Thinking about getting a wrx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16ahatch

Hey guys Im thinkingabout getting a wrx for a daily driver. It would be one of the older modles like 98-02 i think. Im just lookin for something thats all wheel drive, and has a little more power then your average car.Im not looking to build it either, maybe at the most an exhaust and some wheels. Basically my hatch sucks in bad weather. Plus i kinda once something with some ac and power sterring. Basically i just wanna get some input from you guys on what you think of them, have you ever driven one, did you like it? Are they fun cars to drive? how are they in snow? basically would it be a good investment? and how much is to much to pay for them? thanks for the input in advance

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jan 21 2004, 10:35 AM
get a legacy awd or an impreza rs. those are much better.

Why are they better? Define better. Better how?

B16- when you say your hatch sucks in bad weather, I assume you mean snow. Are you using snow tires on all four wheels?

im pretty sure an impreza rs has about the same if not more hp than your honda turbo.

edit: my bad. youve got something going on under the hood. but why not just slap a turbo on the rs?

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Jan 21 2004, 10:38 AM-->
TurboMirage
@Jan 21 2004, 10:35 AM
get a legacy awd or an impreza rs. those are much better.

Why are they better? Define better. Better how?

B16- when you say your hatch sucks in bad weather, I assume you mean snow. Are you using snow tires on all four wheels?

2.5L, AWD. power options.

if i were to get a subaru it would have to be a wrx. I think they aare nice and classy plus they are a 4 dr which is what i like. im just looking for something with a little bit of get up and go and a little bit more luxury then a hatch

Originally posted by b16ahatch+Jan 21 2004, 10:39 AM-->
TurboMirage
@Jan 21 2004, 10:38 AM
im pretty sure an impreza rs has about the same if not more hp than your honda turbo.

350whp?

i edited my post.

thats pretty nice B) ! my next car will definately be awd. i dont quite want a lancer evo unless i can import a wrecked 2-3 gsr, or pick up a colt turbo awd or something. i would probably end up with an RS of the previous generation to the wrx.

well i found a silver 02 wrx for 15500 with 69000 miles. Do you guys think thats a good deal

EDIT: its bone stock

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jan 21 2004, 10:38 AM

edit: my bad. youve got something going on under the hood. but why not just slap a turbo on the rs?

cause i just want a stock car. just a nice little daily driver with a littl bit of attitude. i already have one money pit.

Loco Honkey I have azenis the whole way around. Im sure the hatch would do better in snow tires but i would imagine that a wrx would do better just ebcause its all wheels drive. Plus the hatch has no power steering which can be a pain in the ass sometimes, and no ac which i dont mind to much but i would like to have it every now and then. Plus its loud as hell witht he thermal 3 inch on there, and it dosent have very much room in it.

First off, WRX's were made from '01 on.

Second, 2.5 RS's are somewhat of a dog, unless you put some money into them (read: turbo it). There have a decent amount of power, but I think you'll begin to find them lacking. You can't just "slap a turbo on it", it'll take at least 3 grand, much like turboing a Honda. It's just easier to do, and easier to maintain than a turbo Honda.

Next, that price seems a little high for an '02 with that many miles. My '02 has 32k on it, but I paid a bit more for the many options that were installed.

My advice is to only look for a WRX (not a 2.5 RS), and if you want that '02, try to talk the price down a little. Any options, like carbon fiber interior trim, gauge pod, etc?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 21 2004, 10:55 AM

Second, 2.5 RS's are somewhat of a dog, unless you put some money into them (read: turbo it). There have a decent amount of power, but I think you'll begin to find them lacking. You can't just "slap a turbo on it", it'll take at least 3 grand, much like turboing a Honda. It's just easier to do, and easier to maintain than a turbo Honda.

Next, that price seems a little high for an '02 with that many miles. My '02 has 32k on it, but I paid a bit more for the many options that were installed.

My advice is to only look for a WRX (not a 2.5 RS), and if you want that '02, try to talk the price down a little. Any options, like carbon fiber interior trim, gauge pod, etc?

k wasent to sure about the yars so thanks for claryifying that for me.The wrx is pretty much stock. It dosent even have a cd player in it.

EDIT it has a cd changer

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 21 2004, 10:55 AM

obviously turbo costs money. :p you need all the associated parts, and while your at it might as well get good ones.

thats just what i would do.

WRX was only sold in 2000-up. I would get the 2.5RS and turbo it! better looking in my opinion too. U can get them in 2or 4 door and it still would be cheaper. The WRX has a 2.0@227hp and the 2.5RS@165hp. still not bad at all. what about like a Legacy GT? they are cool looking and have the same engine as the RS. Those can be had for about 8-10k for a 98+

Why get a sube? What about Volvo? S40-60-70-80? SOme have AWD with turbo and I think one of the S40's have a 2.4T with like 250hp? This would be way better as a daily driver too.

i love my friends 02 wrx, great cars. if you can afford it, definately get one. the RS's are cool, i like their front ends a little better and they are actually lighter. you could pick up one of those and swap in the wrx or a jdm sti motor :)

Originally posted by b16ahatch@Jan 21 2004, 08:59 AM
Is there really any diff between the 01 and 02 modles?

As far as I know, the '01, being a first-year edition, tends to have more bugs, faults, etc. You're better off sticking with an '02 or '03 (THOSE are the years that have no differences).

I'd get a Subie over a Volvo since Subie's don't cost shitloads to repair. A buddy of mine drove a Volvo, and it cost him over $500 to replace a taillight.

Also, a Subaru is much easier to mod (if you want to), and most dealerships are mod-friendly and will go out of their way to help you with aftermarket parts. Also, look at this: I spent $1200 after I got my WRX, and it netted me 65 horsepower. I don't see that happening with a Volvo.

Also, if you ever get the bug in you, a Subaru will be leaps and bounds above other turbo AWD cars at the drag strip or autocross track.

Back