Troubleshooting My Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
Okay, so I'm running an OBD1 b16a in my 99 sedan. It's throwing code 41 heated oxygen sensor.

Now, it's a JDM b16a but I'm running a USDM P30 ecu from a del sol. Could this be why and if so, how do I fix it? Also, did the USDM b16a come with a knock sensor that it's trying to read but isn't in my JDM b16a?

I would think it should be a code 10 for primary Oxygen Sensor but instead it's for heated? Any clues?

OBD1 or OBD2 USDM P30 ECU? OBD2 wants two O2 sensors.

Both JDM and USDM B16A want a knock sensor. At least OBD1 and OBD2 does.

are you sure it's not 4 and 10 instead of 41?

heated is just one of the black wires on the 4-wire o2 wiring. if you spiced stuff, its possible you reversed the 2 black wires.

It's showing 23 and 41, knock and heated oxygen. The ecu is from a Del Sol VTEC so I'm pretty sure it's OBD1 and only needs one sensor. BUT, I also forgot to mention that the sensor was NOT spliced it was plug n play brand new. Also forgot to mention that we were running very rich for a little while because all we had was a chipped p28 with a p72 basemap and o2 and knock were deleted from it. So I ruined it trying to solder a p30 chip on it, and settled for a USDM p30 that allegedly came from a del sol. The ecu says -p30-000 or maybe four zeros. Not sure, but I think it just got burnt up because we were running so rich and it was my buddy's daily which is now my daily, so we drove it and never went beyond 6k rpm with the gsr basemap on it. It's so slow right now that it's actually dangerous and I've been driving another car.

You can try cleaning the o2 by taking a propane torch to it to get some carbon build up off of it, then re-install. That's what they do at the dyno for the widebands.

del sol is the only us p30 ecu.

you CAN retrofit a knock sensor into the block if you want.

Okay so, I think I've figured out why this is giving me a small headache.

The b16a is OBDO, converted to OBD1 with injectors, etc., and we're running it on OBDII wiring if I'm not mistaken with a xenocron conversion harness. I replaced the o2 sensor and it produced very little results and still ran slow, the code 41 is still there. Then I remembered that we were running a chipped p28 with the p72 basemap. This one had knock and o2 deleted. So now, both of those codes are still showing up on the stock p30, however..We had the ignition timing retarded all the way for the 1.8 basemap so I just thought of that and advanced it properly. It has been driving pretty well since, but now I have no back pressure. It does have a Megan header and full Yonaka exhaust with a gutted catalytic converter.

I'm thinking about sending in the p30 to have knock and o2 deleted unless I can figure out how to eliminate that damn 41 and because the knock sensor does not exist on this motor. The guy we haggled it from said it was in a CRX when he was stationed in Japan.

This is the car by the way:
11219725_907184162680914_8717957537433483785_n.jpg

Last edited:
if you still have the p28, just have someone with a burner burn you a default p30 map with those options disabled.

i would recommend you figure out the o2 issue though... the heated circuit is an emissions thing for cold start, but long term, you'll get MUCH better part throttle mileage/response if you do run the o2.

knock is fine to disable (shouldn't do anything unless you feed it bad gas or have wrong ignition, etc)

I would like to salvage the p28 but I really jacked it up pulling out the old chip it's destroyed. I'm totally lost as to the o2 issue I'm pretty sure it's running just fine but I can't clear the code. And I only use 91 octane. It ran way better with o2 deleted on the p72 map though.

Before I tuned the ignition timing the timing belt was jumping all around but now it stays still and looks right maybe I should check the tensioner tomorrow.

I would still say buy a p28 or p06 and have that socketed. virgin usdm p30s are RARE and actually worth something to the right buyer. don't destroy it!

The ecu is fine, but you're right I should probably just trade for a chipped and socketed p28 with an eprom b16a obd1 w/o knock and o2 and I'd be better off.

This IS an OBD1 ecu correct? Or is it a Civic SI?
12038402_920963417969655_6586730005490340437_n.jpg

The motor came out of what year CRX? In Japan, a CRX can be a Del Sol. I am still curious to why your motor doesn't have a knock sensor. I know your engine harness doesn't have a plug for it but I keep thinking the sensor is on the block.

Yes, it IS in fact a JDM ecu. I didn't really pay attention. But still, I dont' believe there's a knock sensor on the motor and I've seen footage of the CRX from the guy I bought it from. To the best of my knowledge, OBD0 didn't come equipped with knock sensors and there is not one on my block.

Back