Tires registered with the DOT?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
since the truck is gone, and genny has about 5 seasons on the snows, the rears are a little low. If i had the truck, i would have just went this season on them. Since it's gone, i need a good rear tire with tread.

I have the birdgestone blizzack lm-60's on it now, but apparently those are no longer being made. The lm-32's that replaced them seem to be less of a die hard snow tire, focusing more on dry traction/stability-- exactly what i don't want (i think the lm-60's are fine).

So, dad didn't know what to get me for Xmass, so bingo, thanks dad! had him order me up a set of the Michelin Pilot Aplin PA4 to try for the rears. my front lm-60's are still 80% tread life, so it won't be too far off of a match on the set.

Anyway,

On the receipt from TireRack.com, it says
Note: As a complimentary service to you, the Tire Identification Codes for the tires you purchased will be automatically registered with the Department of Transportation (DOT).

WTF is this? is this a new law?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=171

This is news to me.. first i've seen of it. Are you guys aware of this and i'm just oblivious?

Yeah, i was thinking about the exploder issue, but that's easy to find considering it was an OE tire... simply go to the DMV for rev of said vehicles. I guess they want to include aftermarket sales as well.

I'm glad i'm just not the only one who didn't know about this. I've bought a ton of tires through the 'rack and this is the first time i've noticed it. If it's been law since 2006, i've purchased about 8 sets of tires through them since then.

you should always look at the manufacture date on the tires when you get a new, or even an older set. just incase. new tires are not necessarily new if they have been sitting in a warehouse for a number of years.

Yup, i get that. tires have a half life :) but there's nothing before that linked that serial number to an owner.

well now when the feds determine the skid marks are a match for Mashamoto ZX tires they will not only know that the heists are somehow related to the street-racing world, but they will also be able to pull up a list of owners of those tires
:thumbup:

Pretty soon, tread patters will need to include serial numbers so skid marks leave the numbers as evidence.

Pretty soon, tread patters will need to include serial numbers so skid marks leave the numbers as evidence.

skid marks should never be used as evidence for anything. :p

Back