System Idle Process

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nootrac22

VIP
The system Idle process is killing me on my computer. It runs slow as hell because of it. Under the application tab it seems to be using about 80% of the CPU. How do I stop/make this go away?

The system idle process is like the inverse of the cpu. When it's not executing programming code, it's running the system idle process. It's essential to windows nt. You cannot remove it. Your computer is running slow as hell due to the process using the other 20% of your cpu. Try Process Explorer from Winternals, now under the Microsoft name. Process Explorer This program can give you a very detailed view of what's running in your system, and gives you information so even less computer savvy people can figure it out. If you would load that up and do a screen shot I can tell you if there's BS running that you could live without.

The system idle process is like the inverse of the cpu. When it's not executing programming code, it's running the system idle process. It's essential to windows nt. You cannot remove it. Your computer is running slow as hell due to the process using the other 20% of your cpu. Try Process Explorer from Winternals, now under the Microsoft name. Process Explorer This program can give you a very detailed view of what's running in your system, and gives you information so even less computer savvy people can figure it out. If you would load that up and do a screen shot I can tell you if there's BS running that you could live without.
I'll give it a try when I get home. thank you. also i dont know if this makes a diffrence but computer is running xp. seems to happen both at work and home. took me a half hour to turn the computer on and get an email sent this morning.

nootrac if you right click on it you can kill the process :)
it tells me that the application can not be terminated.

Windows XP is built on Windows NT. Windows NT is the underlying foundation for NT 4.0, Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, as well as server versions of those respectably.

What processor and memory does it have? Maybe it's just in need of a good reinstall. Windows installs can get old and stale and start to degrade after a long while.

install is a little less then 6 month. processor fried (long story and lots of dog hair) new processor and HD since then. I know my ram is an issue as it's only got 512 the processor is an AMD64 3XXX . Hard to find socket 754 anymore. I do plan on putting another stick of ram in it in a few months, when I get a new computer. This current one will go upstairs to hold movies and music and such for the tv.

Right on. Yeah I have a few 754 parts laying around but not enough for a complete system. Even 939 motherboards are getting scarce. Memory is real cheap online at the moment. If you need a good place to buy it lmk, I've got a few good sites.

nootrac if you right click on it you can kill the process :)
every time my shit starts to slow down i open up the task manager and end the processes of everything im not using, it usually helps.
a lot of times, programs you thought you closed are still running and using up memory..
and i keep the task manager open at all times down in the toolbar because xp seems to run faster when its open.

Windows XP is built on Windows NT. Windows NT is the underlying foundation for NT 4.0, Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, as well as server versions of those respectably.

What processor and memory does it have? Maybe it's just in need of a good reinstall. Windows installs can get old and stale and start to degrade after a long while.

i love reinstalling. lol

I can literally say I do reinstalls on a daily basis... lol

And yeah, you cannot kill certain tasks such as the system idle process or lsass.exe or system, for examples.

Green, do you turn off services and startup apps?

You can use start>run msconfig. And/or for services, right click my computer manage, services & applications, services. there are guides online such as the one by black viper (google it) if you don't know what to turn off.

screen cap

I thought I had gotten rid of a lot of this crap on here.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 08 22.01.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 08 22.01.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 333
Technically that's all fine. You really don't have too much bloat. If you were to change some of the applications you could reduce the overhead though. There's better music sharing applications than orb. AOL software sucks, and winamp can do the ipod stuff. Unless you actually use itunes to purchase songs with. And that version of nero just has lots of processes that you really don't need, but can't do much about. AIM and yahoo could be in the same application. Trillian uses less resources, but just one example.

More memory would help.

ok, thanks to everyone for there help. Guess I will be posting up my build thread in a few months, and adding some ram to this thing.

Technically that's all fine. You really don't have too much bloat. If you were to change some of the applications you could reduce the overhead though. There's better music sharing applications than orb. AOL software sucks, and winamp can do the ipod stuff. Unless you actually use itunes to purchase songs with. And that version of nero just has lots of processes that you really don't need, but can't do much about. AIM and yahoo could be in the same application. Trillian uses less resources, but just one example.

More memory would help.

That's a good point, eliminating high resource software in favor of small footprint alternatives can net big performance gains, and not too mention save a TON of space. Nero doesn't do anything that a couple smaller lighter programs can't, but if you have to have Nero there's a Nero micro, and Nero light, that have almost all the functionality but both are sub 75MB programs.

most of the time i use roxio creator business and super DVD creator.

Older versions of Nero don't have the extra bloat and don't need processes running in the background at all times. Nero 6 for example is what I use and love. Lite versions work well too.

Back