The Commute Chronicles, Volume 1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
Well, it's time for a series. This is probably part 3 or 4, but officially, this is the first story :)

As many of you know, i commute about 1 day a week on Tuesdays about 70 miles or so.
So to jump right into it then.......

leave house around 8:35
get stuck behind a soccer mom in a mini van.
7 min ride to the highway turns into 20 min.
get on 84, nice and clear. a A6 2.7t comes up on me and we are floating through respectably.

all of a sudden, lock 'em up.... some asshat in a mixghtymax deceide to spin out on a 20* corner just before the rte8 interchange.

get around that,
try to get onto rte8 south. the on-ramp is all coned off minus about 10 feet they left open to get into the off-ramp.
of course, the rig in front of me can't fit, and takes out like 4 cones, pushing them into the left-lane of 84 (8South is a left exit).
Ensue the locking up of the fast lane traffic to dodge a couple pylons that got pushed into the lane.

8 opens up nice and light traffic.

i'm crusing about 80-ish with about 4 or 5 cars in front of me in the left lane, and the right lane is doing 50.

out of no where, i see a cloud of smoke and everyone starts to lock them up. I safely slow down as i have backed off the guy in front of me already long befoew he even started breaking.

I move into the right lane as there's no one there and there's a huge cloud of tire smoke around 2 or 3 cars. Can't tell who it was from-- probably more than 1 car. I don't think anyone hit... i didn't see anything if they did.

1st gear putting along now, right lane closed ahead.

a guy wasn't paying attention in the left lane and while traffic advanced, left a nice 50 foot gap. I move over into the left lane again.

another mile or so and the lane is merging in.

A hot blonde in a TSX pulls up next to me with a door that is all scuffed up... looked like she got sideswiped with it.
I glance over and give her the nod to go in front of me, she rolls down her window, sticks out her hand and waves as she pulls in front of me. Real cute blonde girl... too bad the highway was moving, :D

Anyway, we get past the idiot DOT worker who closed off a whole lane for miles so that 2 guys can pick up trash (or so it appears).

right lane re-opened, i get on it. I'm a little late now...
I rip past the chick in the TSX and she waves again.

dump truck entering on-ramp, move over to left lane behind wrx with an exhaust. He must be named Ian, cuz hes doing 64 (in the 65 mph zone) in the left lane, and not moving over for faster traffic.
So, I cut around im in the right WOT in 4th gear
bring her up to about 125 before i need to slow down for traffic that lies ahead.

fairly un-eventful for the rest of my time on the highway.

Get off my exit (and i still have 15 miles to go to get to my office) and the A6 gets in the lane next to me which quickly merges just after the light (there's not even a dotted line-- it just merges)
He romps on it and i let him go... There's usually a cop up ahead, as they've been doing streetlight/pole replacement on this road for a while now.
Sure enough, there's a bunch of cops and power company trucks ahead.

He turns off, I continue on.

Out of nowhere, the road i'm on is closed for some reason. Fuck. I have no idea where I am really other than my direct route.
So, I cut off like everyone else is doing and follow that for a while through some neighborhoods, still some signs.
one by one, others in front of me turn off, and theres no more detour signs any more.
So, the detour just ended, and there's no one to follow, and it didn't put me back out on the same road. WTF? way to go DOT.

so i figure, i'm still heading south, so i'll just keep driving for a while and see what happens. If i hit long island sound, i went to far :p

i see some train station signs, and my office isn't far from the stratford train station, so i follow those until i get to an area that i'm familiar with.

I pull into work, and look at the time. 10:13

fuck me. lol

I usually roll in around 930-945 so its not that big of a deal, but it took me an extra 30 min today to get to work, because of mostly stupid people.

Hey, at least I got to see a hottie in a tsx, and she waved at me :p

Thus concludes part 1. look for part 2 next week :p

Last edited:
I work from home every day but Tuesday, unless something special is going on and I need to be at the office.

[15:27] Reik0shea: fun times
[15:27] B: heh
[15:29] Reik0shea: i mean hell, its a good day when i hottie waves at you...usually they are in a beat up chris-style mirage when they wave at me though
[15:29] Reik0shea: if its a tsx, its usually my mom
[15:29] B: rofl

So you only commute once a week.

Dude, did your mom pick out your panties or does she let you wear a thong ? you are the biggest fuckin candy ass to ever slither behind the wheel of a german car.

route 8 southbound from waterbury doesn't have any 65 MPH zones....

try again....

...so in other words, what you're telling is is that you're that much closer to completely transforming into a Beemer-driving asshat?

:p

[15:27] Reik0shea: fun times
[15:27] B: heh
[15:29] Reik0shea: i mean hell, its a good day when i hottie waves at you...usually they are in a beat up chris-style mirage when they wave at me though
[15:29] Reik0shea: if its a tsx, its usually my mom
[15:29] B: rofl

bastards :)

i would write a story about bitching about a commute, but i quit my job. i wish i was a beemer driving asshat.

Back