So I just got this email from Toyota

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Korax

[FONT=&quot]URGENT: Please make sure you are on top of this!!![/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]TMS has learned that the CBS "TV News Magazine" Inside Edition has been going to the NHTSA and Toyota websites to identify VINs of used cars in dealer inventory that have not yet had the recall repairs performed. They are attempting to purchase these vehicles. The intent is to produce a negative scare story. Also, Inside Edition has visited non-Toyota dealerships to try to purchase such vehicles.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It's important to warn our dealers about these investigations, and to make sure no used vehicles are delivered to any buyers (even for test drives) before they have been checked for any outstanding recall repairs. If a CBS camera crew appears during a sales transaction, they should be told that no vehicles are cleared for delivery until the pre-delivery check assures that all recall remedies have been applied.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Inside Edition seems to be putting an unusual amount of effort into this "investigation."[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A
Central Atlantic Toyota
Pittsburgh District H
District Parts and Services Manager[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Probably not supposed to post this but I don't care. I'm the internet sales manager for my Honda/Toyota/Scion/Hyundai store. I took out the names/phone numbers. How messed up is this? Any Toyota dealer would be stupid not to do the recall work anyway.. it's basically free money from the manufacture.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

Probably not supposed to post this but I don't care. I'm the internet sales manager for my Honda/Toyota/Scion/Hyundai store. I took out the names/phone numbers. How messed up is this? Any Toyota dealer would be stupid not to do the recall work anyway.. it's basically free money from the manufacture.
[/FONT]

How stupid is it that they take in used cars daily and there's a chance that someone might see one on the lot and ask to take it for a test ride....

Toyota is trying to cover their asses, and whos to say every dealership does stuff by the books? When I bought my 350Z I kept waiting for my tag to come in the mail, it never did, so a few days before my paper tag expired I called Nissan asking for a new tag or hard tags. They said it should have came already..... looked into things, turns out the car was never inspected and since a car must be inspected before the state issues tags, it never got the clear for tags....

How stupid is it that they take in used cars daily and there's a chance that someone might see one on the lot and ask to take it for a test ride....

Toyota is trying to cover their asses, and whos to say every dealership does stuff by the books? When I bought my 350Z I kept waiting for my tag to come in the mail, it never did, so a few days before my paper tag expired I called Nissan asking for a new tag or hard tags. They said it should have came already..... looked into things, turns out the car was never inspected and since a car must be inspected before the state issues tags, it never got the clear for tags....

This is true, but the point is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with these Toyota Camrys/Prius/etc. The NHTSA has found nothing faulty with any that they have tested after claimed sudden acceleration on a particular vehicle. The recorder says that the drivers never hit the brakes, and were obviously to stupid to shift into neutral. Secondly, this is just a leftest new organization trying to help out there Gov owned motor companies. This news story should have died a long time ago. They are going to extreme lengths to try and make Toyota look as bad as they can.

What you are talking about it a PDI. Pre-delivery inspection. The dealer you bought your Z from makes mistakes like everyone else. I have a feeling that isn't really what happened. I know with honda/toyota there are a few things the techs have to do, connect plugs, etc. Your car probably wouldn't have functioned fully if it had not gone through this. Did the car have inspection stickers on the window when you bought it? If it did, someone in their accounting department didn't do the paper work they were supposed to. They obviously made a mistake, unless they are covering for the gov never filing it, but your car def went through the shop.

Last edited:
So that means on a test drive when I've womped on "fast" cars and I get super-shitty acceleration, it's because they de-tune the car before final sale?

Looks like Inside Edition is really reaching for a story to up their viewer numbers...

So that means on a test drive when I've womped on "fast" cars and I get super-shitty acceleration, it's because they de-tune the car before final sale?

No... The car is fine mechanically. A lot of the time things on the interior are not hooked up, dash components, etc. And if a sales person took you on a test drive it should have been a vehicle that had already went through PDI. Seeing as they would like to sell you a car where everything functions. If they take you on a test drive and the radio doesn't work your going to think the car is already broken. Ya know, cause all sales people and anything related are lying scum of the earth and couldn't possibly tell anyone the truth.

Last edited:
i love manufactured "news"

yes. It does. well before the PDi process of course.

I do the internet sales for Subaru and that what happens. In some case its a simple fuse, in other cases like our Sti it was a few plugs.

Any reputable dealership checks for recalls, carfax, and so forth before selling a used vehicle.

when i take a trade in. it doesnt matter what the car looks like my questions are...

has it ever been wrecked
how much do you owe
are you the first owner

show me your insurance card so i can run the vin#

We have to know before it's sold again either to retail or wholesale.

I was talking about used cars.

it seems like an accounting Corp error. We have had that issue before and man does everyone love blaming the sales department. Even our corp office who screw up all time on the tag work,title's and so forth always blame us for their mistakes.

it seems like an accounting Corp error. We have had that issue before and man does everyone love blaming the sales department. Even our corp office who screw up all time on the tag work,title's and so forth always blame us for their mistakes.

Doesn't matter who it was, someone who worked at the dealership or was hired by the dealership over looked inspecting the car before selling it. If something had failed, I would have had a major lawsuit on my hands.

Doesn't matter who it was, someone who worked at the dealership or was hired by the dealership over looked inspecting the car before selling it. If something had failed, I would have had a major lawsuit on my hands.

That's what i was trying to say. Sometimes everything in the vehicle was done right including inspection. 1 mistype of the vin either from the time it arrives or the time it gets sent out to the lender will throw everything off.

Suck you had to deal with it but a dealership with a good reputation WILL NOT OVERLOOK an inspection. if so then someone will get fired immediately.

Either way back to topic: glad you got it taken care of and personally don't think Toyota will suffer with this little media stunt.....if true.

Back