swap options

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

well the 300zx that i was "selling" to my friend is now back in my hands.
he never paid me after a year of having the car and my dad wanted it so i went and got it :D

its been having alot of issues and i figure it will be cheaper and easier to just swap a whole new motor in it then fixing every little thing 1 by 1.

what im wondering is. should i just throw another vg30et in it or maybe an sr or rb?
how difficult are swaps in this car?

also if anyone has any good links to where i could buy said motor.

http://www.hybridz.org

The hondaswap of the Z-car community.

Yeah you can put just about any engine in it. For pure bang for bucks I'd go Chevy 350 though, just because it's so easy.

People have been known to put VG30DETTs and RB-series in them, but an SR20 would make the car pretty anemic unless you modified it right away. Z31s are pretty heavy compared to 240SXes and especially S30s.

if you fix the problems with the car you can run 12s for under a grand, if you swap motors you start adding weight..... other than that most people dont care, do what you want

well when i bought it the thing had been sitting for like 2 years. it ran fine for about 2 weeks then started messing up. backfiring, sputtering, bogging real bad. it would die and the battery wouldnt hold a charge.
had a new fuel pump, alternator, battery, spark plugs put in and the gas tank cleaned out. still never fixed it completely.
apparently it was having some electircal issues also while my friend had it, he sad he put a new dash in and fixed alot of them.

i figure it will just be easier to take a weekend and throw a whole new motor in it instead of replacing stuff 1 by 1 trying to fix it. my dad doesnt have alot of time on his hands for stuff like that.

and id rather not put a 350 in it lol. if i wanted a 350 id buy a camaro. thats just me /shrug

tsk tsk You don't know what you're passing up.

Anyway, if you're going to be picky I'd just drop a replacement engine in it.

The nissan swap will be a LOT of work. You're two best options would be a running stock motor or the 350 swap. Seriously, why are you against the 350? Its going to be more reliable and have more hp than the stock motor anyway.

just something that doesnt seem right about a nissan thats rocking with the lope of the motor and sounds like a truck

also just seems awful hickish.

"i know, well throw a 350 in her"

IMO, it's not hickish, and if you put it together right it won't rock or lope any more than it does (or doesn't) now. For what you're doing, just pick up an LS1 w/T56 and you'll have more power than the stock engine, you'll be in it the same money as if you had a stock engine with that power, a 6-speed, and a whole lot more room to grow the power. A stock LS1 will run just as smooth as the Nissan V6 and have better response because the power isn't turbo-generated.

doesnt that bodystyle have a single turbo engine (or is this the engine you have), can't remember which one, but if i remember correctly it wasn't a bad engine. My friend had one with a posi rear and it was fairly quick, i think somewhere in the 14's, not bad in my eyes. I just can't remember the engine code, but i think that wouldn't be too bad of a swap or to just keep in there. Um is this car for your dad or is it yours?

Replacing the stock engine will depend heavily on availability. You could get one anywhere from 500-1500 bucks. Even if you get a used replacement, it's going to be a nearly 20 yr old engine. You'd probably be wise to go through it and do a basic freshening anyway. So let's say 2k for a replacement in good condition. Then you also said there were electrical issues, so...

You can find deals on salvage LS1 packages for 2k to 4k. This will put you over 300/300. You can find custom made wiring harnesses per application on ebay for 300 bucks. I'm sure you could find a mount kit somewhere, and then just the custom driveshaft.

Price it out. The LS1 will be a little more money, but ask any Hybrid Z member and they'll tell you the LS1 is a dynamite engine in a Z chassis.

i have a friend that just wrecked his trans am, im gonna ask him if he still has the motor. i know he bought it back to part it out.

its my car, but its for my dad lol. my name is on the title, but he wants it so we are trying to fix it.

vg30et is the engine, its a single turbo.
i wasnt impressed when i orignially bought it, my del sol is faster, but i realise there is potential there.

i thought it was a VG30DET? or does that come in the 2g 300zx?

those cars are total shit to work on. you need kiddie hands and arms to get to anything in the engine bay.

Originally posted by micah@Jul 28 2005, 09:55 PM
i have a friend that just wrecked his trans am, im gonna ask him if he still has the motor. i know he bought it back to part it out.

its my car, but its for my dad lol. my name is on the title, but he wants it so we are trying to fix it.

vg30et is the engine, its a single turbo.
i wasnt impressed when i orignially bought it, my del sol is faster, but i realise there is potential there.
[post=532697]Quoted post[/post]​

Pick it up. Even if it's an older one with an LT1 you'll still be ahead.

And the Z32 came with the VG30DETT(DOHC V6, twin turbo). The Z31 had the VG30ET (SOHC V6, single turbo)

its a 98 t/a and it has cam and some other stuff if i remember right ;)

he even has a 6 spd for it from another t/a he totaled lol

he still hasnt replied yet, but hed sell it to me for cheap.

fack. buy that shit. if you don't, I will! lol seriously, that engine with the 6-speed will completely transform the car.

Read as much as you can on Hybrid Z, it can't possibly hurt. :)

he sold the motor, but still has the 6spd tranny :p

i dunno i think my dad is just gonna try and fix the stock motor

Bah. No fun.

If he's willing to get rid of that 6-speed for cheap, I am interested!

he just had it rebuilt for 1200 2 weeks before he wrecked the car. hes asking 1500

we are in florida panhandle so i dunno what shipping would be

Back