The Office Chair thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
I set up a new home office for myself and got a nice desk set used on the cheap. The chair that it came with is a typical office chair, and frankly, it sucks. The 'racing' chair i had before just doesn't work style-wise, so i need something nicer to match the room like an executive chair, but those tend to not have adjustable arms. I had a little bistro set that I added the chairs to the front to make it look like a customer desk. I need to find a home for my printer and shredder, so ignore them for now and the pictures are not hung up in the right spots yet, so ignore that too.

I want adjust-ability (arms, back, lumbar, tilt, height, etc)and a little bit of class too and i also don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. I've been through wayfair/costco/bjs/amazon and there's really nothing sticking out that is in my price range. What do you have at your desk?

since i'm working from home now since Covid started, I'm spending a ton of time in this chair.
SmSyTamjRxmtR-3UzLs23A.jpg

let me get the info on my office chair... it's nice, adjustable as fuck and has a mesh back and bottom to keep you not so sweaty.

the only con of this chair is it builds up dust so quickly underneath due to the friction of the mesh and your clothes.

sounds like a herman miller aeron chair.
That's what I have at my office.
Runs about $1000 new, $600 refurb.
You can find them used for about 300-400, depending on the state of the economy.
They have different sizes, A, B and C. You'll probably fit in a B or C, can't remember how tall you are.
After the dot com crash these were going for about 400 in almost brand new condition due to all the closing offices in NYC.
Worth the money to buy it once and be done with it.
Most of the mesh back style chairs you'll find are a knock off of the Aeron in some fashion.

Also highly recommend the "indestructible" office chair mat, more so for carpet than hardwood, but the cheap ones usually fall apart in less than a year.

https://officedesigns.com/media/cat...27136e95/a/e/aeron-chair-p-szs-g1-g1g1-bk.jpg
aeron-chair-p-szs-g1-g1g1-bk.jpg

yeah, I've looked into those but they are just too expensive. I can't justify it. Is there a knockoff from wish? lol

They are also very sturdy and very heavy.

I got one used in 2015 from craigslist for $300, was great for a while but the tilt lock cable got too much slack.
Haven't attempted to fix it yet.
I got my boss one off ebay in 2004-2005 for about $400 and he's used it all these years with no issue.

I have this chair from steelcase in my office. Expensive but worth it. Very nice. I like recked's more so I don't get swamp ass for sitting, but I stand half the day too which helps wiht swamp ass. For standing desk, I have the ergotron's desk behind the gigantic executive wood desk like yours.

1598971355172.png

» Steelcase Leap V2, Refurbished

I have a herman miller aeron at home, I bought it like 13 or 14 years ago back when I was buying furniture for my company. When my partner bought out my half I took the chair with me, because it was literally the only chair I found that didn't cause me back issues.

Since late 2018, I've been using a stand-up desk "at work" and I just got my new desk setup at work (one day a week) as a stand-up too.

While I'm a believer in stand-up desks, I'll never give up my sitting desk at home.

I use a HON Ignition Mid Back. It's a great alternative to the Herman Millers and Steelcase which are crazy expensive yet well worth it. Id get the one with the sliding seat pan.

Very good, please update when it goes live.
(Not familiar with how this works, but I could be in the market for a new one. Good business expense.)

Wouldn't you know it...my HON Ignition chair broke lol. I was leaning back with my feet up on my desk and when i went to get up, the chair was stuck in the tilt position. When i tried to position it back to regular seating position, there was a grinding sound like metal on metal. IT now its all fucked up.

Chairs like these usually have a pretty good warranty so i contacted HON. They asked me to send them a picture of the sticker under the chair seat with the serial number and it was covered under warranty and they are Fed Exing me a new Control Mechanism. It was that simple.

i never heard of this site... is it like woot?

Drop is basically a middleman that gets a bunch of people to commit to a certain product. This "Drops" the price of the product dramatically. Then when the Drop ends, everyone pays and Drop places the order with the Company. It could take months to get the item though.

Like anything else, still shop around. Drop is not always the cheapest option but it is usually really good.

Drop is basically a middleman that gets a bunch of people to commit to a certain product. This "Drops" the price of the product dramatically. Then when the Drop ends, everyone pays and Drop places the order with the Company. It could take months to get the item though.

Like anything else, still shop around. Drop is not always the cheapest option but it is usually really good.
Yep, unless the delivered price is under $500, it's worth buying a refurbished aeron. (depending on the options).

so, basically drop is what groupon was supposed to be? group buys...

yeap..but the "Drop" only goes live if the goal is met. so they might promise a company that 500 people buy a $1000 product for $550, as an example. If the 500 people goal is not met i don't think the orders go through. At least that is how is used to be.

so, basically drop is what groupon was supposed to be? group buys...
yeap..but the "Drop" only goes live if the goal is met. so they might promise a company that 500 people buy a $1000 product for $550, as an example. If the 500 people goal is not met i don't think the orders go through. At least that is how is used to be.

Yep, it's a group buy, with a "go number" to make the MOQ to get that price.

It's only good if enough people want it.

Back