Sony Mylo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

George777

^^ Likes Bewbies
Anybody heard of this thing yet? Someone at work told me about it. I guess it's essentially a pocket computer, but with a Skype account you can make calls to others.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...false&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1

I can see it's advantages and disadvantages. But as long as there is web service, you could theoretically always have phone service too. Since I primarily text, I could save a ton of money by getting something like this.

Skype allows you to text people? If not, wouldn't you still need an interface to send text from a "computer" to a phone?

From what I gather, the unit itself is more of the "computer". As long as you have internet service/wifi, you can text people via AIM, Yahoo, etc. In order to make calls to landlines/computers/cell phones, you would need a Skype account and it would go off the same internet service.

I could be wrong on that though. That is why I am asking for people's opinions on it.

From what I gather, it seems similar to the iPod touch on the internet side of things. As long as you have signal/service, you can browse and whatnot.

I guess ultimately what I am trying to find out is if there are enough places that you could get wireless from if you were out and about and opted to use this as a replacement for a cell phone. I have never dealt with Skype, and I never took my iPod touch out with me, so I never really paid much attention to the availability of WiFi. I do know that many places like McDonalds and Starbucks offer WiFi, but other than that, I don't know.

Back