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,859
clutch is a good idea. changing the diff and transmission fluid every 15,000 miles or so is a good idea.

new diff housing and diff...also a good idea.

youll love yourself if you get the new elastic bands for the roof.

When it comes right down to it...there are not a lot of tuning options for the S2000....if you want a lot more power out of it, its going to require forced induction. About 5,000 and youll hit 300HP to the wheels (supercharged...you can get anywhere from 300-450 with a "bolt-on" kit....i just dont trust anybody in that area)

Wow. You've been getting stuff cheap!

WERD. I guess I'm a pretty thrifty guy! ( or cheap, however you wanna look at it :D )

As for turbo kits, you can scoop the GReddy kit for the AP1 for roughly $3,500-$4,500 , depending on shipping costs of course.

Reikoshea's comment about the "tunning" aspect is spot on, but let me clarify a little. Tuning is a loosely used ( and loosely defined ) term now-a-days. Retards consider 'tuning' to be an intake and tail lights, but I suppose you mean actually touching the ECU and doing something mild like higher REV/Speed limiters, better fuel mapping to take advantage of parts like I/H/E...etc. , right? You're not gonna see big gains from mods like these on the S2000 like you would on the D or B series Civic you had, ( pound-for-pound comparison ), unless you back them with big dollars. The F20 in the s2000 is like a mildly built N/A K20, accept it comes from the factory this way. A little higher rpm limit, about 25-45 more crank HP. You can only go so much farther with it....naturally asp. that is. Boost is another story.

Out of everythnig you could do to your car, the first thing you should probally do is mod your driving skills. I'm not saying you can't drive or the car is to much for you, but the s2000 is a whole different animal compared to a civic, and most other cars for that matter. If your gonna play with the car, find a parking lot or a track to do it in/on before you decide to get stupid on the street with it . The s2k can be pretty unpredictable if you are not use to it. Here's a few begginer s2000 tips just for the hell of it;
-Just 'cause it's RWD doesn't make you a drift star, it has a lot of "snap steer", and you will find yourself pointing the opposite direction that you intended if you're not carefull.
-The S2000's diff doesn't like to be abused, which is what Reikoshea was getting at when he said to buy a new differential. The clutch doesn't like 9,000rpm launches either.
-If you can afford it, replace the valve spring retainers/keepers with better ones. They like to fail at high rpm. A loose valve bouncing around a combustion chamber never ends well.
-If you have a plastic rear window, replace the top with the newer glass-windowed unit for gods' sake,YOU can't see through it. Not to mention people don't like to look at that dingy shit. ( this goes for all the Miata owners out there as well )
-Take care of the damn thing. PRODUCTION of the S2000 has stopped and it will probally be worth money one day.
- BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY , 1. top ALWAYS down (More pedal = less wet) 2. Keep the "flash" alive

Good luck with the new car:D

Nah, the Greddy kit isn't for me. I'm budgeting for a much more ambitious turbo build on mine.

Actually, you can pull another 20-30whp out of the F20C totally stock with the AEM EMS. It's been done quite a few times. It's NOT going to be done with just a "chip" though. You can't "chip" the S2000's ECU.

Drift + S2000 = :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

2002 should be a glass window.

The s2k can drift...with about 10,000 worth of work :) Damn short wheelbase.

Oh well...most people would be satisfied with just getting the tail out a bit and then forgetting it ever happened...that snap back is harsh...EVERYTIME.

Why? :shrug2:

For the cost of that you could just boost the F20 (or F22 depending on the year) and make good power while keeping it in the Honda family. The only reason I'd drop a 2JZ into an S2000 would be if I was building a show car and wanted the "oh wow" factor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back