springs and retainers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
hello, i'm thinking of replacing the springs and retainers in the B18C while i have the motor out, but no aftermarket cams yet. also, i'm not sure which cams i will run in it later, so i'm looking for a good all around spring retainer combo that can work with anything up to skunk2 stage2 or toda spec B (wont go much more wild than those).
thanks

what do you guys think of the portflow dual springs and retainers? anyone using these?

Originally posted by B16@Oct 12 2003, 05:53 PM
what do you guys think of the portflow dual springs and retainers? anyone using these?

use a chromoly Retainor. Titainum tend to wear out soon. For valves, use stainless steal. (dont use Skunk2 valves)

I have Skunk 2 Stage 2 cams and skunk 2 springs and retainers and there the best out there I think! I would go with skunk 2!! ;)

The bigger cam lobes on the Skunk2 Stage 2's are really hardcore. However, the problem is that the primary lobes are not much bigger than stock, if at all. Consequently, there will be considerable bog either right before VTEC if you set the crossover high when the small lobes wane in power production, or right after VTEC engages if you set the crossover low. There's really no happy medium. I've ridden in both B16 and B18C powered cars and the bog is omnipresent, regardless of crossover setting. They are good cams for the money, but I would suggest Toda. Their primary lobes are also bigger and result n better low end torque and a really smooth VTEC crossover. Toda cams are spendy but are well worth the moolah IMHO. Spec B's are awesome! :D

Originally posted by asmallsol+Oct 12 2003, 04:08 PM-->
@Oct 12 2003, 05:53 PM

use a chromoly Retainor. Titainum tend to wear out soon. For valves, use stainless steal. (dont use Skunk2 valves)

Why do you say avoid Skunk2 valves?

As for not using Titanium I have heard this but noone has posted solid proof of failure. Could someone let us know why we keep hearing this?

personally im using PORTFLOW Ti Retainers and Dual Race Valve Springs... Stock Type R Valves [i wanted Ti valves but then i didnt want to spend the money of having the valve guides finished in berylium]

but the thing is when i got my valve springs, Tom @ Portflow asked me what cams im gonna run because he wanted to make sure he didnt use springs that wouls cause retainer failure

but since you have narrowed it down to two cam profiles you are thinking about using, give portflow a call and see what spring and retainer set they recommend... from what i gather from Tom he says it all depends on the cams

hope that helps

B)

BTW... when did you get a b18c? lol im soo late i know

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Oct 15 2003, 12:23 PM
but since you have narrowed it down to two cam profiles you are thinking about using, give portflow a call and see what spring and retainer set they recommend... from what i gather from Tom he says it all depends on the cams

Yup. You want to run a spring just heavy enough to control the valve on top of your selected lift and duration- go too much more over and you have a spring that will start damaging your cams or break your retainers.

Originally posted by Calesta+Oct 15 2003, 09:33 AM-->
2 litre EG
@Oct 15 2003, 12:23 PM

Yup. You want to run a spring just heavy enough to control the valve on top of your selected lift and duration- go too much more over and you have a spring that will start damaging your cams or break your retainers.

see i was trying to say that but i didnt know the right words hahaha

<//~~~ jackass over here

:p :lol:

Well, whatever it's called... the ramp up/down profile (going from open to closed and the other way around) matters too, along with your maximum rev level.

Originally posted by kevs_92gsr@Oct 14 2003, 05:36 PM
I have Skunk 2 Stage 2 cams and skunk 2 springs and retainers and there the best out there I think! I would go with skunk 2!! ;)

...saw a car blow up on the dyno a couple weeks ago because of manufactured defects in the cams, skunk 2 has been producing in taiwan and their mass manufacturing has been causing accuracy rate to drop. . . my opinion, go with honda, type R cams springs and retainers...(ohh yeah trust me, too long to explain, but it was the cams fault)

Originally posted by Bl6CRX+Oct 15 2003, 09:56 AM-->
kevs_92gsr
@Oct 14 2003, 05:36 PM

...saw a car blow up on the dyno a couple weeks ago because of manufactured defects in the cams, skunk 2 has been producing in taiwan and their mass manufacturing has been causing accuracy rate to drop. . . my opinion, go with honda, type R cams springs and retainers...(ohh yeah trust me, too long to explain, but it was the cams fault)

why should he trust you? lol

i mean personally i like skunk 2 but im not gonna blow'm up like alot of other people... ever since Skunk2 moved down here to so cali MAYBE they have been manufacturing in taiwan, i havent gone to their shop since they moved down here...

i only went there when they were in hayward

but yeah again why should he trust you? :p

im loving my crower springs/retainers if u care, they were resonably cheap and are holding up great.

Back