Sensor Problem.. or wiring problem?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
Lately my the temp gauge in my EF has been on the fritz, i keep thinkin my cars gonna overheat. It started off slow for a few days only raising from 1/4 way up the gauge and then start to rise to a 1/2 way mark,m and then as i would juggle the clutch and throttle it would go back down, and back up and back down and back up and i seriously thought it was a heat issue.
Well yesterday i went on a long trip and it got worse, it would rise to almost the white line meaning its getting HOT, and rarely come down when i left off throttle to cruise. So i pulled over 3 or 4 times turned it off and let the fan run. I would sit for less then a minute, start it back up and temp was fine again?... but soon as i started moving it was right back to "HOT" again. I even noticed when i held my sunroof switch it would spike in temp.. which makes me think its not heat its got to be an electrical issue.
The gauge responds to signs like when im boosting it goes up.. making it look like it could be a heat issue, but when i mess with a switch or my lights it also effects the reading so im not sure which way to lean..

My fuel gauge is also acting funny, i went to fill up the other day at about the halfway mark and it auto cut off meaning i was full so i turned on the key and they level stopped at the 3/4 mark.. Maybe some bad grounds in my gauge cluster? or bad sensors?

Another issue is my turbo timer started acting funny about the same time the temp problem came up, sometimes it has no power and i check every wire to it making sure its all still soldered and nothing, then randomly itll be on when i start the car another time.

Any ideas would help.. at least where to start looking for possible bad connections.

i being having a problem with my my 92 eg i have a h22 on it i use to have a apex afc on it i toke it off and now the car wont go past 6000rmp i dont have a knock sensor on it etheir but i do have a chip computer that dosent have a red line any ideas on what the problem can be also when the car gets to 6000 rpm the clock goes crazy and the neddle starts jumping everywere

No, i check my rad and its the same level before and after driving, and my overflow is filled to the max line. Im seriously leaning towards wiring issue.. even my gf with almost no knowledge knows a engine temp cant change from hot to cool that fast and thinks somethings wrong. I just dont have a damn clue what!

does running your heater full blast have any effect on it?

to some extent.. it keeps the "temp" down.. but i honestly think i dont even need it on... though it sucks driving around with full heat and no AC in 90 degree weather...

Back