This nut is a pain to get off..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

MthaFuknGreen

Green on the scene.
not sure if its the right thread or not..
but i finally started the work on my transmission, but im having some troubles getting it out.
the left axle nut doesnt wanna come off!
the right one came off pretty fucking easily, but the left is another story.
i broke a cheap walmart torque wrench, a breaker bar and a dynocraft socket wrench trying to get it off..
i just went and bought a fresh, better breaker bar, some p.b. penetrating fluid and a torch.
ima combine all those and hopefully itll work.

but anyone else have any nifty tips?
and what do i have to do after i get the nut off?
i didnt take the right one off, a luder from preludepower.com came over and helped me with it.

yeah, ive got that part handled already.
will the p.b. really help that much combined with the torch?
cuz this thing wouldnt fucking budge..

idk really what i like to do is have a deep well socket on the nut and then use a floor jack handle, but have the car still on the ground with the rims still on it.

Buy a better, stronger, longer breaker bar. Or get a really strong one and slap a 3' cheater bar on it.

And don't ever use a torque wrench for removal of bolts, or tightening/prying beyond its limits. It trashes the calibration and the wrench is pretty much trash afterwards.

i bought an 18" long, 1/2" power built breaker bar.
its gotta lifetime warranty.
i made sure of that.

and i cant find anything to use as a cheater bar! lol

Heat the nut up so that the whole nut is cherry red, then use impact gun and get it off. I had the same problem as you and i tried everything you did and bent just as much tools as you, and heating it up cherry red is the only way it came off

Heat the nut up so that the whole nut is cherry red, then use impact gun and get it off. I had the same problem as you and i tried everything you did and bent just as much tools as you, and heating it up cherry red is the only way it came off

thats what im trying to do right now, ive been at it for a good 15 minutes.
im taking a break and letting the p.b. soak in a little bit, but im bout to go back at it.

propane or mapp gas wont get it hot enough, I went to my mechanic and borrowed his gas, but Im not sure what he uses, its a lot hotter though, thats when it finally popped off. it wouldnt work with mapp gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back