There are somethings I just don't understand

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Liquidblaze

Compression?

What is the difference in lowering compression and raising compression (other than the obvious)?

Which one is better?

What is the best Turbo for a D15 block?

What factors should I take in consideration when buying a turbo?

Best brand?

Anyother information thatyou can give will help?

Compression. Basically the lower the compression of the motor. The more boost you can run.

If going turbo you want to lower the compression.. and what do you mean by "(other than the obvious)"? i dont want to type stuff u already know

Which one is better? Im assuming your talking about compression. If your going turbo lower your compression. You will be able to run more boost.

Best turbo for d15.. dunno.

Factors when buying a turbo? What do you want from it. Do you want it to take a while to spool up? How do you plan on cooling it? etc etc.

Brand?? I think that depeneds on where u live. For me it would be my options. In cali if you wanna keep it legal its gotta be 50 state legal so that limits my options.

other info? do it right.

Ehh- not true.

while most people think this, its far from fact.

#1- read our article on static and effective compression.
https://hondaswap.com/articles/viewer.php?id=38

Which is better? the higher the better- more compression = more power. no ifs ands or buts about it... BUT can you tune it and not blow up is a different story.

turbo for a d15 block? why?

do a swap to a b-series. they will both give you abotu the same power.
a gsr vs a boosted d15.
the gsr will be more reliable
the d15 will be maxxed out
the gsr will just be getting ready to start modding.

HTH

I dont think anyone makes a bolt on turbo kit for a D15. If I was you I would pull out a 14b(1st gen) or a 14g(2nd gen) turbo out of the talon/eclipses. then custom make an exhaust manifold for the turbo. Also grab the injectors out of the donor car. You can build a custom turbo set up for $100-$300 depending on what you pay for parts and depending on how much you do yourself!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 22 2002, 11:51 PM
turbo for a d15 block? why?

Yes, I know I will be maxxed but no one drives around with a d15 turbo. I will be getting another car in six months and I will be spending about $10K. I was thinking buying a cheap ODBII car that is about dead from a junkyard for around $2000 then I found ITR engines for $3000 NO MILES, and then around then I will have $5k to play with. So I was going to put the turbo on the d15 as a play car. For kicks ya know. I was thinking about building my own turbo but how many pounds of will I be able to run 5-8lbs?

Originally posted by knowledge@Oct 23 2002, 05:06 AM
I dont think anyone makes a bolt on turbo kit for a D15.

BTW my block is a D16 and I found a complete kit from turbokits.com. Here is a picture of a D16 block from that site.

d16_turbo_kit.jpg

that's an interesting place to put the MSD ignition

I dont think anyone makes a bolt on turbo kit for a D15. If I was you I would pull out a 14b(1st gen) or a 14g(2nd gen) turbo out of the talon/eclipses. then custom make an exhaust manifold for the turbo. Also grab the injectors out of the donor car. You can build a custom turbo set up for $100-$300 depending on what you pay for parts and depending on how much you do yourself!

uhhhh, all the companies (greddy, apexi, revhard) that make a d
series kit also fit the d15

i agree with pissedoffsol, yeah it will be decently fast when you turbo the d series, but why bother? just swap in the superior b series

i actually just got done selling my turbo off my d15, now im stepping up to a b series, i was not really happy with the power my d15 was putting out

i guess its just how fast you want to go

is there a compression ratio that everyone intends on getting, like a perfect compression ratio? If there is, what is it?

there is no such thing.

the higher the compression, the more power you make, the harder it is to tune, and the more likely you will blow up.

the lower the compression, the less power you make, the easier it is to tune, and the less likely you will blow up.

make sense?

Originally posted by SolReaver+Oct 23 2002, 03:45 PM-->
knowledge
@Oct 23 2002, 05:06 AM
I dont think anyone makes a bolt on turbo kit for a D15.  If I was you I would pull out a 14b(1st gen) or a 14g(2nd gen) turbo out of the talon/eclipses.  then custom make an exhaust manifold for the turbo.  Also grab the injectors out of the donor car.  You can build a custom turbo set up for $100-$300 depending on what you pay for parts and depending on how much you do yourself!

uhhhh, all the companies (greddy, apexi, revhard) that make a d
series kit also fit the d15

i agree with pissedoffsol, yeah it will be decently fast when you turbo the d series, but why bother? just swap in the superior b series

i actually just got done selling my turbo off my d15, now im stepping up to a b series, i was not really happy with the power my d15 was putting out

i guess its just how fast you want to go

I never said you couldn't modify the manifold to make it work! I know you have to modify the manifold to have it fit on ZC's and expecially the D15's! It would be more feesable and cheaper for him to build one himself if he plans on swapping the motor n e way!

Actually, knowledge, i had the greddy 92-95 ex civic kit on my del sol, which had a d15b7, and everything bolted right on. No modification is needed to anything. If it were me, i would just save the money and modify the new car that he gets...but i guess its all preference and what he wants to do. Im not sure if the greddy kit bolts onto the zc, its a d-series so i would think that the manifold lines up fine, but i dont know about everything else.

you have to cut a notch out of the manifold so it fits on the ZC but thats it. Hmm never knew it would directly fit a D15... My bad... just assumed it would need to be modded because of the differences between the D16 and D15.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 23 2002, 08:57 AM
that's an interesting place to put the MSD ignition

It's probably just sitting there, since the engine is not in the car... they probably mount it somewhere else later.
:D

is it easier to tune a low compression, high boost car or a high compression low boost car?

I dont think anyone makes a bolt on turbo kit for a D15. If I was you I would pull out a 14b(1st gen) or a 14g(2nd gen) turbo out of the talon/eclipses.

ahh...knowledge....the 2nd gen eclipse's came with a T25...as for a good turbo that won't destroy a D15....nill....D15 have really weak rods and rod bolts...but junkyard turbos that are plentiful are the TD05's vovlo, saab used them, audi's used KKK's, dodge K-cars...though a pain in the rear to get out just to see if it's good!rebuilding a good core is inexpensive...the money saved could put good rod bolts and at least a better upgrade rods....D15's shorter stroke...when paired with a properly sized turbo...is a very good street motor..racing?....go B-series...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 24 2002, 12:33 AM
the lower the compression, the less power you make, the easier it is to tune, and the less likely you will blow up.

so even though you say a lower compression engine makes less power can't you use more boost on that kind of engine.

i.e.

96 eagle talon (esi) high compression motor with a tsi turbo on it compared to a d16y7 (not a high compression engine) with a turbo kit.

the d16 can lower its compression and run more boost.

Am i getting this straight?

talons are NOT hig compression. 8.5:1 i think stock.

as far as what is easier- more boost, less compression vs less boost, more compression
its a comparison that cannot be made.

Back