This is what happens...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Chaulk one up to my lazy brother. I had everything set to get these switched over Easter... but he wouldn't budge from his recliner.

Why not just do it yourself? it takes all of 15 mins to change the front pads/rotors.

BTW nice clean wheels.

Bleeding brakes by yourself sucks if you don't have the speedbleeder thingies...

And I'd put money on James NOT having speedbleeder thingies.

Originally posted by civicious@Aug 15 2005, 01:08 AM
Bleeding brakes by yourself sucks if you don't have the speedbleeder thingies...

And I'd put money on James NOT having speedbleeder thingies.
[post=540117]Quoted post[/post]​

Why would he have to bleed the brakes? he's not changing the fluid. Just compress the pistons with some clamps and slip the new pads in place. Sometimes it helps to clamp the piston using two clamps one on each side then leaving it for a min. it will slowly go back into place. Some other cars will have pistons that will need to be turned in order to get them back in place. Next time you're at an auto parts store ask them for a brake piston key. It's a square that has "duh"6 sides to it each side has different notches that fit into difffernet companies pistons. All you do is turn it till it goes all the way back in place.

And as for bleeding the brakes by yourself... it's really not that bad. I've done it many times using a piece of wood placed between the seat and brake pedal.

takes a little longer but still gets the job done. Once again only needed if you tamper with the brake fluid.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Aug 15 2005, 01:19 AM
It's a square that has "duh"6 sides to it each side has different notches that fit into difffernet companies pistons.

That would be a CUBE, you geometrically retarded bastard.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Aug 15 2005, 01:06 AM
Why not just do it yourself? it takes all of 15 mins to change the front pads/rotors.

BTW nice clean wheels.
[post=540116]Quoted post[/post]​

Why not do it myself? Because I was doing the rears. I did the front pads myself in October.

hehe ill post pics of mine they are worse then yours...if I still have the old pads...I still havn't changed my rotors becuase of those FUCKIN SET SCREWS! I tried impact driver that doesn't work how did you drill the other side out? cuase I think im gonna have to do that <_<

ok...

first to the screws...
these screws need to be SHOCKED to get them out...
the easiest way to do this is an impact driver, much diffrent from an impact gun..

the other way is to hit a screwdriver with a hammer...

i usually use a phillips bit in a 1/4 inch socket with a 6 inch extension...
put the bit in the screw and beat the shit out of it with a hammer...
then you use your ratchet and the screws should come right out...

if all else fails you can use a drill to drill the head off the screw and the rotor will come right off, but i have never seen a screw not come out after being shocked with a hammer...

to the self bleeders out there, invest the 40 bucks in a vacuum pump/self brake bleeder, it will amke your life much easier...

the brakes with the screw in caliper? those are always the rears that have an e-brake line going to them... and the rears usually don't need to be bled just to change pads...

:withstupid:

and when you reassemble use never seize. you'll never have to worry about those stripping little screws again.

I got mine out with an impact driver, just make sure its set correctly (so your not screwing them in tighter). As for the retaining screws not being there... the lug nugs hold the rotor in place, the retaining screws are just to help hold the rotor there during wheel changes, it wont affect normal driving.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 15 2005, 08:35 AM
to the self bleeders out there, invest the 40 bucks in a vacuum pump/self brake bleeder, it will amke your life much easier...
[post=540171]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I just drilled out the screws and never put any back in. You don't need them there. And holy hell man, do your brakes yourself; I think my g/f can even do her own brakes.

lol i was fed bad information "just pound on your old rotors with a hammer, dont mind the screws it should still come right out" yeah, right lol. an Impact should get the fuckers right out, even though i twisted the bit..
anywho, who bleeds their brakes?? i didnt even clamp mine off, nothing leaked at all. pussies.

i need to get off my ass and go put my new rotors on :p i got the ceramic pads on already that are probably shot to hell now but they were only 30 bucks from advance auto parts :) rotors are slotted semi cross drilled from TireRack.com powerslot...and I got some protech rear shoes anyone know what I need to do a disk brake conversion? I heard get the discs off of a del sol but what year? 94? and what all do I need to take off
btw sorry to thread jack but its easier then making a new thread :p

Back