Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honda MTF

• Honda MTF w/ Friction Modifier

• I don't care, I just use 10w

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
OK, from my understanding there are 2 different types of Synchromesh.
You have the Synchromesh which comes in either GM or Pennzoil. Then, you got the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified.
There is also the GM Friction Modifier. Which apparently you are suppossed to put in if you have just regular Synchromesh, Motor Oil, or Honda MTF in your tranny.
Now my question is which route should I take? Should I buy a bottle of Synchromesh (either GM or Pennzoil, mainly Pennzoil since it's cheaper and the same shit as the GM stuff) and then go over to GM and buy the Friction Modifier OR just go straight to GM and buy 2 bottles of the Synchromesh Friction Modified?
Would the mixture pretty much make the Friction Modified version?

The only reason I'm not leaning towards using the Honda MTF is because there are too many mixed emotions about if it's good or not, as opposed to the Synchromesh which has nothing but good reviews 99% of the time.

I put GM sycromesh friction modified in my b18c swapped civic 2 years ago and would never consider putting enything else in it...

the GM sycromesh friction modified completely changed the way my car felt when i shifted, it's like a hot knife cutting though warm butter now... I love it

Originally posted by Relix@Jul 22 2005, 03:57 AM
I put GM sycromesh friction modified in my b18c swapped civic 2 years ago and would never consider putting enything else in it...

the GM sycromesh friction modified completely changed the way my car felt when i shifted, it's like a hot knife cutting though warm butter now... I love it
[post=529763]Quoted post[/post]​

you suggest the Synchromesh Friction Modified but you voted for Synchromesh w/ friction modifier additive. that a typo?

I use pennzoil syncromesh in my tranny, but I will use friction modified next time I change oil.

Yeah when i used to work at a small shop around here, i used to have keys and be able to work as late as i wanted, as long as i made it to work the next day awake.

So when i did my swap, I walked upstairs and snagged a couple quarts of GM syncro mesh, and i loved it. I wish i had more the next time i did my swap, b/c i had to use 10w30. It worked, but not nearly as nice as the syncromesh.

Originally posted by Relix@Jul 22 2005, 03:57 AM

[post=529763]Quoted post[/post]​

I have done the same.

I made the switch because i had a small grind going from 2nd to 3rd . . . the syncromesh didnt do anything for it at first (last summer) but now when i shift the grind isnt there at all.

- note: i have been in the habbit of double clutching on the upshift, so thats probably why i didnt notice the grind was gone untill now.

<---- Royal purple MTF with friction modifier, which I am told is GM.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Jul 22 2005, 11:33 AM

- note: i have been in the habbit of double clutching on the upshift, so thats probably why i didnt notice the grind was gone untill now.
[post=529811]Quoted post[/post]​

Double clutching on UPSHIFTS? Double clutching is only useful for releiving grinds on DOWNSHIFTS. UPshifts its pointless.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 22 2005, 11:30 AM-->
Cashizslick
@Jul 22 2005, 11:33 AM

- note:  i have been in the habbit of double clutching on the upshift, so thats probably why i didnt notice the grind was gone untill now.

Double clutching on UPSHIFTS? Double clutching is only useful for releiving grinds on DOWNSHIFTS. UPshifts its pointless.
[post=529836]Quoted post[/post]​

Double clutching is a technique used to shift a car that uses a transmission that either does not use syncros or has busted ones. Just because Paul Walker uses double clutching for racing does not mean that it does not have a legitimate function.

If your transmission grinds when you upshift, instead of slamming the car into gear like a dipshit ricer, double clutch and you will save your tranny.

the only thing double clutching is doing for you is slowing down your shifts...

instead of "double clutching" why don't you just shift slower...

slow shifts = no grinds...

and double clutching has no legitimate function on modern cars...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 22 2005, 11:59 AM
the only thing double clutching is doing for you is slowing down your shifts...

instead of "double clutching" why don't you just shift slower...

slow shifts = no grinds...

and double clutching has no legitimate function on modern cars...
[post=529853]Quoted post[/post]​

For me it used to work untill the grind stopped.

If i would "slow shift" the car would have to drop from 8k rpms to around 5.9k - 6k rpm's in order to avoid the grind -> by double clutching i can keep the rpm's around 6.5k - 6.8k and avoid the grind.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jul 22 2005, 12:24 PM
If you have an LSD, get the Synchromesh Friction Modified, otherwise go with normal Synchromesh.
[post=529863]Quoted post[/post]​

thats my choice. Thats what i used and it definitly worked. And i have LSD

:lol: i had to vote....or die :eek:

Originally posted by Taco15+Jul 22 2005, 01:32 PM-->
Citizen_Insane
@Jul 22 2005, 12:24 PM
If you have an LSD, get the Synchromesh Friction Modified, otherwise go with normal Synchromesh.
[post=529863]Quoted post[/post]​

thats my choice. Thats what i used and it definitly worked. And i have LSD

:lol: i had to vote....or die :eek:
[post=529892]Quoted post[/post]​

Would it just be a waste of money if I used the Synchromesh Friction Modified since I don't have LSD?

Taco, I thought you'd like that :lol: :p

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jul 22 2005, 02:06 PM
yes. The Friction Modified is specifically for LSD.
[post=529916]Quoted post[/post]​

straight forward answer... :thumbsup:

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 22 2005, 12:30 PM-->
Cashizslick
@Jul 22 2005, 11:33 AM

- note:  i have been in the habbit of double clutching on the upshift, so thats probably why i didnt notice the grind was gone untill now.

[post=529836]Quoted post[/post]​

on a honda yes the tranny matches speeds for us - but on older manuels it would be required - :ph34r:

i thought syncromesh friction modified is for LSD trannies? and syncromesh is for trannies without trannies. is this correct? or am i wrong?

Back