Swapping Out P30 To Chipped P28

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

When I do this switch will I need to disconnect the knock sensor or will it run ok with the knock sensor plugged in?

1992 si OBD1 B16

WHY?

a p30 is a bad ass ecu. chipped p28s are ebay blue light specails

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 19 2003, 02:16 PM
WHY?

a p30 is a bad ass ecu. chipped p28s are ebay blue light specails

Is that a fact?

Then I guess you have a blue light special huh? Because you're using a P28 ecu for your hondata are you not?

Tell me, what's the difference between a P28 and a P30 ecu, besides the fact that one is SOHC VTEC and the other is DOHC VTEC? One has a knock sensor, and the other does not.

:sleep:

ok, i have discussed my personal experiences with both ecu's and i'll try to be as fair as i can once again.

the p30 is the BEST ecu for a stock/close to stock b16a. the fuel curves and timing are excellent in making the best power for this setup, and remember, a b16a from honda runs perfectly, so why fix what isn't broken.

ok, with that said, chipped p28's almost always have programs that are designed to run with 1.8's. so basically, its like running a p72 (gsr ecu) with your b16a. the timing is not correct...which is going to cause a loss in hp. second, these ecu's are usually designed for mugen/jun/spoon motors which are higher compression. this means they burn more fuel, which your stock b16a just isn't capable of doing because of its lower compression and smaller displacement.

and hondata p28's are used becasue they are most common, the fact of the matter is any vtec ecu can be used, it just so happens that p28's are the least expensive.

I'm ordering it today or tomorrow, and it will be going onto a p28.

And I don't consider hondata a chip. not in the least.
like chet said, the programs that are available are just crappy unless you HAVE a skunk2-spec'ed motor, or a JUN'ed spec motor. Again, like chet said.
the p30 has an ideal fuel curve. even with a vafc, unless you dyno tune it out (if you consider a vafc a "tuning" device, cuz i don't), you are better off with a stock p30 and a vafc to make MINOR adjustments.

well i'm running a stock p30 and i'm not happy with it at all, my rev limiter is about 7800rpm, on top of that I have a speed limiter at 140 , that really bothers me when i'm goin up to the track. I'm not even getting all of the power my motor can give. I am most likely trading for a skunk2 chipped P28 what do you think?

something is wrong. p30 have an 8200 redline, not 7800.
are you sure you don't have an automatic p30 ecu?

I dont know, I'm not really proud to say it (because I would have rather done it myself) but I bought my car the way it is so I really couldn't tell you, my tach may be off I guess but my vtec xover is at 5k and i hit rev limiter somewhere around 7800, I cant see exactly but my tach wont even hit 8k.

are you like what? 16 years old? well n e waise, post up the ecu identification number

college? :bash:

shit dude- give him a break. we have 16 year old members on here.... and we have old farts in there 30s :)

hey vicous I'm 18 and I'm sorry if that bothers you but why dont you leave shit that doesn't have anything to do with cars out of this so that we can all use this site for what its purpose is.

pissedofsol my ID# is 37820-P30-900

and below it is 471-105922, thanks sol

hey man, i'm not tryin to hate on the little young buck, just sayin.....it's good to help them litle kids out, ya got me wrong.....

it should be a 5 speed ECU, but it shouldn't have a rev limiter that early thats wahck

maybe my tach is just off, but what do you guys think about trading my stock P30 for a skunk2 chipped P28? Where should the vtec x over be?

Back