Test Drove a 2006 Eclipse GT-V6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

So I was out last night with my Pops, and we decided to go check out the new Eclipse, just for fun. So we went in, talked to the sales manager (my old boss) and he threw us the keys to a titanium grey GT-V6 6-Speed.

So, the good:
- Comfy seats, nice bolsters.
- Looks pretty hot, 18" rims and 245/45/18 tires help.
- Wide stance.
- Rockford Fosgate Stereo was killer.
- Under the hood looked really nice, valve cover is red.
- KILLER exhaust note. No word of a lie, sounds like a V12 Ferrari.
- Shifter is in a good place, dash layed out well.

Now, the BAD:
- This car is HUGE!!!!
- FWD
- 3500lbs.
- Wider than a Ford Explorer.
- Dash looks cheap and is covered in crappy plastic.
- 240lbs. TQ gets you going slow in a hurry. TONS of torque, but still a high 14- second car....yet another new car me and my B16 hatch dont have to worry about.
- Tight suspension didn't make up for the weight....this car is BIG and HEAVY around turns.
- The stance is about 1 foot too high...looks like a monster truck.
- You cannot take it through a car wash.....my mechanic friend Rob (Mitsu Mechanic) told me that when I asked how the car was. The design of the rims is just so, that when you go through a wash, it destroys the rims...the tires have one of those rim protectors on them, but thats not where they scratch.
- Too expensive for the money. Bank lease rates.

So overall...... 6.5/10
Cool looking car, but not a shread of what an Eclipse should be.....Light, Turbo, and AWD.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 3 2005, 01:24 PM

Cool looking car, but not a shread of what an Eclipse should be.....Light, Turbo, and AWD.
[post=535257]Quoted post[/post]​

It dissapointing that a car which helped create the "import scene" has been brought so low (besides the honda civic).

that really sucks. i thought it would have been a bad ass car.

Well, fuck, make your own decision on that, but this is what I thought of it.....not impressed.

i thought they were making it AWD. I know I read an article where they had some weird system too. I'll never find it, but I could have sworn it was something like that.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Aug 3 2005, 01:57 PM
i thought they were making it AWD. I know I read an article where they had some weird system too. I'll never find it, but I could have sworn it was something like that.
[post=535288]Quoted post[/post]​

Honestly Mitsubishi = Total Idiots.

Why not make continue to produce Turbo 2wd and 4wd versions of the Eclipse that use the 4g63 motor?? How hard would it be? -> they still make the 4g63 for the Evo.

I was really hoping the new eclipse would use the 4g63. . . . whatever, just another ghey eclipse.

The car looks hotttt..I like it. and i love mitsubishi..The only thing i dont like is that they brake a lot..especially on the older ones, the tranfer case sux, same with the axles...
... It weights about the same as the older models....I dunno...If its a fwd car why would it weight that much..?
I would buy something like that for the wifey, but that eclipse its just not for me.... Oh and I mean if it doesnt have that 4g63 engine in it....WHat good is it for...? :( They should've kept it....dummy's

Sounds like it's another brand new car that I will still smoke with my 13 year old hatch! :lol: The only thing Mitsu that I like are the Evos. The new Eclipse's are crap IMO. The body looks funky and too big, although I'm sure in the next few months we will see some hooked up ones that will cause you to do a double take.

Originally posted by Estorvito@Aug 3 2005, 02:18 PM

... It weights about the same as the older models
[post=535312]Quoted post[/post]​

The weight is up over 340lbs from last year's GT-V6

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 3 2005, 02:24 PM

when the hell was the AWD turbo eclipse EVER light????
it started out at about 3100lbs and got more bloated as time went on

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Aug 3 2005, 02:23 PM-->
@Aug 3 2005, 02:24 PM

[post=535317]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Aug 3 2005, 03:23 PM-->

:withstupid: I dunno why they are so heavy thought...all it is is the freaking awd shit that makes it heavy aint it..?

Originally posted by adnoh+Aug 3 2005, 03:26 PM-->
Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 3 2005, 02:23 PM
adnoh

[post=535319]Quoted post[/post]​

well if we are saying things they should be but never were... then hell they should be reliable
but this is mitsubishi we are talking about and they dont know the first thing about that

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Aug 3 2005, 02:31 PM-->
Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 3 2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 3 2005, 02:23 PM
adnoh

[post=535319]Quoted post[/post]​

well if we are saying things they should be but never were... then hell they should be reliable
but this is mitsubishi we are talking about and they dont know the first thing about that
[post=535326]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not arguing that fact at all :)

Disappointing, but expected. Aside from the EVO, Mitsu's new line is pretty screwed up. We knew the Eclipse was dead after the last generation.

meh... from the moment I saw it at the Detroit Auto show in jan 04, I didn't like the look of it. That was enough to know that I didn't ever want to consider owning one.

Back