The B16A and B18A Crankshaft

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EKJOE

So im building an LS/VTEC and I pulled my crank out of the B18A1 block and took it to the machine shop to get it polished.

The shop calls me and says "Are you sure this is for a 1.8L" I said yea why?

He says "Cause our measurements show that this crank is for a 1.6L"

Im like, what?

The B18A and B16A dont have the same crank do they? I think I bought a B18A1 with a B16 crank in it.

No they do not have the same crank. but I do not know what the numbers or the dimensions on them. Check the rods for one that will at least tell you i they are stock for the engine. Did you have this engine running at all before you took it to the shop?

Nope, It was never running....New build.

So I have a B18B1 sitting in the garage....That does have the same crank as the A1 I believe. I guess I should use that huh?

did you find out what they measured exactly? because if they just measured the journals, if i remember correctly, the b16 and b18 journals are the same size. If they measured length, then yeah, something might be wrong...

He didnt say exactly, I would assume the journals.

Heres what im going to do on monday, Im going to pull the crank out of the B1..That I know for sure is a B18 crank. Im going to take it with me when going to pickup the "A1/B16 ? " crank that was just polished...and have them compare the two side by side.

If their 18A and 18B cranks...They should be exactly the same. If its and 16A and 18B well find out right then.

I do however have a slight feeling that these guys dont deal with alot of honda parts (Being that I live in the motor city where american muscle rules) and are not used to seeing parts so similar or exactly the same but from differnt makes and models. They might be a little confused.

Anyone know the exact differnce between the B18A/B and B16 cranks? I searched around and the closest thing I found to an anwser was on here, When a dude asked how to identify a B18 crank...Everyone made jokes and shit on the guy :/

Last edited:
Back