Stock B18C1 with .7 BAR of boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

which hondata system should i get to run my gsr with about 11 psi of boost from my custom turbo kit- S100 or S200? i know that both can come with boost, but which one would be the best for a proper tune on this setup? there is a local shop that tunes hondata, so i just need to find out the best set up to start with when i go there-

ok i got some answers from the shop and i just want to see if these prices seem about right to what every else paid- For an s200b system
ECU socketing $73
s200 $295
boost option $200
3 bar map sensor $90
baseline program fee $65
shipping $35
Total $758

*Plus if i buy the hondata system from them, they charge 100 dollars per hour of dyno tuning and they said it usually takes about 2-4 hours to tune a stock gsr at 12 psi of boost- :feedback:

That management system is great for that motor and your paying normal prices, even lower than what i expected. A friend of mine paid about 1000 for his whole hondata system

sounds good! i'd give you the thumbs up but i dont have that emoticon.
BTW when do you expect to finish boosting the GSR and what have stuff you using? just curious cause i got the same project goin on and want to make sure mine is better :p j/k

the baseline tune fee of $65 sounds ridiculous if you are going to get it tuned afterwards. baseline tune is about a minute of work and a $1 chip. You get the baselines for free from hondata with the editor-enabled systems, so why pay $65 for them.

Other than that, it looks decent.

hmm, ok i wasn't sure what that baseline program business went-

-I'm hoping to be boosted my no later than august, but due to some financial set backs with the motor, it might have to wait until next spring- we'll see, but rest assured, but boost gsr will be MUCH better than yours :p

you'd better hurry cause by next spring, my boosted LS will eat your GSR for breakfast without as much as a burp. :) Probably give you a run for your money due to power/weight ratio alone right now.

Currently: <2000lbs 91 HF, stock B18B, tubular manifold, t3, 3" DP, 3" stainless exhaust catless, starion, 450s, toda flywheel, action 6md clutch, custom GCs/AGXes

Toys already purchased but not installed: ported head, prototype EF1 race cams, valvetrain good to 8000, cam gears, both 550 and 860 cc injectors, ST rear bar

Next round: 3bar MAP sensor, rewelded Cummins / Powerstroke intercooler, Holset HX25, HX30 or HY35 turbo, RM Rods/CP Pistons, 1-2bar of boost.

junk yard turbo warrior beyotch.

heheheheeh- i'm afraid i won't be boosting until next spring anyway- but i still think my GSR-t fully stripped 92 hatch will be awful hard for you to beat :p

Originally posted by radnulb@Mar 31 2004, 09:25 AM
you'd better hurry cause by next spring, my boosted LS will eat your GSR for breakfast without as much as a burp. :)

i'll take that challenge! :D

..rewelded Cummins / Powerstroke intercooler..

thats sounds like a pretty big IC dude. i doubt if your 'junk yard' parts from other cars/trucks are gonna be better then my new parts designed for my application. not to be a dick but it sounds like you dont know a whole lot about what you're doin but thats just my opinion, i could be wrong. again im NOT flaming you so DONT take offense..

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA+Mar 31 2004, 09:15 PM-->
@Mar 31 2004, 09:25 AM
you'd better hurry cause by next spring, my boosted LS will eat your GSR for breakfast without as much as a burp. :) 

i'll take that challenge! :D

..rewelded Cummins / Powerstroke intercooler..

thats sounds like a pretty big IC dude. i doubt if your 'junk yard' parts from other cars/trucks are gonna be better then my new parts designed for my application. not to be a dick but it sounds like you dont know a whole lot about what you're doin but thats just my opinion, i could be wrong. again im NOT flaming you so DONT take offense..

:mullet:
Hmmm... Sounds like somebody needs to spend some time over at pgmfi.org

Originally posted by Jim Truett@Mar 31 2004, 06:46 PM
Hmmm... Sounds like somebody needs to spend some time over at pgmfi.org

i did yesterday in fact cause i was thinking about going with uberdata instead of hondata but then i came to my senses ;)
im not sure if you're implying that because he founded that site hes a guru or what but too big of an intercooler will undoubtedly result in turbo lag. :D

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA+Mar 31 2004, 09:59 PM-->
Jim Truett
@Mar 31 2004, 06:46 PM

Hmmm...  Sounds like somebody needs to spend some time over at pgmfi.org

i did yesterday in fact cause i was thinking about going with uberdata instead of hondata but then i came to my senses ;)
im not sure if you're implying that because he founded that site hes a guru or what but too big of an intercooler will undoubtedly result in turbo lag. :D

You came to your senses regarding Hondata? Doug thanks you. I myself prefer to do things myself, rather than just shell out $ for others to do the work for me. And yes I do think blundar may know a little more than most when it comes to tuning Hondas.

Originally posted by Jim Truett@Mar 31 2004, 08:37 PM
You came to your senses regarding Hondata? Doug thanks you. I myself prefer to do things myself, rather than just shell out $ for others to do the work for me. And yes I do think blundar may know a little more than most when it comes to tuning Hondas.

what are you talking about? Hondata can be programmed by anybody and was prob where he got the idea for uberdata. if somethin fucks up with your uberdata setup and theres nobody near you that can fix or tune it or help you, then what? thats not a risk im willing to take. im choosing hondata because of the support that comes with it- plus there are hondata dealers out there.
everybody's got their limits to DIY-mine happens to be taking my ECU apart and soldering a few electrical components in there. ill have hondata do that for me and ill purchase their self tuning software and tune my car myself-why? because im not so poor i have to buy my parts from a junkyard. :D
and i never said blundar didnt know anything about hondas -

peace :)

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA+Apr 1 2004, 12:08 AM-->
Jim Truett
@Mar 31 2004, 08:37 PM

what are you talking about? Hondata can be programmed by anybody and was prob where he got the idea for uberdata. if somethin fucks up with your uberdata setup and theres nobody near you that can fix or tune it or help you, then what? thats not a risk im willing to take. im choosing hondata because of the support that comes with it- plus there are hondata dealers out there.
everybody's got their limits to DIY-mine happens to be taking my ECU apart and soldering a few electrical components in there. ill have hondata do that for me and ill purchase their self tuning software and tune my car myself-why? because im not so poor i have to buy my parts from a junkyard. :D
and i never said blundar didnt know anything about hondas -

peace :)

Um, yeah...

Doug is the owner of Hondata by the way.

Uberdata and Crome can be tuned by anyone as well. All you need is a PC, an EPROM programmer, a few $2 blank chips and a few hours time. You can purchase a wideband o2 kit and street tune it, or purchase a few hours of dyno time.
You will need the dyno time to tune the Hondata as well.

DIY:

Uberdata or Crome ROM editors - Free
EPROM Programmer - $100
Blank Chips - $15
Misc parts to chip ECU - $15
Wideband o2 with Datalogging - $500 or Dyno tune time - $500 B)

Hondata:

S200b - $495
Datalogging - $200
ROM Editor v3 - $200
EPROM programmer $100
Dyno Tune time - $500 :blink:

Yeah, I think I'll go DIY.

Originally posted by Jim Truett@Mar 31 2004, 09:24 PM
Um, yeah...

Doug is the owner of Hondata by the way.

no shit :lol:
Uberdata or Crome ROM editors - Free
EPROM Programmer - $100
Blank Chips - $15
Misc parts to chip ECU - $15
Wideband o2 with Datalogging - $500 or Dyno tune time - $500

dont forget the price of your fried ECU :p j/k

Hondata:S200b - $495
Datalogging - $200
ROM Editor v3 - $200
EPROM programmer $100
Dyno Tune time - $500
Yeah, I think I'll go DIY.

im not saying its a bad deal-i think its fuckin great! its a the poor mans hondata! im just not a poor man :D

r u even boosting a car or just saying what u would do if u were?

ECU socketing $73 - Hondata will do it for $65
s200 $295 - that's MSRP - usually you can get $10 off
boost option $200 - That's also MSRP.. maybe $5 off?
3 bar map sensor $90 - That's a rip off. the hondata unit is over priced and isn't a geniune gm part. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ part # 12223861 OUR PRICE: $51.31 3-pin wire connector: GM PART # 15305891 OUR PRICE: $17.52
and i doubt its $20 to ship those 2 little things.
baseline program fee $65 - 1 base map is included free by 90% of hondata dealers. theres 0 reason for them to charge for this
shipping $35 - for a box smaller than a shoe box that weighs 3 lbs tops? please. it better be 2 hour shipping and insured for 500000 dollars.

The only plus is the dyno fee.... but really, that's not much of a deal. most people charge $50/hr, and then you gotta pay the dyno facility. if you buy say 3 hours of time, it will probably cost you 400 bucks.

this arguing makes me sad :(

Hondata is a great system. If you can afford it, you'll save yourself a lot of the tinkering that is often involved with the DIY stuff. There is a valid argument in favor of commercial products. I personally don't mind experimenting a little bit, I own a wideband (And soon a nice EGT) so I can get a fairly good idea of whether my motor isn't running right before it actually blows up. This road isn't for everyone, Jim, but I think you've made your point well.

HellBentHONDA, I'm not rich but I'm not poor. I prefer to spend as much of my money as possible on things other than cars, such as food, going out, alcohol, marajuana, condoms and travelling. I'm not saying that a junkyard setup will be faster than a well-engineered custom setup from new parts. I guess I don't SAY how much fabrication work is involved in many of my adventures. For example, both the Cummins + Powerstroke ICs are WAY too massive to use on a honda. However, if you cut them in half or third and re-weld tanks, you have a really nice piece that ends up being approx 6-10" (depending on cut) x 2" x 30" which is nice for a larger boost setup. I happen to have access to an AC TIG so it isn't an issue to do the fab work on it. I choose Holset turbos over Precision's hype for two simple reasons: 1. they're relatively cheap as they are OEM on the Cummins Diesels. The HY35 found on the automatics or the wack ass turbo with the bend on the compressor that is coming on the 2002+ motors are *relatively* small and would probably compare to a .63AR T3/04E in terms of spool time. 2. they are a 100% technology turbo as opposed to all the hype surrounding Precision. Garrett hasn't had a good idea for a turbine housing for ages... Take a look at Holset's compressor maps. You can fit the entire 75% range of a Garrett T3/04E inside the 75% range of a HX35 and have room to swim. They're much more comparable to Garrett's GT series, for a lot less of the price. (FWIW, newer Powerstrokes come with Garrett GT37s from the factory. This would be an interesting alternative for a pure drag car)

I'm all about price/performance - as much bang for my buck. I'm willing to do the fab work (because I enjoy it) to make junkyard parts work well. I'm willing to write code for my ECU to run my car well in boost because I can do it, and I enjoy it. I also recognize that these are personal preferences, and not the correct decision for everyone.

Fair enough?

Back