Terrible night

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eastbxc

Custom User Title
So I was going to go to Kansas City about a 2 hour drive from Manhattan tonight when I got about 10 miles out of town I looked the needle to my temp gauge was on H I immediatle shut it down and pulled to the shoulder....last night when I filled up with gas I checked the oil, coolant and tire pressure like I always do before I drive home and all the fuild levels were fine.....my buddy came and picked me up and he helped me rebuild the motor(over the summer, 7,000 miles since rebuild) but right now we couldn't tell much because it was dark but it looks like the headgasket is blown theres no coolant in the radiator but there was last night I have no idea how it lost it because it was running just fine a few miles before I noticed it being hot.....sorry this is me rambling :(

Last edited:
why dont you just replace the gasket?
thatd be a whole lot cheaper.

why dont you just replace the gasket?
thatd be a whole lot cheaper.
Thats probably what I will end up doing but I would really like to talk my parents into getting me a motor....but I doubt that will happen....I just can't figure out how coolant leaked? I checked my temp gauge before getting on the highway and it was normal then 7 miles on the high way I notice it was on H it's weird....it was to dark out we are going out early tomorrow morning.....I am going to get some coolant and fill it full and just see if I can make it the 15 miles back to my place with out it blowing up

Doesn't necessarily mean it's the HG. Could be something simple, like radiator hose, or the radiator itself.

I checked both upper and lower radiator hose last night when I pulled over neither one was even warm....they were both replaced when we rebuilt the motor.....the reason I think its the headgasket is all gasket its really wet but when I checked the oil it looked fine and I have seen a lot of blown headgaskets where the oil is milky so I don't know....my buddy is picking me up soon then were going out there to see whats going on

I believe it's the DX or Si hubs that you need. The HF hubs wouldn't work. It's been a while since I have had to look into it.

Thanks.....I still have to talk my parents into letting me spend my money.....I have been working since I was 15 and that whole time I took half of my pay checks and put the money into savings I now have about $5,000 after I have taken some money out for school and what not but my parents are to happy of the idea of me spending that money

Yeah I want to but I plan on using that money for books my last 4 semester still.....I really never planned on doing a swap till I got out of college because when I graduate I will be getting almost 20 grand that my parents started saving from the day I was born to get my through college then they just decided to give me that money as a graduation gift and pay my tuition out right so I don't know

The best bet would be to fix it. Don't spend the time or money on a swap just yet. It's easier to justify a couple hundred bucks to fix it than it is to spend a couple grand doing a swap. Get through school, and then worry about modifying your car.

Patience is a virtue.

Well we found that one of the heater hoses that goes to the block from the firewall was so old and crappy it just sprung a leak....we replaced it filled it back up with coolant and let it run till we got the air out of the system drove it back to my place it ran fine just hesitated a little but it didn't over heat......we got it back to my place we parked it went to eat and then took the radiator cap off and now its low again low enough you can see the fins we filled back up but theres no puddles under the car so I can't figure out where it went??? hopefully tomorrow or early this week I can rent a pressure tester from autozone and find out for sure if its the headgasket

My parents don't want me to have the money yet because they still claim me in taxes and I would also lose about 5grand through taxes so I won't be doing a swap anytime soon which I guess is a good thing I can do some more researching

maybe burning it...fill up again and check the exhaust. if that's the case at least you know what's up at that point.. :(

My buddy followed me all the way back home and he didn't see any smoke coming out at all....I let it warm and all the bubbles out again and drove it to the car wash cleaned under the hood and brought it back home now I am just waiting on it to cool down.....I should be able to get a pressure tester Monday or Tuesday then we can tell for sure but as of right now I would say the headgasket isn't blown atleast I hope so

I would check your oil. Not sure if it helps but I have seen stranger things. If there are any issues due to over heating then maybe some of the coolant is getting into the oil pan. Drain it and see. Gives you a reason to do an oil change if it doesnt have coolant in it.

Yeah that was one of the first things I did but thanks for the suggestion

Well we found that one of the heater hoses that goes to the block from the firewall was so old and crappy it just sprung a leak....we replaced it filled it back up with coolant and let it run till we got the air out of the system drove it back to my place it ran fine just hesitated a little but it didn't over heat......we got it back to my place we parked it went to eat and then took the radiator cap off and now its low again low enough you can see the fins we filled back up but theres no puddles under the car so I can't figure out where it went??? hopefully tomorrow or early this week I can rent a pressure tester from autozone and find out for sure if its the headgasket

My parents don't want me to have the money yet because they still claim me in taxes and I would also lose about 5grand through taxes so I won't be doing a swap anytime soon which I guess is a good thing I can do some more researching
could have been an air pocket that worked itself out. Refill and check after every drive for a while. If you keep losing coolant you have a leak, if not you're good.

Back