so i went to bmw today...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
The new M3's got my eye hard. So, i went out and talked with a salesman to get the scoop.

spec'ed out how I want it, its $64,xxx including tax/title/reg/finance charge total. out of 60 months, that's about 1100 a month or something. I'll be putting 4 or 5k down, so i'll be right at 1000 a month. I owe pretty much dead on to what they are doing at auction for the e46's, so i should come out even on the e46. my current payment is 849, and i always pay 900 on it anyway. What's another 100 bucks a month for twice the car, plus a warranty and free service for 50k (mine is up next month on the e46).

All 7 of theirs they are getting initially are spoken for, and there are 2 people on the wait list. I'm sitting on spot #3.

nothing is official. They are going to call me when it's my turn (when they get their 3rd new allocation) and at that point I can either start the deal or pass my spot onto the next guy (no money is down or anything... it's just a wait list)

So, I have a couple months to ponder it and can back out with no financial loss at all.

There's lot's of pros and cons to it.

the grass is always greener I guess.... I want one bad.... but i've never even seen one in person, let alone driven one.
I LOVE the e46. but the e92 had me at hello. :ph34r:

am i being greedy?

should i just stick with what i have? i'm on 15 payments on it out of 60... so i still have a far way to go. but, 45 is far less than 60 if i ever want to stop paying for cars and dump some money into the house or something.

i'm investing pretty good... put away 4500 into my 401k last year, and have a solid 10k in my bank accounts. it's not much if you think about it.... but i'm also just new into the new house which owned my savings (and rightfully so) for closing costs and what not, so i think it's pretty good. I've got a couple places i'm starting to work with to re-fi the house for a better rate, so my mortgage payment is going to drop a little in the near future too.

Now that i'm single, i'm spending far less money (no dinner dates, movies, etc) and that was easily 200 a month.

So, either way, my finances won't be changing very much.... just making the payoff longer away. Is it worth it?

Am I just being a total fucking snob here? most people would kill to be in my shoes... solid career, bad ass house, bad ass computer in my home office, 2 hdtv's, a truck, and an m3 at 27 years old. I should be happy with what I have, and I am.... but with an upgrade i could be happier, no?

And then it goes back to the no warranty thing. i'm 8500 miles away from inspectionII (2nd major service interval) which costs about $2500 itself, and if anything else breaks on it, it's huge money. Ultimately, it might end up costing me more to keep the e46 (a tranny is 10 grand!!)

I dunno.

Thoughts?

Its a lot of money but you know how it goes when you want something... at least I know how that goes with myself when I want something =)

If you get it, we need to setup a race. Z VS M it should be fun.

this isn't a 'what car should i buy' thread. frankly, there's already talks of huge dealer markups on 'em and it's looking to be an 80k car, which i can't afford. Frankly, 60 is pushing it IMO.

Screw that! get a 911TT!!!!

If you like the M and feel you can afford it, then go for it, just make sure you tie it into your home business and write it off =)

My take on the situation is to buy what you want. I am sure you bust your ass at your job, what is the point of busting your ass and then deny your self something you really want. And frankly who gives a rats ass about others opinions any ways. If you want it just do it.

in that case, keep the E46. pay it off live with it.

if you are worried about upkeep costs, dont get something German.
i know there is something to be said about luxury, heated seats in the winter are a godsend. its just a question of how much of that you want to pay for.

for me its not my style. too expensive up front, too expensive to maintain, but damn sexy.

i havent been on the boards for a while, but you asked for peoples thoughs, and have you looked at goin back to import at all?
all im gonna say is this:
IS-F

Lexus luxury, heated seats RWD, 8 speed tiptronic (had to 1 up BMWs 7 speed)
416 HP. but still with toyota durability and repair costs.

not a whole lot cheaper up front, but hella sexy, 0-60 in 4.6 and will last forever.

i'm all set with anything triptronic. i'd totally regret it, i know it.

hell, when i was at the dealer, the first thing he asked me if my car was smg. i siad no and he said good, cuz if it was, they woudn't take it as a trade. they can't move them.

thats suprising to me.
i agree there is something to be said for the far left pedal

but especially in the case of the new ones like BMWs SMG, and the new lexus box, from a performance standpoint they shift faster than a human ever could. which would naturally result in faster lap times, less time spent changing gears means more time with the right pedal on the floor.

all im really saying i guess, is dont bury yourself in debt just to have the coolest newest shit out. im just gonna keep tossing ideas out, why not save 20-30k and get an EVO 10 or new STi? or is that too ghetto and not enough luxury?

Tell the sales guy hes full of bullshit and just wants to make you happy by trying to connect with you on the SMG thing.

Bottom line, any dealership will jump on any car on a trade in, no doubt the person trading it in wont be happy with what they get but when are they ever?

Dealer can't sell them because of SMG? then they sell it to another dealer in a different county or different state, there's a market for it somewhere.

down here in FL...everyone and their sister has BMW's.... Thats almost all I see on the road.... But down here, people have more money.

If you want it...then get it. If your perfectly set financially, then your golden. But always remember...in life....something always pops up. Medical issues with a loved one, house problems, loss of a job, market flipping upside down, unexpected pregnancies....etc...

I still think your jumping in too fast into buying high dollar things, but you do seem to be having good luck with doing it. There will be a stopping point for it...because you can only up-grade things to a point...then your going to just end up with overly up-graded stuff for no real reason. Maybe that might be why your love life has been on a huge roller coaster lately... You want too much, expect too much, and/or/are too picky for the things you want.

Your leading yourself into a situation that one day you will have all the pimpest shit anyone can own...and you meet a girl...and she's only going to go out with you because you pimp the best stuff, and she will expect it all the time. But your going to be so deep into bills that you wont have any money left over to buy her something nice, go somewhere like a vacation to Europe, or afford a decent wedding that will match the caliber of the things you have.....and then you get divorced...and it's all gone.

But what do I know....I'm 35, on my second wife, in over my head with debt because I also want pimp shit and a cool house... I'm stuck down in Florida working for the same money, but all expenses are paid by the company, and away from my cars, projects, loved one and friends. And it boils down to money. I want less debt, so when something happens, I can take care of it, and not get into deeper debt and have to give up things I already worked hard for. I limit myself to fast cars that I build myself, and does the same performance that the high end cars can do. (just never got the time to build them...because I work too much to afford them) Also I'm still working on getting a safety buffer bank account that can afford any unexpected happenings, a quick romantic trip to some other country, or setting up the wife to have a happy life if I have an accident and pass on, or get laid up in the hospital for years.

You already have enough toys and a pimp house...start working on a sweet bride, and maybe a few kids that you can enjoy raising.;)

You're fucking crazy. I think you're living a little too noob rich if you get my drift. 10k is not a very stable backdrop if you need.

What happens if you lose your job? Based on what I know - that 10k might last you 2-3 months. I just feel your heading to financial ruins if your spending continues at the rate that it is.

Lastly, its a car, in no way shape or form does it make you any better of a person "owning" it. Its the worst "investment" one can make and you're completely pissing that money away for the next 5 years. The depreciation will fuck ya hard in the long run.

Material items don't buy happiness, Brian...just remember that.

Sorry for the small reality check, but as a friend, I think its a ridiculous move...

Back