Skunk2 Stage 2 - basic setup tips?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BallyVTI

Dear All,
Problem: B16A2 + Sk2St2 = big dip at vtec xover.
Cam tuning, emanage, etc: still a problem.
Are there any baseline settings for the Sk2St2 timing-wise?
What about ignition?
+10 degrees for the whole spectrum?
Thanks,
B.

Originally posted by BallyVTI@Jun 6 2005, 04:11 PM
Dear All,
Problem: B16A2 + Sk2St2 = big dip at vtec xover.
Cam tuning, emanage, etc: still a problem.
Are there any baseline settings for the Sk2St2 timing-wise?
What about ignition?
+10 degrees for the whole spectrum?
Thanks,
B.
[post=508640]Quoted post[/post]​

You need more compression for those cams.

Originally posted by formby@Jun 6 2005, 04:48 PM
got to a dyno...
[post=508662]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid: get a vafc and get to the dyno.

turn the engagement all the way down, dyno it.
turn the engagement all the way up, dyno it.

Where the two graphs of the low lobes start to fall and the high lobes start to rise will determine the best vtec crossover point.

High comperssion is a good idea for you to consider. these cams have more potential but you have to extract it all out by have an good intake and exhaust system, running a good EMS, and proper dyno tune. don't just slap it on and think it'll run right. time well spent at the dyno will award you with more speed. i would recommend you get some P30 or even PCT pistons, besure to check piston to valve clearance when installing high comp pistons.

Originally posted by formby@Jun 6 2005, 11:48 PM
got to a dyno...

OK, but here in Hungary I would have to know what to look for.
No dyno tuners, just dynos.
B.

[post=508640]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

You need more compression for those cams.
[post=508840]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Compression is one thing. I am not looking into exploiting the FULL potential of the stage 2s, but i would rather if they worked just fine... and giving a bit of extra umph.
Thanks,
B.

Originally posted by 2000Si+Jun 7 2005, 06:48 AM-->
@Jun 6 2005, 04:48 PM
got to a dyno...

:withstupid: get a vafc and get to the dyno.

turn the engagement all the way down, dyno it.
turn the engagement all the way up, dyno it.

Where the two graphs of the low lobes start to fall and the high lobes start to rise will determine the best vtec crossover point.
[post=508856]Quoted post[/post]​

Do you mean that identifying the correct xover eliminates all the problems I am seeing?
Cams have nothing to do with it?
In -3 Ex +6
Ign @ stock 16
B.

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL@Jun 7 2005, 08:08 AM
High comperssion is a good idea for you to consider. these cams have more potential but you have to extract it all out by have an good intake and exhaust system, running a good EMS, and proper dyno tune. don't just slap it on and think it'll run right. time well spent at the dyno will award you with more speed. i would recommend you get some P30 or even PCT pistons, besure to check piston to valve clearance when installing high comp pistons.
[post=508889]Quoted post[/post]​

That is the future.
In the present, I would like to see normal-like operation from these cams.
Thanks,
B.

Go to a dyno and tune the power curve. Don't just get peak power, try to scavenge the powerband all across the board. adjust cam timing bit by bit and also tune your ignition timing too. this will propably helps those cams better. besure that the valves dont hit the pistons.

as a base line, consider this:

cam gears:
I: -1
E: +2

VTEC x-over: 5700
redline, 9000 (assuming you have valvetrain to hold these rpms)

if you're still dipping, raise the vtec some more. the vtec lobe on the skunks don't make any power until about 5600 ish...

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL@Jun 7 2005, 10:20 PM
Go to a dyno and tune the power curve. Don't just get peak power, try to scavenge the powerband all across the board. adjust cam timing bit by bit and also tune your ignition timing too. this will propably helps those cams better. besure that the valves dont hit the pistons.
[post=509153]Quoted post[/post]​

I was told no matter what I do, the valves WILL NOT hit the pistons.
Dont know how much experience is behind this "fact"
Dyno will come at one point.
Thanks,
B.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 7 2005, 11:07 PM
as a base line, consider this:

cam gears:
I: -1
E: +2

VTEC x-over: 5700
redline, 9000 (assuming you have valvetrain to hold these rpms)

if you're still dipping, raise the vtec some more. the vtec lobe on the skunks don't make any power until about 5600 ish...
[post=509168]Quoted post[/post]​

OK, will try tomorrow.
One question though: 5700 is not that much of a raise from the factory 5450. Were you assuming 5000?
BTW, there is no dip if I raise vtec to 6750... but thats just being plain stupid.
One more: what about ignition? Stay at stock 16, or ?
Thanks,
B.

leave the ignition alone. if you want to change it, get some management like uberdata or something. playing with the distributor is not the right way to do it.

5700 is about where the vtec lobe makes power. 6750 is a little high... but then again, you have low compression, so it very well may take that long to be usable.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 9 2005, 11:46 PM
leave the ignition alone. if you want to change it, get some management like uberdata or something. playing with the distributor is not the right way to do it.

5700 is about where the vtec lobe makes power. 6750 is a little high... but then again, you have low compression, so it very well may take that long to be usable.
[post=510491]Quoted post[/post]​

True, the Stage2 pulls about 5700 while the stage 1 pulls at 5200. you're gonna have to wait for a few rpms before you can haul ass.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 10 2005, 06:46 AM

Is there real danger in leaving the xover that high? Ive been told yes, there is.
Nothing more specific...
BTW, I played around with Engine Analyzer Pro, and it seems that changing (advancing) the ignition the dip COULD go away... and the cam timings in this case are good...
Yes, compression is at 10.4... that will stay that way for a while.
Thanks,
B.

Originally posted by f20b_crxsi+Jun 10 2005, 06:52 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jun 9 2005, 11:46 PM

True, the Stage2 pulls about 5700 while the stage 1 pulls at 5200. you're gonna have to wait for a few rpms before you can haul ass.
[post=510496]Quoted post[/post]​

But from 5500 to 6750... steep...
B.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 10 2005, 06:46 AM

As for management, I have an Emanage unit. That should do it, right?
B.

So I dynoed the car. Had a good 6 hours worth of dynoing/tuning.
I am running RICH AS HELL (9.9:1) at vtec from 5500-6800 RPMs.
I have NO clue of what to do.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
B.

sell the emanage and get a chipping setup and run uberdata or crome software on it. thats the only real way to tune a car. the piggy back systems just don't work that good.

Back