Single Cam Turbo Vs. B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i wanted to know what the best swap would be for my 96 hatch. i have around $4000. i really want a turbo but i hear they are more trouble then they are worth.

if you really want turbo get the b18b.......it's cheaper and in stock form better for turbo (lower compression and all).. with only $4000 you may have a hard time finding a swap and then buying the turbo. if you want BIG POWER your going to need some sort of forced induction so do the swap and save for the turbo.....you could just go with the b16 and hit the juice though. whatever you do, in the end 4g's are out the window...good luck.....
turbo's are worth it........

you can have a b18 for around like 1500 around here. if you can probably have around 5000, you can have enough for an LS and a turbo setup. nevertheless, good luck.

Originally posted by blackhb9876@Feb 21 2003, 04:19 PM
i wanted to know what the best swap would be for my 96 hatch. i have around $4000. i really want a turbo but i hear they are more trouble then they are worth.

Just run a good solid turbo setup- it's more power for your money, and you'll smoke all the guys who spent $4000 on their B16 swaps and quit. Built well and watched over diligently, a turbo on your D16 will last a very long time.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 22 2003, 12:31 AM
Just run a good solid turbo setup- it's more power for your money, and you'll smoke all the guys who spent $4000 on their B16 swaps and quit. Built well and watched over diligently, a turbo on your D16 will last a very long time.

But the tranny wont. A turbo LS will beat a turboed d16 or b16

Originally posted by asmallsol+Feb 22 2003, 07:56 AM-->
@Feb 22 2003, 12:31 AM

But the tranny wont. A turbo LS will beat a turboed d16 or b16

Maybe not- but it's the D16 transmissions in the 92-95 that are really weak, not the 96-00... they're a bit stronger. I just read now though that he has a 96 hatch, which means no SOHC VTEC, which means he might not get that much out of a turbo setup. Either way, I really don't think you can do a B18 swap AND a turbo for $4000, unless you get all the parts really cheap and do all the labor yourself.

SOHC vs. DOHC

But the tranny wont. A turbo LS will beat a turboed d16 or b16 [/b]
Maybe not- but it's the D16 transmissions in the 92-95 that are really weak, not the 96-00... they're a bit stronger. I just read now though that he has a 96 hatch, which means no SOHC VTEC, which means he might not get that much out of a turbo setup. Either way, I really don't think you can do a B18 swap AND a turbo for $4000, unless you get all the parts really cheap and do all the labor yourself.[/quote]

ur single cam can easily be converted to a single cam vtec swap the head with from a single cam vtec motor. research some single cam civics and u will find them pushin at max 500hp a simple youtube search will show u. MY OPINION: buy a T3/T4 turbo w/ intercooler and swap the head to vtec( u need the vtec distributor and the wiring harness) low compression heads dont worry about that 4 stacks u got its only a honda its a poor mans race car u will have some cash left over.

Back