Softest riding struts for a CRX?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Looking for the smoothest riding struts for a Crx. I commute 200 miles a day on lumpy roads. Performance cornering isn't needed. Any suggestions? Pretty much set on neuspeed sport springs, but open to suggestions there as well.

I figure adjustable will give you more tunability for comfort but they can be pricey. I had one way KYB's on Neuspeed Race 2.25" springs. They rebounded nicely for street driving and work for a while but (like all shocks do) they eventually went out and the bounce came back.

I put KYB Agx's with neuspeed sports on one of my CRXs.. They rode fantastic, but I was more worried about handling with that one. Too harsh even cranked down for what I'm after. Just a gas mileage machine that floats me to work on a cloud. Gas mileage is easy in a Rex. Never tried to make one ride like a rolls.

"oem" si replacements? it will be a little sporty and ride smooth. probably can get a lifetime warranty from autozone.etc

That is a thought. Would like to avoid the monster truck look, but I suppose it's all a trade.

I've been searching for options and everyone bitches about the Tien S Tech springs being too soft.. Maybe that is my ticket. Anyone have any experience with them?

I figure your ride will be dictated more by the springs than the shocks.

My quick search seems to lead me to think Tein S are pretty dang close to stock spring rates.

That's what I've read as well. And sit .3 inches higher than neuspeed.. More travel is a plus. Lots of crying about riding on / smacking bump stops and the drop being too aggressive.. Which is really contradictory to the specs.. Apparently fakes are rampant with the S techs.. Maybe that is what those people purchased?

Koni also has the "FSD" dampers, supposed to be firmer than stock at 1hz and softer at 10hz for a miraculous ride. Sounds a lot like the sensa tracs to me.

Last edited:
After options and trade offs I went with the Koni Oranges (STR.T) and Neuspeed Sport springs.

The oranges are recommended for mild drop springs,as an oe/entry level performance strut. A bit firmer than stock but not much. Also purchased a set of extended spring hats that should give the shock +~1.5 inches of travel before it hits the bumps.

Now I'm in a spring isolator fiasco.

Last edited:
They have reds as a direct oe, the oranges are a bit firmer and are recommended for use with drop springs.

Finally laid down a couple thousand miles with this combo. It seems to me that the springs are out muscling the koni STR.Ts. Ride isn't great. Its not soft and cushy. And it doesn't handle great, either. I hit a mark between great handling/harsh and ride comfort, but it does neither.

That being said, my daily is an E92 with the sport package.. So I have nothing but totally amazing to compare it to. Apples and Oranges.

Back