Starting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecjdm

I got this wierd prob.
Got a jdm d15b with no probs whatsoever .. powerfull as hell for a small 1.5 motor.

Anyway, my little prob is that sometimes (on rare occations) it doesnt wanna start.
At first i thought the battery was being drained .. but no, so i am thinking its the coil inside the dizzy.
Infact it starts right off in the morning, but when i go out and park it for say 2 hrs i get the prob.
The wierd thing is that when starting i turn the ignition (engine starts turning and then fires off normally) but sometimes it simply keeps turning and no start.

Then when i almost loose hope of starting the car after 3 - 4 takes - at that precise second as soon as i RELEASE the ignition ... hey .. it fires off ... wtf ?? Its pissing me off ..

Help guys ! :worthy:

((I heared many stories about coils goin bad on hondas .. but what are the symptoms that the coil is tired ? ... or could it be the starter... or what ??))

Your ignitor could be the problem also. Just go ahead and replace teh coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and tell us how it goes. If it still acts up, I would replace teh ignitor. It's about $90, so thast why I say wait on that after you trouble shoot the other things I mentioned.

right, so would it be easier to replace whole dizzy ? orr ..

Just in case i don think the prob could be the key cylinder ? .. dont think so but u know <_<

And btw, another quick question ..regarding the LSD.

I came across a site which says that even on a sohc, to make sure if u have or have not LSD to just look inside where the axles meet inside the gearbox.
If there is nothing in between the axles then its an LSD. ... true or false ? :huh:

I doubt your ignition is bad (the keyhole).

about the LSD. I beleive that is true, but another way is to put the front end on jack stands and spin one wheel. if both spin, you have an LSD.

Starter probably. On the LSD, that is correct, if you look into the diff there should be no bar going across.

Got the same problem for a long time with the starting on my mini-me swap previously. Always start without fail when cold but when the engine is heated up, there are times, it just cranks and cranks without starting. Have to re-try a couple of times for it to start.

Then after half a year one fine day the engine just jammed when trying to start, even when cold, have to sit for a while or re-try a few times. Then I noticed something strange with the coolant level, it was extremely high when hot, swelling the reservoir tank, when it cools down, the level drops significantly from the previous run (short distance even) even emptying itself out at times. Later I found it was a leaky head gasket. (My cylinder head was probably warped in the first place) Had bubbles all the way when trying to bleed the system. So I replaced the entire engine with a JDM D15B VTEC engine, but TRANSFERRED the dizzy (thought to be the culprit, replaced everything, didn't work), intake manifold/TB, tranny and even the starter (thought to be the culprit too) from the mini-me and from then on it always starts clean as a whistle.

This was indeed a mysterious problem which stucked with my car for more than half a year. Hope it gave you some leads.

ok punisher so the prob exactly was .. the starter .. or what ? u said u even used the same dizzy ?
Man i donno what to think anymore.. mine only does it usually when i leave it some 2 - 3 hrs parked. In the morning it just fires off.

So for the lsd i should jack it up leave it in free and turn one wheel to see if the other one turns too.. ami right ?

From what i remember though when popping off my axles last time hell ... i think i got a jdmd15b vtec with lsd trans! .. hehe..
It does drive great mind you, but exactly an lsd transfers the power from a wheel to another when there`s no traction on the other wheel or not ?

Originally posted by vtecjdm@Jul 16 2005, 07:36 AM
ok punisher so the prob exactly was .. the starter .. or what ? u said u even used the same dizzy ?
Man i donno what to think anymore.. mine only does it usually when i leave it some 2 - 3 hrs parked. In the morning it just fires off.

So for the lsd i should jack it up leave it in free and turn one wheel to see if the other one turns too.. ami right ?

From what i remember though when popping off my axles last time hell ... i think i got a jdmd15b vtec with lsd trans! .. hehe..
It does drive great mind you, but exactly an lsd transfers the power from a wheel to another when there`s no traction on the other wheel or not ?
[post=527166]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe he said the problem was his head gasket.

Anyway, Without LSD, when you peel out, only one wheel spins most of the time. the other just sits there. It transferrs the power to the wheel that is spinning fastest. Which is stupid, because that is the wheel with no traction.

With LSD, when you peel out, both wheels spin, and the one that spins slower gets the power. Leading to faster launches, quicker acceleration, cornering, etc, etc..

Back