The REAL engine swap for a 240...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

I have a buddy in TX... Who had a full road race 240sx...

Well, he got bored with it... And decided to change it into a drag car..

First, he said the axles were too puny for what he wanted... So he did this...
DSCF0079.JPG

Then, he said to himself... There's only so much you can do with a KA24... But I don't feel like doing an SR... Or an RB... I want REAL power.. So he busted out the tape measure... And said... I think this might fit...
DSCF0107.JPG

And for those that wanna know how it runs...
DSCF0110.JPG

Thats goosing the throttle from idle to about 1/8 throttle... ;)

Basic Specs on the car:
406Ci Small Block, 4 bolt main
11.75:1 CR using SRP Forged Pistons
Scat Rods
Balanced And Blueprinted Bottom end
.515 lift / 292 Duration Cam
70cc Ported & Polished heads with Magnesium Valves
CSR Electric Water Pump
Holly Demon 750 Carb
Team G Intake Manifold
Custom Zumi Headers
TCI 2 Speed PowerGlide Transmission with transbrake & Carbon Fiber TransShield
Mallory Electric Fuel Pump
MSD 6al Ignition

As far as how long it took them... about 6 months... And this is NOT a tube frame car... this is a COMPLETE 240sx uniframe underneath it that has been gusseted for extra strength...

Shakedown runs hopefully wednesday night... :eek:

And after the first drive around the parking lot... The first words out of his mouth... "We need more tire"...

Oh yeah... a video of it running... RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS OR I'LL HAVE TO PULL THE LINK!!!

http://www.riotdesigns.com/videos/DragCar_FirstStart.wmv

:worthy: :worthy:

should have kept it nissan and put a a vk45 or vk56 in it. wiring would have been a b**ch, but when fully built and twin turbo charge, it would have been worth it.

its tight though, it would be a tight street car. the last thing people would expect to see when the hear that grumble is a 240. i know a kid whose family is in to drag racing. the have a 79 camaro with a 409, and i know how fast and how loud that thing is, so i can imagine how crazy that 240 is in real life

Originally posted by blackice90HB@Jul 18 2005, 10:30 AM
should have kept it nissan and put a a vk45 or vk56 in it. wiring would have been a b**ch, but when fully built and twin turbo charge, it would have been worth it.
[post=527997]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe he didn't want to spend double what he did for the same power? The SBC block and heads are much narrower than the nissan V8. I should know, I own a Q45. The engine in there's almost as wide as oprah on a donut binge.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 18 2005, 11:37 AM
Maybe he didn't want to spend double what he did for the same power? The SBC block and heads are much narrower than the nissan V8. I should know, I own a Q45. The engine in there's almost as wide as oprah on a donut binge.
[post=528004]Quoted post[/post]​

well, yeah, i guess you got a point.

Originally posted by NissanNiNjA2nd@Jul 18 2005, 02:07 PM
got a friend running a 502 in a 89 coupe..... its fun.... REALLY REALLY REALLY FUN!
[post=528104]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds like my 460-280Z project... :ph34r:

Adding to the rumor, that in fact, you CAN put a small-block Chevy into ANYTHING.

I like the concept, though, I would have rather seen something rarer- like a TT VQ56, or a 20B.

Originally posted by blackice90HB+Jul 18 2005, 02:27 PM-->
Battle Pope
@Jul 18 2005, 11:37 AM
[post=528004]Quoted post[/post]​

well, yeah, i guess you got a point.
[post=528051]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly... This motor width wise actually measures about 3" wider than the stock KA does!!! And the transmission actually mated up to the stock 240sx tranny mounting positions with very little modification!

And why a small block?? Why a big block? This small block will make 600+hp in its current form, and run 10's.

And who knows what it will do with a little more carb, slightly bigger cam, and maybe a couple hundred shot of n2o... ;) And have NOWHERE NEAR the cost of even THINKING about swapping a Nissan v8 in there... And have NOWHERE NEAR the power.

Bah....ruined it in my opinion.

RB26DETT me please....big honkin' single turbo and some funny gas. Bye-bye small block.

But I guess the small block would be cheaper, considering you can practically get them in gumball machines.

Originally posted by adnoh@Jul 19 2005, 08:57 AM
Bah....ruined it in my opinion.

RB26DETT me please....big honkin' single turbo and some funny gas. Bye-bye small block.

But I guess the small block would be cheaper, considering you can practically get them in gumball machines.
[post=528459]Quoted post[/post]​

Gawd. I hate it when people discard rational thought.

Ruined it? Please. That SBC will make more power for less money and do it 5x more reliably. You want turbo? Turbo the SBC then.

this is great and all, but if he wants to drag race seriously, he will never be classed in anything that competes at even a regional level.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 19 2005, 11:57 AM
this is great and all, but if he wants to drag race seriously, he will never be classed in anything that competes at even a regional level.
[post=528478]Quoted post[/post]​

He's doing this because he wants to race it... Not compete... Sure, he'll compete... Probably in Pro Street, or Pro Outlaw... And be very competetive.. But he doesn't care... He's doing it because he wants to.

And for the RB26DETT comment... You deserve to be SMACKED! An RB w/ a big turbo will MAYBE get you into low 12's to high 11's... And would cost you FIVE TIMES what this small block setup cost. Sure you could get it into the 10's... But don't even THINK about running it on the street, unless you run it on pure cam2, plan on replacing o2 sensors left & right from the constant cam2, and worry about it every time you drive it...

His only worry he has with this car... Not enough tire. This car is built SOLID..
DSCF0043.JPG

The entire frame channels have been gusseted for strength, as well as the roll cage that the car already had.

very nice scRapin'

I like what your buddy did to his ride....Good job....

It looks awesome....

Check this one out.. its my buddies toyota...
gallery_36335_416_5181.jpg

Back