Tranny...? What?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ls5gen

Hello, I'm swapping a b18b1 into a 5th gen civic. I was wondering which tranny should a go for? Should I go for the tranny that comes with the b18b1 or should I get a tranny off a b18c1? My brother has a 94 integ ls, and it seems that his tranny has long gears(like he can go like 118mph in 4th, his car is stock). I heard the gsr tranny's have substanially shorter gears. Any advice and help would be much appreciated....thank you in advance?
:ph34r:

If you're staying all-motor, get the GSR transmission. If you're planning on boosting the engine, go with the LS transmission. If you just want a swap (no boost) but retain maximum highway driveability, stay with the LS transmission... but you'll lose some acceleration.

Hey,
Thank you for the advice, but what is the difference between the two tranny's. I plan on boosting, so you are saying that the ls tran is stronger??

No, the ls tranny is better for boost because you can run through the gears a little slower. If you had a really short gear tranny like the ITR's tranny, you would be shifting into second gear .00002 seconds into the race. With the LS tranny, you will also not have tons of wheel spin like you would with the ITR off the line with turbo.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 12 2003, 12:04 AM
running the LS tranny on a boosted setup is an internet myth that a lot of us fell into.

It all depends on what your power curve looks like. :lol:

Phillip actually recommends a GSR transmission for boost... and that's what I was going to run when the engine rebuild plan was set to run boost. GSR tranny with a Quaife LSD (straight trade for my ITR w/LSD) and tons of boost on a 2.0L GSR block LS/VTEC setup. Oh well, all motor is how I'm staying, and I'll keep my tranny plus some newn synchros...

if your ever planing to get ls/vtec go with the gsr tranny, i do believe the ls will drop out of vtec shifting gears unless you shift at 8100 or above everytime ,, yet i could be wrong

u guys need 2 read up ur info more a gsr and an ls tranny have the exact same 1st thru 4th the only diffrence is the ls has a longer final drive gear i had a ls tranny in my 92 hatch and killed it n now have a gsr i would go with the ls for boost

Originally posted by puffy00@Feb 14 2003, 01:53 AM
u guys need 2 read up ur info more a gsr and an ls tranny have the exact same 1st thru 4th the only diffrence is the ls has a longer final drive gear i had a ls tranny in my 92 hatch and killed it n now have a gsr i would go with the ls for boost

Uh... no.

94-01 GSR:

1 3.23
2 1.9
3 1.36
4 1.034
5 0.787
R 3
F 4.4

94-01 LS:

1 3.23
2 1.9
3 1.269
4 0.966
5 0.714
R 3
F 4.266

Only 1 and 2 are the same- the rest of the gears are taller from 3-5, and the final drive is also taller in the LS.

Back