Space Shuttle Blew Up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yea i have been listing to it all morning. CBS first talked about it after they had lost comunications for 15 minutes and starting reporting when the shuttle had been 2 minutes late for landing. Scary stuff. They were saying that the panels were emmiting a toxic fume that would form a membrane in your lungs causing suffication within 48 hours. All you in texas, stay away from that stuff, stay smart, stay safe.

My mom heard the boom this morning, it shook all the doors in the house...Apparently most of Dallas heard it too... That sucks
Sad story indeed :(

that's really horrible, not only in itself but we have peple in the space station we were supposed to make a delivery to in May (I think it's May). When the Challenger went, the space program haulted for two years. Considering the complexity of the job Nasa does, 14 dead astronaughts really istn't that bad. I'm not saying this isn't a big deal, but I still have faith in the space program.

Just another loss in the search for scientific knowledge. It is very sad. Take a moment to think about the austronauts's families.

:(

The delivery part is not the biggest deal, the russians use unmaned rockets for alot of the supply deliveries. Also there are excape pods on the spacestation for excape. The major problem is how to get a new crew up there. The funding for the space program in the past decade has gone down the tubes and something like this makes shit even worse. They are saying that the debris feild is hundreds of miles long.

last time this happened, they were taking a teacher into space. they were just getting ready to start taking teachers into space again....maybe thats a bad idea ;)

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Feb 1 2003, 02:20 PM
Considering the complexity of the job Nasa does, 14 dead astronaughts really istn't that bad.

Any loss is bad. they need to make the space crafts somewhat safer or something, like put the astronauts in another capsule inside the spacecraft; like how a rollcage works. they said some debris caused it to blow up or something.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Feb 1 2003, 11:54 AM-->
Silverchild79
@Feb 1 2003, 02:20 PM
Considering the complexity of the job Nasa does, 14 dead astronaughts really istn't that bad.

Any loss is bad. they need to make the space crafts somewhat safer or something, like put the astronauts in another capsule inside the spacecraft; like how a rollcage works. they said some debris caused it to blow up or something.

i highly doubt it would do much for them entering the atmosphere at mach 6 (6 times the speed of sound) at that point, i dont think there is much else that can be done to make them safer.

it is a very sad thing, i woke up to it on the news this morning, my prayers go out to the astornaughts and their families.

make them safer?? i personally think 2 accidents in 23 years is a pretty good record

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 1 2003, 03:12 PM
make them safer?? i personally think 2 accidents in 23 years is a pretty good record

it is very sad what happened this morning... but E_SolSi is right... we can't do too much to make them any safer... 2 accidents in 17 years isn't bad... cause i do believe it was in 1986 the other shuttle blew up right after launch :(

yeah its sad they didnt make it back home. i pray for their families.

my one concern is this: one of the members of the crew was an Israeli. do ya think he may have done something to have caused this? this is my thought...any takers on this??

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Feb 1 2003, 10:08 PM
my one concern is this: one of the members of the crew was an Israeli. do ya think he may have done something to have caused this? this is my thought...any takers on this??

Come on now :( I feel sorry for the families of the astronauts.

they need to make the space crafts somewhat safer or something

They weren't exactly going fifty down the interstate buddy.

I doubt it. I don't see them ruining the crowning moment of their space program so they can throw a wrench into the works of their ally. Just crazy unreal. It sounds like they already know what caused it. One of the external fuel tanks chipped the tiles on the wing during take of. Causeing a "Zipper effect" during landing, I'm no scientist (let alone a rocket scientist) but it seems believeable enough.

Originally posted by cnn.com@Shuttle Story
An administration official said the shuttle's altitude made it "highly unlikely" it fell victim to a terrorist act. FBI officials also were quick to discount the possibility of foul play or terrorism.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Feb 1 2003, 04:08 PM
yeah its sad they didnt make it back home. i pray for their families.

trailer park, no.... i think you're a victim of a war-sensationalized media propoganda effort. CNN keeps talking about how there were 6 people and 1 israeli, and I can't stand it. Not only do they dehumanize israelis, but they make people more scared about retarded terrorism stuff. Well, if CNN had said that Terrorism Elves had hijacked the shuttle, I'd have totally believed them. Oh well.

Moreover, It was probably just a malfunction of the wing (hydraulics were blamed in some reports) upon reentry. (Once again, the Terrorism Elves story is plasuible in this situation too)

If our media cares so much about race, why don't they mention that one of the astronauts was an Indian?

It's a sad day in NASA history. Hopefully we can move on quickly, and continue sending people into space without any wait. Lets not have another challenger backlash.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Feb 1 2003, 02:54 PM

i dont think a rollcage from 200,000 feet and 1-42395634208mph is going to be very effective, imho.
accidents happen.. it's very unfortunate, but nasa has a remarkable track record for doing this for as long as they have. being an astronaut is a dangerous job, they knew the risks they were taking. my heart goes out to all of their families. :(

Mach ~15 is not a very fun speed to stop at. A rollcage, or anything analogous to it, would likely not provice suffecient safety against Heat and Speed. If the outside of the space shuttle is compromised, they have some protective layers .. but if the outside has been compromised (and it's the strongest stuff, duh!), then how the heck is something inside going to provide safety?

Back