Stupid kid hits cop with bat in school, cop shoots.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boostedf22

dis is why im not
FRESNO, Calif. — A police officer shot and killed a 17-year-old high school student Wednesday after authorities said the teenager clubbed the officer with a baseball bat on the packed, urban campus.

The officer fired at the student shortly before noon, after the Roosevelt High School sophomore allegedly came from behind and struck the officer in the head with a crude wooden baseball bat, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.

The officer fell down dazed, and reached for the gun in his hip holster, but the clip fell out.

As the student came at him a second time, the officer grabbed a secondary weapon — a semiautomatic handgun he carried as backup — from his ankle holster and fired one or two rounds, Dyer said. The student reportedly died within a few minutes.

"The officer was fortunate that he was able to defend himself," the chief said. "This officer had a secondary weapon that very likely could have saved his life."

The cause of the attack was not immediately known, and the officer did not know the student, Dyer said. There was no history of prior run-ins between the teen and the officer, who has been assigned to the school by the police department for the last three years, he said.

Police did not immediately release the identities of the officer or student, who was described as a Fresno resident who transferred to the school in January. The teenager was 6 feet tall and 250 pounds — larger than the officer, authorities said.

The officer was released from a local hospital Wednesday afternoon after being treated for a two-inch gash on the right side of his head, police said. He will be placed on administrative leave while the department reviews his conduct, Dyer said.

At least five students and a probation officer on campus witnessed the incident directly, but no one else was injured in the shooting, police said.

The campus was locked down for several hours as detectives combed the white school buildings and interviewed witnesses.

An automated system called all parents in the district to notify them of the shooting about three hours after it occurred, and parents of Roosevelt High School students received a second message stating that all students and staff were safe an hour later.

"The school district obviously is very saddened by this tragedy on campus, however our students on campus are safe," said Ruth Quinto, acting superintendent of Fresno Unified School District. "There certainly will continue to be support provided to all of our students here on the campus and, in particular, any witnesses to this tragedy."

Six extra district psychologists will be sent to the school Thursday to counsel students and staff, said district spokeswoman Susan Bedi.

By 2 p.m., students were allowed to leave the campus gates, where they found a crowd of nervous parents and family members waiting.

Dana Vasquez, a 14-year-old freshman, was on her way to gym class when the situation erupted in an outdoor hallway between two buildings.

"I just saw a bat swinging in the air and heard a gunshot and then I just started running," Vasquez said. She was visibly shaken when she left the school holding her mother's arm.

Ray Mendez, a volunteer at the school, said he was speaking to a remedial English class when he heard a loud popping sound outside the classroom.

"That's went I went down and saw the young man lying there and the officer was bleeding from his head. This was a real shocker. We try to prevent these kind of events at all costs," Mendez said.

Silvia Carrillo, whose daughter is a sophomore at Roosevelt High, said the shooting did not seem justified.

"My son and my brother went to school here too, and nothing like this ever happened. I think this wasn't enough for him to kill the kid," she said.

WTF

sounds like a good shoot to me :shrug2:
if unprovoked assault with a weapon isn't a good enough reason to respond with deadly force i'm not sure what is

oh thats right... the kid was just about to turn his life around and become a fine upstanding citizen... he was also working on a cure for cancer... but this cop gunned him down before he had a chance to shine

NO, the cop should die and be executed. HE had no right at all to defend his life from a poor little 17 year old. So it just happened to be that they were playing baseball in the hallway and as the victim was swinging the cop jumped right in front of him and stuck his head right in line of the bats pathway. The kid stood there and watched the cop pull out his gun and said " are you ok ". Cop said " stop, you hit me, bang bang. "

ITs possible it was an accident and the cop was so delirious from the blow to the head, ( who the fuck you know that gets hit in the head with a baseball bat and recovers that quick to make those type of drastic decisions). I don't know, it was just a 6ft 250lb man that swung the bat, the boy was either fat, or just didnt connect well. Cuz I know if someone gets hit in the head with a full swing, your going down and going down FAST.

Were I to stand witness to this, I would draw and fire with lethal intent.

I mean, someone's life was in danger. Flat out. a Firearm to protect life and limb is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, E Shut the fuck up.

You're so inconsiderate. When you said "fine upstanding citizen" some people (sorry, Californians) could have interpreted that as "a really cool gang member" in which case your sarcasm takes on a serious face.

A serious, accurate, and thus unwelcome face. Shame on you.

the kid deserved every bit of lead pumped into him. blanco, E has a point. every time something like this happens, no matter how justified, some whiny crybaby comes in saying how the cop used too much force, cruel and unusual punishment or god knows what else to try to victimize the piece of shit. the cop saved his own life. is he supposed to just take it? pretty soon cops wont be allowed to have guns or use any kind of force, if not by law, but for fear of losing their jobs.

boosted, you cant be serious...

i never mentioned any states or red/blue. i was making a point. and the person in the article who was whining wasnt related to the kid, just some mother who has kids in the school. in any case, if i had someone i knew do that, i wouldnt be crying about them, cause they got what they deserved. make bad decisions and you pay the consequences. just like my friend who died in a motorcycle crash 2 years ago. it sucks he died but there was no one to blame but him, hes the one who was going down the road at 160+.

Blanco... my post was in no way a slam on California... i also live in a blue state... and every single time a cop or armed citizen shoots a criminal or other type of shit bag who deserved every grain of lead they got, the news is flooded with people crying out about how good of a person the fucker was
i see this shit all the time in Connecticut... theres actual fucking marches protesting the police for half of these assholes that get shot... its ridiculous... he ran from the cops and pulled a gun on them after he crashed the stolen car he was driving while hopped up on crack... but he was such a good kid.... :rant:

so no Blanco... i wasnt attacking you or your state... just venting some locally sourced frustration

What a dumbass kid. He deserved to get capped, but I'da tried to get the tazer out first and that's just me but then again it wasn't me in the situation, so I really don't know if I'd have been thinking clearly enough to grab the tazer. The cop did what he had to, I have no problem with that. If it were a 18+ year old thug of that same size, there'd be no arguements about the officer's actions and just because it happened to be a highschool student some people seem to think that makes him weaker or something.

I've seen a well-built highschool coach knocked out by a big 16 year old football player for talking shit, he even dared the kid to hit him; you can't underestimate your opponent just because of their age so that arguement that a cop shouldn't need to use lethal force on a 17 year old is just plain ignorance.

I've even seen a 7th grader knock out a highschool freshmen.

The cop sounds incompetent and may have made a rash decision. Cmon, pulls his gun and the clip falls out? dee dee dee If in fact the kid attacked the officer as the articles states, then I dont know what the kid was expecting to happen. Perhaps he wasnt in the state of mind to lead a positive lifestyle and in such a case his death is no great loss. Still, a taser would have definitely been in order if the cop were equipped and or willing to use it.

cops dont just cary around tazers most of the time. its something they take with them to a riot or keep in the car. this cop didnt expect this to happen, from the looks of the article, sounds like the kid just walked up behind him and cracked him with the bat.

Not all departments have tazers.

A baseball bat can be considered deadly force. He got hit in the head and the kid was coming at him again. What is he supposed to do sit there and get hit repeatedly? Also how does he know that his friends weren't going to jump in. We don't know exactly what went down. The media is good at doing a one sided story. I hope you guys know that cops are supposed to shoot towards the center of the mass that is a deadly threat to them.

sounds like a good shoot to me :shrug2:
if unprovoked assault with a weapon isn't a good enough reason to respond with deadly force i'm not sure what is

oh thats right... the kid was just about to turn his life around and become a barber... he also started paying his child support last week... but this cop gunned him down before he had a chance to shine

fixed

dumb kid

I see no news story here, you attack a cop with a weapon and your are going to die, anyone who's played GTA knows this

Back