steering rack help. 88-91 ef civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

muuurph

Alright, i need to know if theres bushings inside a steering rack on 88-91 civic ef or if there just on the outside, theres a kit on ebay eBay Motors: PROTHANE STEERING RACK BUSHING 88-91 CIVIC URETHANE (item 110305118324 end time Nov-04-08 05:15:39 PST)=

that im wondering if they go inside...on my passanger side i can grab the tie rod end and wiggle it up and down and its gotten so bad that going down the road at 60 and the tire wobbles...needs to be fixed ive drove it as long as it will go haha.

thanks, if i do need a new rack ill just go to a junk yard.

yeha i just looked in my master energy suspension hyper-flex system and it has 5 bushinhgs for the rack, 4 of them are smaller...do they go inside or not...ill do the work tomarrow if it means i can go 140 mph again haha

no the 4 smaller ones are for where the rack bolts under the car and the circle bushing is for the passenger side just above the control arm, did you for play in the inner and outter tie rods?

just the passager i can grab way in on the rod and move the whole rack up and down...i guess im going to a junk yard...how do you get the steering rack off once the 4 bolts and tie rod ends are out..that pinon thing on top is hooked and i couldnt figure the damn thing out.

have you replaced the tie rods yet, that would be cheaper to do, it a manual rack right? it a tight fit in there i took mine out when the motor was out of the car you may have to take the outter tie rods off to get it out but im not to sure,
13sh30_b33.gif

number 28 are the same ones and 12 is the other bushing

The rack has four bolts, the rubber bushing should go on passenger side. Remember you need to remove shift linkage and exhaust and some flexiability if your doing it by yourself.

yeah i know where the bushings go now...thats a new tie rod end, i mean i can try it but i can tell its not a tie rod end..but on the other hand i dont know why they would make the rack so it would go bad like that..how do you get the pinon out of the rack? i had the rack unbolted yestersday and that was the only thing holding me up, yeah its the same rack as in the picture.

I have the same exact problem. You definitely need a new rack, and that's all you can do to fix it, unless you do a rack rebuild, which is a waste of money.

Most parts shops sell rebuilt racks for ~$300. Or you can gamble with a used one from a wrecking yard or ebay. I'd reccomend the rebuild.

im picking one up from a yard for 100...only reason im doing that and not buying a new one for like 250-300 is cause i need other stuff ATM...

Back