Surround Sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

I was looking into getting a surround sound system. I have a set for my computer and its a decent setup. For $20 I aint complaining and they sound good. Anyway, I want one for a room now. The computer speakers cant go true 5.1 so Im looking for a cheap set.

Looking to spend 200-300. Before you say, you need to spend 1000 to get a good setup, I cant afford that. Im not the biggest audiophile and I cant till in my cases anyway :lol: .. I just want the basics; deep bass with clear speakers. I dont need the highest fidelity. I would say like a stock car stereo system. Like I said, need just basics that good.

Don't really know what are good brands. Just looking at the walmart pioneer 1000 watt. Probably really shitty 1000 like Duraband, but its only 200.

Any input is helpful. And if you say dont waste your time or you need to spend 1000, get bent. Thats why the have Kia and Benz. Im looking for Kia :p. Cheap, gets the job done, and if breaks, i can replace if i want too.

is this for a computer or for home theatre set up?

It's a pity that Monster doesn't offer their console gaming 5.1 system anymore. They were pretty badass for only 4-500 bucks. A little more than what you're looking to spend, but I think they used Klipsch speakers so they had above average sound.

I purchased and RCA surround system from a radio shack I was working for. I believe it was 750 watts, true 5.1, all that.. for $450.00 Had amazingly clear sound and nice deep bass for the price... It would be worth looking into.

I have also been looking into that 1000 watt system at wally world.. I just can't bring myself to buy it. Pioneer used to be a really good brand, but its been sold like twice in the past few years. No telling who has it now. 1000 watt system with five speakers and a sub for 200? bucks. Its one of those too good to be true things. If you buy it, post up a review, I'd love to know.

I believe that you get what you pay for. Unless you are one of those sick-rich bastards who think that any stereo component that costs less than 20 grand is trash. Thats fucking overboard.

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 3 2005, 12:12 PM
I have also been looking into that 1000 watt system at wally world..
[post=535173]Quoted post[/post]​

1000 watts from wally world?

lmao

Denon's $20,000 receiver is only 170x9 or some shit.

Yea, 1000w doesn't mean shit. And I garantee it isn't producing a true 1000w. My Peavey head was a true 120w and it was fucking deafening.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Aug 3 2005, 11:39 AM-->
Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 3 2005, 12:12 PM
I have also been looking into that 1000 watt system at wally world..
[post=535173]Quoted post[/post]​

1000 watts from wally world?

lmao

Denon's $20,000 receiver is only 170x9 or some shit.
[post=535185]Quoted post[/post]​

170wX 9 = 1530w..... :blink:

92b16vx
@Aug 3 2005, 02:55 PM
Yea, 1000w doesn't mean shit. And I garantee it isn't producing a true 1000w. My Peavey head was a true 120w and it was fucking deafening.
[post=535341]Quoted post[/post]​

True. Very true.

I have a Klipsch quadrophoic setup, and it is fucking great. Awsome clarity, really good for gaming, listening to music, etc. The highs are really clear, and there a lot of bass if you want it. The mids could be a little better, but hey, they're small speakers. These definatly sound better than any other computer speaker I've heard, and are a lot better than those Bose speakers that are like 2" cubes.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=712

Heres a link to their 5.1 system. I've seen them new on ebay for arround $300. Whatever you do, don't go with a company like Logitech, sony, or any of the other joke audio producers. Go with someone that acutally knows something about making good audio components (and Klipsch knows there shit).

Well..the klipsch speakers, although small, are better than most home systems anyway.

Logitech's are fine. The kinds of drivers they use are just as acceptable as klipsch's.

Now i cant compare them **"oh but wait, how the f*$^ can you comment then?!?!?"** because my buddy has klipsch 2.1 and i've heard setups built from thte same components as logitech. So i'll say this: Klipsch sub = boom. Holy crap does it suck; loud-yes-but still not acceptable. I assume the logitech is the same way, since the box we built for the same driver was about twice the logitech's size.

you got $300 and want an entire surround system?

All five speakers, sub and receiver? Look for a decent HTB or a Home Theather in a Box. How big is the room? We have a bose package with the receiver for $900 at work. Lots of other options too. All depends on how deep the pocket goes and what you want to accomplish. bout the only thing you can get that is an actual componet is the receiver for three bills.

im looking at one for the home.. i know 200-300 is cutting it really cheap, but like i said i just need a decent one. besides, the room isnt that big anyway.. maybe 12x15 or something..

i already have the logitech x530 and theyre great for the money. i wanted to hook it up to the tv,but there is only stereo and not true surround sound. thats why im looking for a cheap set up. the tv is tiny anyway; 19inch. im looking for more of a celeron processor system than a p4 ee system for analogous reasons.

i know the pioneer arent 1000watts rms, but maybe at least 200-300. oh well, thanks for all the suggestions.

i can't find one home theatres in a box for under 450 bucks, and that 450 dollar one fucking blows. lol

straight up dude, you're not going to get anything for 300 bucks.

hell, my center channel cost almost that much.

the speakers can be had for 300- sure, but you're going to need a receiver to push it as well.

I like the Yamaha, I have been using Yamaha receivers for about 20 years now :) gone through three, the first was bought the week I was born, second sold, and the one I have now rocks.

Back