Tokyo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
I'm going to Japan in late July for work. I'll be in the Tochigi area most of the time, but I get a weekend to do whatever the hell I want. I want to stay within a few hours of Tokyo. I'd hate to blow my 2.5 days of free time on trains. IIRC a few of you have been out there or have sig others from there. Anything you recommend to do?

<-- Also waiting for Airjockie to chime in, I'm going to Mie in September to meet my wife's family for the first time. So far I'm going to drive on Suzuka circuit since it's so close, but in a gokart on the shortened kart track since I have no Japanese license.

Last edited:
Being in Tochigi you're not far from Nikko. That was one of the highlights of my trip to Tokyo. Nikko is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, so there is tons of history there.

We stayed one night at a Ryokan(Nikko Green Hotel FUWARI -Natsukashiya-), which was amazing, and then the next day we went to the 2 shrines and 1 temple around Nikko. They're all close to eachother, and the Ryokan was not all that far from the shrines so we just walked it.

Here's some pictures of my trip Tokyo 2010 - a set on Flickr

Nikko starts right after the photos of the Taiyaki.

I can't say much for Tokyo area, if you were in the Osaka area...I'd have a fully planned trip in 30 minutes up for ya.

just go, ask for nearest Gaijin bar...and go with the cutest chick that will talk with you.

<-- Also waiting for Airjockie to chime in, I'm going to Mie in September to meet my wife's family for the first time. So far I'm going to drive on Suzuka circuit since it's so close, but in a gokart on the shortened kart track since I have no Japanese license.

Your in luck... first, go up to the mountains and find a nice onsen to relax in for a day and night. Worth every yen.

Then go hook up with Hide, near nagoya.

プロフィール|ヒ デ|ã¿んカラ - 車・自動車SNS(ブログ・パーツ・整備・燃費)

I can message him to set up a meeting if your up to it.

It might be better if you joined my mixi, a japanese facebook...with the help of your wife...and you can find him and others in the area to go hang out with.

and there is this...

nagoya - Google Maps

Hit up the Akihabara store. :)

I want to go to the car showdown in Nagoya when I'm there... couldn't find any performance shops anywhere in the Nagoya area last month. :(

Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely want to do something to see the car scene while I'm there. I could care less about all the touristy things.

Back