Stripped lug nut

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
One of the lug nuts on the crx are stripped and I cannot get the wheel off, the nut just keeps spinning on the bolt. I have tried a prybar between the wheel and the hub and put an impact on it with no luck and maybe this has made it worse. Can anybody make any suggestions on how I can get this thing off? I can't torch it because the rims are half way decent too.

Use a die grinder and remove the flange on the stud. Then pry it off. If you do it this way becareful when you pry, no point in screwing up the hub flange or stud hole.

Hmm, think I can get a grinder in there?....the lugs are recessed into the rim, they don't stick out at all. I could try a drill, just be ALOT of drilling on something like that.

he is suggesting going throught the back and cutting the stud there. Drilling will work but as you said, it will take forever.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 5 2005, 11:35 AM
he is suggesting going throught the back and cutting the stud there. Drilling will work but as you said, it will take forever.
[post=520750]Quoted post[/post]​

Ya, no room for a grinder back there...wish I had a pic of the rims.....guess the drill will have to do.

Make sure ya use a really good drill and bit... I did this on one of my rex's and it took forever. I had a shitty drill and bit though so I imagine you can get through it fairly easy with something high powered and made to go through metal.

ye happened to me once

eneded up using a prybar while racheting out w/ a pnematic tool

that was the only time i regretted geting my 15 spoke wheels or else a grinder would have fit

why not try one of those rounded bolt removers from craftsman. It sould take it off, and it will be a hell of alot easier.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 7 2005, 11:37 PM
why not try one of those rounded bolt removers from craftsman. It sould take it off, and it will be a hell of alot easier.
[post=522448]Quoted post[/post]​

An easy out?

Well I did get it out, 2 hours of drilling, and swearing at that pos thing. Nicked the rim up a couple of times, but I painted them afterwards anyway. I used my new drill bits and got a 1/2" one from sears and that got it out.

Back