suspension question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rcmaniac623

hi, i had a question about my civics suspension. im buyin this guys coilovers and tokico struts from his 88-91 ef. i was wonderin if itll fit my 97 civic ex. he said if i use my front wishbones and hats, it should work, but he is not sure. can u guys confirm this? thanks

It's not going to be a direct swap, but you can make it fit with some skills.. I also think the fork on the EF shocks are different from your Civic.

Quoted from "CRX Lee" on Honda-Tech

"They are quite close but have some differences. The fronts are similar in length but not exact but the biggest difference is that the diameter of the shocks at the bottom where the wishbone mounts is smaller on the EF so an EK wishbone will not bolt up. You will need to reuse the wishbone from the EF. The spring perch diameter and diameter of the bottom spring tail on the EK is smaller than the EF and it will not sit on it quite right. If you have a coil-over sleeve system, this no longer maters as you have replaced the perch and the springs.

On the rear, the bottom of the EF has a fork that is wider mouthed but shallower than the EK. You can use this shock but you will need to use spacers or washers to essentially lengthen the bushing tube on the lower control arm to fit the shock bottom fork. Since the fork is shallower, it will bind into the control arm and bottom out at less droop than the original shock did. Don't try to just tighten the bolt really tight and squeeze the fork together with no spacers, I tried this and you will only bend the bolt as the car drives on the not properly installed parts. The spring seat and length is the same on the rear between cars.

So yes you can do it if you take these things into account and do it right. Otherwise it is not a direct bolt across, easy thing."

Back