spun bearing help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boostedb16a2

So i just bought a 2000 si with a spun bearing.. need to know where to start and what i should look for. engine has a turbonetics turbo kit on it with Neptune chipped P28. the car starts and has a knock on the bottom end. i know i have to pull the pan and examine the rod bearings get the crank checked and all that good stuff, but what are the possibilities and what should i look for
Im a noob honda tuner and i came across this deal and i took it.. looking for some good advice or maybe even a fresh b16 but i only have little funds to work with. thinking of buying a short block and swapping my head onto that motor since mine is ported and polished.
Pleeeeeease help!!!!! :confused::(

A short block would be the cheapest and easiest route. Though, you never know what the damage is until you look.

Yes, thats the best way to go i think because i am willing to bet there is alot more wrong with it than just a spun brng. but you never know till you look. atleast it starts thats allways a good sign. good luck!!

i spun a rod bearing in my b18a1... and it was totaly garbage... the crank will need to be re polished. the rod is fine bc the bearng dosnt spin on it. but a short block will be good for you unless you will want to spend the monie on a new crank,,,,then u mine as whell get some eagle rods turn the boost up and go

when i bought the car it was already boosted with eagle rods, wiseco 81.5 mm pistons bored .20 over and the head is done.. i think he just for whatever reason didnt do a forged crank or ACL bearings and then he over revved the engine..
Is it hard to break an eagle rod?? or can i buy just ONE eagle rod with ACL bearings??
this car is very clean and only has 69xxx miles on it but he said he got bored with it and wanted a bike so i traded him even up for my 05 gixxer 1000 that needed a clutch and tires so we pretty much had an even trade.
But im gonna post pics of the carnage this weekend that falls on my face when i take down the pan lol
any help is appreciated guys thanks:mellow:

so you think just get a good oem crank and get someone to measure the clearances, and put my block back together. that sounds like a plan to me.
i doubt that i bent any rods, is it hard to bend an eagle rod though?? should i be worried about damage to the pistons and rings?

so.. stock crank, get clearences checked by machinest.. and should i go with ACL bearings or just regular oem bearings?? and do you recommend that i get a new oil pump just to make sure mine didnt fail??

so i got the motor pulled, theres copper all through my pan, no big metal chunks tho. i think i am going to send the block out to get line bored and hot tanked then take a better look at the pistons...
Definately found the rod that was knocking.

Now.. my new question? before i tore the pan off i did a compression test. had 135 on all cylinders but the one with the bad bearing. Question: when the bearing spun would it make that cylinder have practically no compression?? some say yes and some say no. lemme know what you think. really trying to do things right! :confused:

Back