Throttle Body And Intake Manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What are the best brands for intake manifolds and throttle bodies?
And what sizes are the best?

What motor? Skunk2 is good, but I hear its just an ITR manifold, I might be wrong. Type R TB's are ideal. Those are for b-series. If you are running a y8 IM, skunk2 is suppose to be out soon and a y8 IM accepts b and h series TB's.

Nothing different in an aftermarket one and a stock one except the bore and some MIGHT have a groove to get the air spinning better and get it into the IM faster.

general question = general answer.

TB:
ITR are good, spoon are good, JG are good, 60mm b16 TB bored to 64mm by kingmotorsports is good, edelbrock might be good

IM:
skunk2 are good, JG victorX are good anyone else even make one??

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Feb 27 2003, 08:47 PM
Venom makes one and I think STR (shitty y0) has an IM out.

i do believe the STR and Venom are the exact same design... plus they are better for turbo?

all motor, stick with a type-r or skunk2 [pratically the same, no difference i think]...
TB: ericks racing, or b16 bored to 64mm

Originally posted by 2 litre EG+Feb 27 2003, 09:25 PM-->
Domeskilla
@Feb 27 2003, 08:47 PM
Venom makes one and I think STR (shitty y0) has an IM out.

i do believe the STR and Venom are the exact same design... plus they are better for turbo?

all motor, stick with a type-r or skunk2 [pratically the same, no difference i think]...
TB: ericks racing, or b16 bored to 64mm

They might be the same design, but I dont see Venom and STR being the same IM with a different name. Yea, i've heard they are better for turbo applications. :)

for TB get your stock one bored out. go to http://www.proflowdesign.com i got my TB bored to 64mm by them, with calibrated TPS, and new butterfly plate, lookes great $175 shipped :)
s3e49d8d591ee8.jpg

the skunk2 manifold is basically a type-r copy, i got one because i got the skunk2 for very cheap. i also threw on the hondata heatsheild gasket when i swapped manifolds, the manifold stays much cooler now, i was surprised.
s3e49d7fe32b74.jpg

they helped out my top end :)

anybody have any comments on the edelbrock manifold...NA vs. forced induction? seen any dyno sheets? heard any feedback/results? ...since we're on the TB and IM topic and all....decisions, decisions ;)

Originally posted by HondasHateMe@Feb 27 2003, 11:32 PM
anybody have any comments on the edelbrock manifold...NA vs. forced induction? seen any dyno sheets? heard any feedback/results? ...since we're on the TB and IM topic and all....decisions, decisions ;)

the JG Edelbrock is a nice manifold, i've heard good STORIES about it, but not seen any dyno charts or anything positive in person... i was about to buy one but i got a good deal on getting my stock type-r IM port matched to my 70mm TB and the runners extrude honed...

the jgedelbrock site says their manifold can be used for both NA and FI.

ehhh i was gonna put a pic of my TB but i cant find my digital cam =/ damn it!

maybe tomorrow, i f i dont get lazy B)

i found a picture of the TB from the top that took about two weeks ago... once i find my camera i'll pull off the intake and take a pic of the plenum

:worthy: :worthy:
s3e5f24271a4d4.jpg
:worthy: :worthy:

all hail the Ericks 70mm TB LOL :lol: :lol:

i hered that the 75mm throttle body wus great with the victor x manifold especially with turbo. In my mind they are the best all around.

the edlebrock manifold sux ass IMO it only makes power between 7200 on u0p.and loses mad bottom end. plus its ugle. i say a ported ITR rocks. and the spoon t-body out performs ericks t-bod ive dynoed both.of course every motor is different but keep in mind a huge t-body lets in massive amounts of air but at a slower rate. a t-body that starts big and tapers down such as the spoon works well to let in alot of air but also keep the airspeed up. AIR VElocity is one of the most important parts of airflow.

Originally posted by HOOKUPSPROCRX@Mar 27 2003, 02:18 AM
and the spoon t-body out performs ericks t-bod ive dynoed both.of course every motor is different but keep in mind a huge t-body lets in massive amounts of air but at a slower rate. a t-body that starts big and tapers down such as the spoon works well to let in alot of air but also keep the airspeed up. AIR VElocity is one of the most important parts of airflow.

I don't see how the Spoon TB could out perform an Erick's racing if they're both the same size. The Erick's are also tapered 2mm down just as spoons' are.

Spoon = waste of money IMO

93tegh22- The Erick's TBs come in 68-66mm, 70-68mm, and 72-70mm... They don't make a 75mm size.

IM with combination of short runners and long runners (type-r) are the absolute best for N/A. manifolds like venom, jg, or any other that uses a single runner length is good for turbo.

Why? In N/A engines when the piston draws in air theres a shock wave that moves up into the IM and bounces back, which kinda compresses the air. if the resonance is off, then there the whole pattern would be messed up and the engine wouldnt make as much power. longer runner for low rpm and shorter runner for high rpm. flow velocity in low and high rpms is optimal.
In turbo apps the air is already being forced into the engine. but most use short runners b/c turbo doesnt full build up until higher rpms.

2 Litre EG,
how do you like your Erick's TB, I was thinking about mating it with a type-r IM on my B16. What kind of IM are you using?
I'm going all motor that's why I've picked that particular IM to go with, anyone have any thoughts on this...

the biggeste reason i've chose to go with that TB is cuz i'm going to go to Erick's in about a week to get my ECU re-chipped, the ECU was originally chipped by him, and I wanna see if he'll gimme a deal on the TB. we'll see.

Back