Speed Control

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ANP320

I have a 97 Civic EX SOHC Vtech and i only top out at 100mph. My dad says that it has a "governing system" on it wich controls the speed. He wont tell me how to take it off, so if he is correct....could some1 please tell me how to take it off? If he is incorrect..can some1 please tell me wut to take off? Thanks.

You should "top out" at 120mph. Either your speedo isnt reading right or your car just doesnt have enough balls to put you up there.

120mph should be redline in 4th, or just before vtec in 5th. It will take you a while to hit it in 5th. So if you really wanna hit it (for whatever reason), taking 4th to redline would be the fastest way to get there.

As far as removing the limit, you would have to chip your ecu or get an ignition box that allows you to set your own limit.

its an automatic....how do i chip the ECU?...b/c i was on the interstate and it only went to 100mph and i was runnin on 100 for like a mile....so it def. has a speed sensor on it....so how do i chip the ECU? is that all i can do about it?

Just get a different ECU. That, or go to PGMFI.org and learn how to chip your ECU.

I always thought that the speed limiter on your car made the car jerk becuase I had a car that did that, but I haven't had a newer honda up to the limit before. I agree, something has to be going on with you car (governer), even my currently N.A. Crv goes 100.

The real question I'd be asking is, why are you going 100 in the first place? I bet your not on the track, but I could be wrong. So whatever your answer is; that's the reason its there...

The main problem is that you will need a new ECU to get rid of the limit, as far as I know. The 97 year honda's (I'm almost 100% sure) came with Obd2 computers, whitch noone has figured out what the %*#& to do with yet, so you can't fix it. I've been to PGMFI and all of their chipping stops at OBD2, they don't know. They basically say to switch to an OBD1 computer and then do what you need to (chip it, etc) The extra part of difficulty comes that your car is an automatic, some of the older computers, I'm pretty sure, came with seperate automatic trans. controllers. So I'm not saying it can't be done, because I'm sure it can, but I just don't see the justification.

Just for your referance, an OBD1 Computer can probably be had at a junkyard for 40-50$, then an OBD2-OBD1 conversion cable is about 100$ from the internet. And I think that most of them do NOT incorperate the Automatic tranny wiring in the crossover, so you will have to make that yourself.

Buzz1167
Jon N

:withstupid:

why you trying to go that fast anyways? Maybe your dad has a point in telling you its limited so you dont do somethign stupid... like say.... wreck and kill yourself.

Thanks guys for your help...i appreciate all the answers. not to be a dickhead but im a kid and everyone knows that kids like to go fast and be showoffs. Im just curious how fast my car will go. Im not going to go my top speed everywhere i go. Once i get more stuff done to my car....ill take it to the track...b/c rite now my car is slow...haha. Thanks tho everyone. :D B)

Back