the 3rd car

get the 3rd vehicle?

• yes - its a smart choice

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • no - 2 vehicles is more than enough

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
welp, it's about that time again.... i'm car shopping.

first and foremost, i'm not selling the M nor the truck. both are useful for what they do. the trunk is handy when having a house, and i don't think i'll get rid of it till it dies. i hardly use it at all in the summer, but that's ok. it's still useful to have. and i'm not selling the m. no way. not unless its for a new m3 :D but we've already been there and it's not happening.

In today's day and age of uber gas prices and my daily 120 mile round trip ish commute, it's time for something better on fuel.

I figure if i can go from premium to regular (25 cent a gallon on avg) and go from 20 to 40 mpg highway, i will save a ton of money, effectively making the car i buy free in as little as a year.

Figure i use about 25 gallons a week currently (14-15 gal fill ups, every 3 days or so, less on weekends)

if i can cut that down to 15 gallons (less than doubling my mileage)
i effectively save 69 bucks (4.59 x 15)
then factor out the 15 x .25 price difference in premium overhead, for another 3.75 and i'll be saving roughly 70+ bucks a week in fuel costs.
70x4 = 280 a month x12 = 3360 in fuel SAVINGS a year.
and that's at current prices... they are saying it will hit $5 by july 4th, so the savings will only be higher.

on top of all that, i keep miles off the M. i'm already about to break 50k on it. i'd like to drive it less and keep some of its value on it.

plus, it will slow me down. i'm due to get nabbed for speeding. i've been too lucky too many times lately. today there were cops everywhere. i need to clam down my 90-ish mph cruising speed to and from work.

So, that brings us too....

I found a 96 hx civic, black w/ grey cloth with 180k on it for 2500 bucks asking price. If i can get it under 2500, even better. Either way, it will pay for itself in less than a year... pretty much, by the end of the season where i drive the truck to work/snow starts, etc etc. 5spd, power everything, multi-cd, etc etc...

so, here she is

:
01021201040801161220080531ccd10e90757d9f561f00da74.jpg

010207011610010405200805317bc5b089999158d05d00ddca.jpg

0101040116140104092008053108d3a0aa1327495357004447.jpg

rear bumper has a little scuff/rash/i'm a moron and backed into a pole at the grocery store/ mark on it, but otherwise looks to be in good shape.

011505010211011608200805319163f034d98e91f6070045a3.jpg

i'm going to try to go look at it tomorrow after work, and i'm going to try to bring some cash with me if i can make it to the bank in the morning.

:ph34r: if any of you locals snipe this on me, i'll hunt you down :ph34r:

So, is this a good decision? do I REALLY need 3 cars? no... but with this, each will serve a purpose:

• hx - commuting, bringing it to places that the M won't see (like hartford, or nyc) and the truck would suck to take.
  • truck - home depot, dump runs, helping friends move, winter vehicle, etc etc
  • m3 - weekend cruises, fun blasts, etc etc
and more so, it will pay for itself in a short period of time in just fuel costs, plus keeping miles off the M, which in turn keeps its re-sale up.

The Celerity Method:

Fast and good on gas: bike
all truck needs: enterprise rent-a-car.

Borrow mom's car for trips to BJs.

I'd say go for it if having to pay for insurance on another car isn't a big deal.

Bikes aren't for everyone. I would get a bike, but I don't want to have to worry about the have crashed/have yet to crash thing. Because you're going to crash eventually, no way around it. My Dad was in a serious motorcycle accident and almost died, he's extremely lucky to be alive and walking and talking and going about his life normally.

Last edited:
sounds like you already convinced yourself that you want to buy it.

i would get it if that was here where i'm at. i've been looking for one.

i would sell the truck. i doubt you really NEED it that much. you don't move often and you don't own a landscaping company. winter wouldn't justify the expense of maintenence and gas.

insurance isn't an issue. adding this thing will probably cost be 100 bucks/6 months.

Third voting option : "put your status in ominous peril by being a passenger in E's car during every other commute"

get it. maintenance required? :)
the light isn't on... the light is to the right of the words.
bseides, its just the oil change light for the most part. its not a CEL.

i would sell the truck. i doubt you really NEED it that much. you don't move often and you don't own a landscaping company. winter wouldn't justify the expense of maintenence and gas.

naw, i'm not selling it. i'm way upside down on it anyway.. its a dodge. it lost 5k in value when i signed. lol its 200 bucks a month... not even worth doing anything about. plus i have a 4-year powertrain/4x4 warranty on it, so the maintenance isn't going to be much at all if anything big goes wrong with it.

i can easily find a use for the truck once a week. it's worthwhile to me to keep it.

eh i dunno..3 cars for just one person??
its really up to you
id sell the truck if you do get it

Third voting option : "put your status in ominous peril by being a passenger in E's car during every other commute"

e goes in about 2hours before i do, plus he visits client sites from time to time and isn't even in the office all 5 days a week... so it's a no-go.

he gets in at 9, i get in at 11.
he leaves at 530, i leave at 730-9 depending on the day/work load.

I'm the lone dissenting view. I think the economicaly that things are gonna get worse waaaaay before getting better. I would be (am currently) looking to trim the fat from the monthly expenses. Better to be over prepaired then not perpaired.

Back