Texas Drivers Watch out starting Sept 1st

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98EX

ALL of these take effect Monday Sept 1st 2003

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/78R/bil...xt/HB01326F.HTM

H.B. No. 1326

AN ACT

relating to the civil and criminal consequences of racing a motor
vehicle on a public highway or street and of being a spectator at an
illegal motor vehicle racing event; providing penalties.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:                       
SECTION 1.  Section 545.420, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsections (d)-(h) to read
as follows:
(a)  A person may not participate in any manner in:                           
  (1)  a race;                                                                 
  (2)  a vehicle speed competition or contest;                                 
  (3)  a drag race or acceleration contest;                                   
  (4)  a test of physical endurance of the operator of a
vehicle; or         
  (5)  in connection with a drag race, an exhibition of
vehicle speed or acceleration or to make a vehicle speed record.
(d)  Except as provided by Subsections (e)-(h), an offense
under Subsection (a) is a Class B misdemeanor.
(e)  An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor
if it is shown on the trial of the offense that:
  (1)  the person has previously been convicted one time
of an offense under that subsection; or
  (2)  the person, at the time of the offense:                         
  (A)  was operating the vehicle while intoxicated,
as defined by Section 49.01, Penal Code; or
  (B)  was in possession of an open container, as
defined by Section 49.031, Penal Code.
(f)  An offense under Subsection (a) is a state jail felony
if it is shown on the trial of the offense that the person has
previously been convicted two times of an offense under that
subsection.
(g)  An offense under Subsection (a) is a felony of the third
degree if it is shown on the trial of the offense that as a result of
the offense, an individual suffered bodily injury.
(h)  An offense under Subsection (a) is a felony of the
second degree if it is shown on the trial of the offense that as a
result of the offense, an individual suffered serious bodily injury
or death.
SECTION 2.  Subchapter O, Chapter 521, Transportation Code,
is amended by adding Section 521.350 to read as follows:
Sec. 521.350.  SUSPENSION FOR OFFENSE RELATING TO RACING OF
MOTOR VEHICLE ON PUBLIC HIGHWAY OR STREET.  (a)  A license is
automatically suspended on conviction of an offense under Section
545.420(a).
(B)  A suspension under this section is for one year, except
as provided by this section.
©  A person whose license is suspended under Subsection (a)
remains eligible to receive an occupational license under
Subchapter L, except that an occupational license issued to a
person younger than 18 years of age whose license is suspended under
this section may permit the operation of a motor vehicle only for
transportation to and from an educational facility in which the
person is enrolled and the place where the person resides.
(d)  A person whose license is suspended under Subsection (a)
shall be required by the court in which the person was convicted to
perform at least 10 hours of community service as ordered by the
court.  If the person is a resident of this state without a driver's
license to operate a motor vehicle, the court shall issue an order
prohibiting the department from issuing the person a driver's
license before the person completes the community service. 
Community service required under this subsection is in addition to
any community service required of the person as a condition of
community supervision under Section 16, Article 42.12, Code of
Criminal Procedure.
(e)  If a person who is required to perform community service
under Subsection (d) completes that community service before the
end of the person's license suspension, the person may apply to the
department for reinstatement of the person's license or the
issuance of a new license.  The application must include proof
satisfactory to the department that the person has performed the
community service.
(f)  If a person whose license is suspended under this
section  is subsequently convicted of an offense under Section
521.457(a) during the period of license suspension, in addition to
the penalties provided by Section 521.457, the department shall
revoke the person's license until the first anniversary of the date
of conviction and may not reinstate the person's license or issue
the person a new license before that date.
SECTION 3.  (a)  This Act takes effect September 1, 2003.                     
(B)  The changes in law made by this Act apply only to an
offense committed on or after September 1, 2003.
©  An offense committed before September 1, 2003, is
covered by the law in effect when the offense was committed, and the
former law is continued in effect for that purpose.  For purposes of
this section, an offense was committed before September 1, 2003, if
any element of the offense was committed before that date.

Here is another

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/78R/bil...xt/HB00252I.HTM

78R2204 MTB-F

By:  Bonnen                                                      H.B. No. 252

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to vehicles passing certain stationary emergency vehicles
on a highway.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:                       
SECTION 1.  This Act may be cited as the Move Over Act.                       
SECTION 2.  Subchapter D, Chapter 545, Transportation Code,
is amended by adding Section 545.157 to read as follows:
Sec. 545.157.  PASSING AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLE.  (a) 
On approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using
visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and
547.702, an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police
officer, shall:
  (1)  vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle
when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the
direction of the emergency vehicle; or
  (2)  slow to a speed not to exceed:                                   
  (A)  20 miles per hour less than the posted speed
limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more; or
  (B)  five miles per hour when the posted speed
limit is less than 25 miles per hour.
(B)  An offense under this section is punishable by a fine of
not less than $60 or more than $200.
SECTION 3.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2003.                         

Info on points system

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staf...n/pr081903c.htm

Points system

The Driver Responsibility law (in House bill 3588) establishes a system that assigns points to moving violations classified as Class C misdemeanors and applies surcharges to offenders, based on the type of offense and the time period in which the citation was received. For each conviction, DPS will assign points to a person’s license as follows:

Two points for a moving violation conviction in Texas or that of another state.
Points will not be assigned for speeding less than 10% over the posted limit or seat belt convictions.
Three points for a moving violation conviction in Texas or another state that resulted in a vehicle crash.
Points remain on the driver record for a period of three years. Additionally, a conviction that becomes final before September 1, 2003, will not apply to the assessment of points under the program. This program does not replace other administrative suspension, revocations or cancellation actions that result from these same convictions.

Driver surcharges

DPS will assess a surcharge when the driver accumulates a total of six points or more on their record during a three-year period. The driver must pay a $100 surcharge for the first six points and $25 for each additional point.

Annual surcharges for certain convictions

Drivers who receive a conviction for DWI or a DWI-related offense, failure to maintain financial responsibility or driving while license invalid will pay an annual surcharge for a period of three years. No points are placed on driver records for these offenses because the fine is automatic on the first offense.

A first-time DWI results in a $1,000 surcharge, paid annually for three years. A second-time DWI results in a $1,500 surcharge, paid annually for three years. The charges are cumulative. For example a driver could pay $1,000 as a result of their first DWI and an additional $1,500 for their second DWI, paying a total of $2,500 annually.

A conviction for driving while license is invalid or failure to maintain financial responsibility results in a surcharge of $250, paid annually for three years. A driver who is convicted of driving without a valid license receives a $100 per year surcharge for three years.

The surcharge assessed for this program is in addition to other reinstatement fees required for other administrative actions.

Driver notification of surcharge and license revocation

DPS will notify the offending driver of the assessment of a surcharge on their license, via first-class mail. The notice will state the surcharge must be paid. Drivers who do not pay their surcharge within 30 days after the notice is sent will have their driving privileges revoked. The license will remain revoked until the person pays all surcharges and related costs, such as service/collection fees.

Who receives money from the surcharges

Each surcharge collected by the department under this law will be remitted to the Comptroller, on a monthly basis. Trauma centers and county and regional emergency medical services will receive 49.5 percent of the collected money, and the Texas Mobility fund will receive 49.5 percent of the collected money. The money that goes to trauma centers will be handled by the Texas Department of Health, while the Texas Department of Transportation will handle money going to the Mobility fund, which funds highway projects, including the TransTexas Corridor. The remaining one percent of the collected money will go to DPS for operation of the Driver Responsibility program.

The Driver Responsibility Program was passed into law as part of House bill 3588, article 10. (The text of the law is located at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us, page 152 of the Adobe text version.)

Here is a list of the new laws to take effect monday

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staf...n/pr081903b.htm

Side note, thank god they are not making this street racing law retroactvie to the 1st of the yr, I got a spectating ticket to go to in November that I got back in March

texas has alot of ghey laws, in Abilene for example you can get arrested for public intox at an officer's discression. I've inquired about this with my on base legal office because I thought it was a rumor, but it's true. If arrested for PI (public intox) all anner of blood/breath tests for alchool are inadmissable in court, period.

Texas is gay

I'm sorry Texans have to live here

we should have let Mexico keep this damn sandbox

except San Antonio

:worthy: San Antonio

And if you live in Texas and I have offended you, all you have to do is listen to the DQ "that's what I love about texas" jingle on the radio to know I'm right :lol:

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Aug 27 2003, 07:55 PM
texas has alot of ghey laws, in Abilene for example you can get arrested for public intox at an officer's discression. I've inquired about this with my on base legal office because I thought it was a rumor, but it's true. If arrested for PI (public intox) all anner of blood/breath tests for alchool are inadmissable in court, period.

Yep cops will even try to get you to stepm outside of your home if you are drunk and arrest. Tip for Texans, if you throw a party and you are hammered and if cops show up to said party, DO NOT let them in, answer the door and stand INSIDE your house. If they ask you to step outside say no thank you, I would much rather speak from where we are now. If they get you outside(even on your prch) that is PI and they can arrest you.

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Aug 28 2003, 01:55 AM
Texas is gay

except San Antonio

And if you live in Texas and I have offended you, all you have to do is listen to the DQ "that's what I love about texas" jingle on the radio to know I'm right :lol:

Mexico doesn't want it, and San Antonio sucks, lived there for a couple years. Austin on the other hand is really nice.

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Aug 27 2003, 07:55 PM

Texas is gay

except San Antonio

PI anywhere in texas is at the officer's discretion. how would a bac number help them determine whether you're a danger to yourself or others?

why do you dislike texas so much? was your exboyfriend from texas?

Glad that wasn't instated when I got my "Drag Racing" Ticket in Texas for chirping second. Fucking asshole Ennis Cops. PRICK!!!

That shit cost me over $1000, and I lost my license for 2 years because of it. Assknocker.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Aug 28 2003, 01:32 AM
PI anywhere in texas is at the officer's discretion. how would a bac number help them determine whether you're a danger to yourself or others?

Because if your not drunk it's not PI, period! It's not Illegal to be an Asshole, or else the entire stae of NY would be under arrest (just kidding NY'ers, NY>TX)

and no, I'm not from Texas, I just live here right now. So no boyfriends here. :lol:

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 28 2003, 03:58 AM
Glad that wasn't instated when I got my "Drag Racing" Ticket in Texas for chirping second. Fucking asshole Ennis Cops. PRICK!!!

That shit cost me over $1000, and I lost my license for 2 years because of it. Assknocker.

How the hell did that happen? I have gotten 3 drag racing(participating in illegal drag race) tickets. First was Garland and I got off of that--laywer I paid $55 to got it dismissed. Second was in Dallas, got it in March of 2002, court date was set for July 2003, I went to court cop didn't show and no ticket. My third one was one I got in April of this yr. First hearing is scheduled for November, then I will set a court date(this is Dallas again) It will probably some time LATE next yr before the actual court date and even if the cop shows or not I will get out of that one.

Originally posted by 98EX@Aug 28 2003, 03:36 PM
How the hell did that happen?

Because Ennis is a buttfucked shithole?

ennis is fucking gay, there is a strip of 287 that if you go 1 over, they nail your ass (literally).. we've been blocked in at street races, street raced and been caught, 70 in a 50 in euless (fuck you euless!!!) and the worst that has happened is probation.. (lawyers own)

Originally posted by Silverchild79+Aug 28 2003, 05:08 AM-->
SixtySecondAssassin
@Aug 28 2003, 01:32 AM

Because if your not drunk it's not PI, period! It's not Illegal to be an Asshole, or else the entire stae of NY would be under arrest (just kidding NY'ers, NY>TX)

and no, I'm not from Texas, I just live here right now. So no boyfriends here. :lol:

at what bac level are you 'drunk'? .08 is just the point where they say you can't safely operate a motor vehicle.

fuck Canada

Canada, leading the world in being just north of the United States for 136 years straight

I think all those laws are good. 'Specially this one:

A first-time DWI results in a $1,000 surcharge, paid annually for three years. A second-time DWI results in a $1,500 surcharge, paid annually for three years. The charges are cumulative. For example a driver could pay $1,000 as a result of their first DWI and an additional $1,500 for their second DWI, paying a total of $2,500 annually.

I'd go one better and say at the first offense, permanent loss of license. If you're caught driving again, $10,000 fine. If you can't pay, we take your car and/ or house. Think that's too tough? Try losing a family member to a drunk driver and seeing that motherfucker driving six months later while you're still grieving.

I've got no problems with alcohol laws getting stricter, and no problems with street racing laws getting tighter either. Now if they start abusing these new laws and regs, I'll be damn pissed.

I don't LIVE in TExas, and I was to be DAMNED if I was going to drive 10 HOURS to go to traffic court down there.

I jsut paid the ticket. I figured, small town, no nationwide reporting. WRONG.

I was on probation in Memphis at the time, and they found out aobut the shit in Texas. I got a letter to come downtown for a court date for my VIOLATION OF PROBATION offense. A warrent was signed out for my arrest, and the rest is history.

I was in JAIL for 36 hours for Ennis's PIGFUCKING BACKWARDS_ASS COCKSUCKING SON-OF-A-BITCH DONUT LOVING SHITHEAD COPS.

Especially this one fat redheaded motherfucker who probably got teased in highschool, so he decided to become a cop to "show those guys who's boss".

Dickhead.

He had me spread eagle on his hood, cussing at me, spittling on me while screaming... all because I f'ing chirped second gear. Oh dear God.

Back