The Nobel Prize for Peace

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
or i guess as it should now be known "The Nobel Prize for Good Intentions"

In a surprise, Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Yahoo! News

yes Barack Obama has been awarded The Nobel Peace Prize.... in spite of not doing ANYTHING in the way of making the world a safer or more peaceful place...
hell just this past Saturday, Saturday Night Live even had a skit lampooning how little he has actually managed to get done
we are still involved in two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (although he talked about ending them)
the detainee prison at Guantanamo Bay is still open (although he talked about closing it)
there is no universal health care (although he talked about it)
nothing has happened in the way of nuclear disarmament (although again, he talked about it)

im not going to continue listing things that he has talked about or proposed but not come through with, because its pointless... he hasnt done anything to make the world a safer or more peaceful place

the argument could be made that his apology tours have repaired relations between the US and much of the world... i disagree... but the argument could be made

even if you look at his work prior to becoming elected president...the man has not even brought peace to his home town of Chicago, where just last week a story came out about a teenager who was beaten to death with a board on his way home from school

so for all of the talk with ZERO results, he has been awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace (Good Intentions)

this award does however show something quite telling.... it shows that the world (or at least the board members of the Nobel Prize) no longer fears the United States of America... we are no longer viewed as a symbol of strength or power
i present to you the furthering of the movement for the pussification of America

so congratulations Barack Obama on winning an award for doing NOTHING
and congratulations Nobel Prize committee, for shitting all over the award and making it another MTV style popularity contest....

if i was any of the prior winners who actually put work and effort into bringing peace to the world, reducing suffering and making people safer, i would be PISSED

and yes i know clayton posted that link in the other thread... so let me be the first to throw up the :repostred: flag
i dont care

that thread isnt about this, and i feel that this issue deserves its own thread

Maybe he'll end up getting arrested for trying to evade the IRS for the income he gets from the prize and get impeached?

I wish I could say I am surprised. But I am sure the rest of the world is foaming at the mouth because we have a appologist for a president. When I get to work I will expand upon my thought. Can't bang out a six page rant on my phone.

I don't care about Nobel Prizes anymore; they give that out to just about anyone nowadays. Didn't Gore win one too?

I wonder what Alfred Nobel would have to say about their decisions....

A-bomb survivors delighted at Obama winning Nobel Peace Prize
Oct 9 09:58 AM US/Eastern

HIROSHIMA/NAGASAKI, Oct. 9 (AP) - (Kyodo)—Survivors of the 1945 U.S. atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki expressed delight Friday at U.S. President Barack Obama winning the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize chiefly for his vision and work for a nuclear-free world. "It was encouraging," said 84-year-old Sunao Tsuboi, who heads Nihon Hidankyo, or the Japan Confederation of A- and H-Bomb Sufferers Organizations, in Hiroshima.

"I hope the president will go full-out for a world without nuclear weapons. It's important that hibakusha offer not only tribute to him but make an effort with him," Tsuboi said.
In naming the U.S. president the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, the Nobel Foundation said the Norwegian Nobel Committee has "attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons."
In a landmark speech in Prague in April, Obama laid out an ambitious vision of a world without nuclear arms, saying the United States will take the lead on the issue as the only country that has used them.
Akihiro Takahashi, a former president of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, said, "It's fantastic that the prize was given for the Prague speech receiving recognition."
"I want to send a letter to the president to ask him to continue and further emphasize his efforts to abolish all nuclear arms, and come visit Hiroshima," the 78-year-old said.
Emiko Okada, 72, who is engaged in sharing her hibakusha experience in the United States and elsewhere, said, "It was surprise news. I feel like the light is coming to the dark and flowers are bursting out. No one will oppose the goal of eliminating nuclear weapons any longer."
In Nagasaki, Hirotami Yamada of the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Survivors Council said, "It's very encouraging for our campaigns that the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize made clear that eliminating nuclear weapons is the right thing."
Former Nagasaki University President Hideo Tsuchiyama, who is now a member of the Committee of Seven for World Peace that groups leading Japanese intellectuals, said, "The United States as a powerful country should take the leadership on nuclear issues."
"We've been collecting signatures to ask him to visit the (two) cities, and he now deserves such a visit not only as the U.S. president but also as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate," he said.

A-bomb survivors delighted at Obama winning Nobel Peace Prize+
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!WAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! oh shit.. Got... to... breathe...

Last edited:
Check out the quotes listed in this article:

Obama Peace Prize win has Americans asking why? | Reuters

"The guy hasn't solved any conflict anywhere so how can he win the peace prize? But if we don't reelect him the next go around we will all look like idiots because the world has anointed him,"

"It looks less like an objective award than it does a political endorsement,"

"Guantanamo is not closed yet and it makes it difficult for him to increase the number of troops in Afghanistan,"

"I know what he's doing but what has he done? Change is coming but you don't win a Nobel Peace Prize for the future."

He has not closed guantanomo, we are still in Iraq, we are still in Afghanistan, We may go to Iran, unemployment is just about 10%, healthcare is stalled in congress, the Patriot act has been extended... He has done NOTHING.

I work on commission, pay my taxes & my rent - Where's my prize? Where's Ahmadinijad's prize? Where's Tyrell owens' prize? Where's GWB's prize?

Last edited:
This to me also illustrates the amount of corruption that exists on a global scale. They are royally screwing honest to God hero's of peace. People that are trying to figure out how to quell the violence in N. Africa. They are sending a message that if you talk a good game but never execute, well sure we will hand it out anyway so we can have a political alley on the global stage. The best thing that President Obama could do right now is give that shit back, and I mean today. He along with his staff may think that this is the crowning jewel of his re election campaign but this WILL bite him the ass ten fold. In my opinion the only way a sitting president should ever be awarded the Nobel Price for Peace should be if they personally over see the end of WW III. I mean actually sit down and accept pistols and lead the negations of peace.

These awards have been empty for quit a while now. But at least before they faked it well enough. Or tried to anyway, with Gore it was pretty obvious that they have lowered their standards.

Everyone seems so concerned with what other nations think about us. This is a very flawed logic. We need to consolidate our shit and handle our business here at home instead of tearing down our America and rebuilding it in whatever PC way the rest of the world wants us to be. But noooooooooo we elected an apologist to our highest seat. With a message of 'hope and change' so the rest of the world views us in a more favorable light. Well you know what, the world is not rainbows and sunshine god damn it. Back in the day the rest of the world may not have liked us all that much but they damn sure respected us. We are not huge, we dont have unlimited resources and our allies have dropped us off on the curb before so why should we rely on a global coalition of countries that think guns made out of bunnies and sunshine will actually do us a damn bit of good. Even more so when Putin is still in power, the Middle East is still a shit hole and Mexico is and has been on the brink of complete collapse?

But I guess a lot of people are still blinded by the tag line of hope and change. To busy drinking the Cool-Aid to see the dagger they are holding a knife behind their backs. Nothing has been done to remotely facilitate peace, hope or change. Well the change is under way but not in the way it was described on the trail.

Well done America, your grandparents, great grandparents and everyone else who came before us would me proud. Proud that some of them fought and died for the ideas of Democracy. The idea that we all deserve a fair shake in life. I mean, I am sure they wanted this right? That is why they stared down some of the most hostile threats this world has ever seen, so we could elected a President that runs around talking about how horribly wrong we have been in the past.

be black, be asian, be hispanic. anything other than caucasian, and you will get praise and awards. unfortunately at this time in history and around the world, if you're a wasp, you're wrong.

my $.01. no need for .02. i'm staying out of this because i'll get called a communist again. you'll learn. all of you will learn.

oh aint this some shit

Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said he hoped the prize would add momentum to Obama's efforts. At the same time, Jagland said, "We have not given the prize for what may happen in the future. We are awarding Obama for what he has done in the past year. And we are hoping this may contribute a little bit for what he is trying to do."
:lmao:

now factor this in to the equation

Below is a brief description of the process involved in selecting the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates.

September – Invitation letters are sent out. The Nobel Committee sends out invitation letters to individuals qualified to nominate – members of national assemblies, governments, and international courts of law; university chancellors, professors of social science, history, philosophy, law and theology; leaders of peace research institutes and institutes of foreign affairs; previous Nobel Peace Prize Laureates; board members of organizations that have received the Nobel Peace Prize; present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; and former advisers of the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

February – Deadline for submission. The Committee bases its assessment on nominations that must be postmarked no later than 1 February each year. Nominations postmarked and received after this date are included in the following year's discussions. In recent years, the Committee has received close to 200 different nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The number of nominating letters is much higher, as many are for the same candidates.

February-March – Short list. The Committee assesses the candidates' work and prepares a short list.

March-August – Adviser review. The short list is reviewed by permanent advisers and advisers specially recruited for their knowledge of specific candidates. The advisers do not directly evaluate nominations nor give explicit recommendations.

October
– Nobel Laureates are chosen. At the beginning of October, the Nobel Committee chooses the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates through a majority vote. The decision is final and without appeal. The names of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates are then announced.

December – Nobel Laureates receive their prize. The Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony takes place on 10 December in Oslo, Norway, where the Nobel Laureates receive their Nobel Prize, which consists of a Nobel Medal and Diploma, and a document confirming the prize amount.
yes that is right... Obama HAD to be nominated by FEBRUARY...
meaning they nominated him based off of his campaign, and his FIRST 11 DAYS IN OFFICE

so.... lets take a look at his first 2 weeks in office
The Obama Presidency Day By Day - CBS News

Week Of January 20

Week Of January 26

while im sure that those were indeed 2 busy weeks, im not really seeing anything in there worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize

i voted for the guy and i cant even believe this crock of shit. what the fuck has he done? i agree whole heartedly with the other sentiments of this thread.

Awarding him for what he has done in the past year? WTF?

"Change is coming to America.. only if you vote for me"

9 months later..

*awkward crickets*

...YOU GET THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!
Fail. That is all.

be black, be asian, be hispanic. anything other than caucasian, and you will get praise and awards. unfortunately at this time in history and around the world, if you're a wasp, you're wrong.

my $.01. no need for .02. i'm staying out of this because i'll get called a communist again. you'll learn. all of you will learn.
I know that sentiment. I realized it when I was applying to college. It is the only reason I didn't go to Seton Hall. They had no scholarships for me. Not just academic based scholarships, NO scholarships. To get money from Seton Hall you had to be a minority or a woman.

My best friend from college is half Colombian and half Italian. He says himself that he has faced little hardship because he is a minority, but he's not going to not accept free money. I still remember he applied late to Grad School and said, "Hopefully they haven't filled all the empty spots with white kids yet and I can sneak in." He was totally kidding and totally right at the same time.

werd. i applied to the air force academy, sat in a senators waiting room 3 times a week for 2 months pestering him for a nomination. Finally got my nomination, and didn't get accepted as an A student, a leader in High School ROTC and a cross-country runner.

Our top running back at my high school got into the USAFA without a nomination. They came to him for the scholarship. He didn't even have to apply. He graduated this year serving his first year in the air force with an engineering degree

werd. i applied to the air force academy, sat in a senators waiting room 3 times a week for 2 months pestering him for a nomination. Finally got my nomination, and didn't get accepted as an A student, a leader in High School ROTC and a cross-country runner.

Our top running back at my high school got into the USAFA without a nomination. They came to him for the scholarship. He didn't even have to apply. He graduated this year serving his first year in the air force with an engineering degree
That kind of sounds like it had little to do with him being a minority. For an engineering degree he must have been pretty smart. And if he got a football scholarship, he was a good athlete, regardless of skin color. But I'm also positive that him being a minority didn't hurt the situation either.

If you go to the Air Force Academy 90% of the degrees they offer are engineering degrees. And i apparently forgot to mention, yes he was a minority. I guess him being a running back gave that away though.

Back