tryin to make my 95 accord 5speed can anyone help?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95accordf22

tryin to make my 95 accord 5speed, what do i need, has any 1 done this, i have a f22 in it now what trans do i need

This is from accordinglydone.com

spelling owns me so please dont flame on spelling i will do my best
this thread is for the ppl who want to do a 5speed conversion on there 94-95 accord.

i am only writing this for the years listed above there are some similar things to other years but since i did it on a 95 ex thats what im writing about.

1.parts list, i will list two parts list

1st list
1. 5 speed transmission (F22, F23, H22, H23)
2. 5 speed starter (90-02 Accord 92-02 Prelude)
3. 5 speed shifter assembly w/ shifter cables (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
4. 5 speed drivers side axle (your year accord, but from 5-spd version)
5. 5 speed intermediate shaft (your year accord, but from 5-spd version)
6. 5 speed clutch pedal assembly (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
7. 5 speed brake pedal arm (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
8. Clutch master cylinder w/ reservoir (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
9. Clutch line from Clutch master cylinder to clutch dampener (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
10. Clutch dampener assembly (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
11. Clutch line from Clutch dampener to 5 speed tranny (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
12. Clutch line from 5 speed tranny to slave cylinder (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
13. Slave cylinder (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
14. Clutch (90-02 Accord 92-01 Prelude)
15. Flywheel (90-02 Accord 92-01 Prelude)
16. 5 speed mount (Your year, 5-spd version)
17. 5 speed mount bracket (go to honda - tell them to look for the bracket that is welded on the car - part is S.O.P and costs 15-25.00) (see notes)
18. MIG WELDER (see notes)
19. BOLTS: 8 Flywheel Bolts, 6 Pressure Plate Bolts, 3 Intermediate Shaft Bolts, 1 Long Tranny Bolt
20. Recommended: HELMS Service Manual (www.helminc.com)

2nd list, this is the list i used
1. 5 speed transmission (F22, F23, H22, H23)
2. 5 speed starter (90-02 Accord 92-02 Prelude)
3. 5 speed shifter assembly w/ shifter cables (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
4. 5 speed drivers side axle (your year accord, but from 5-spd version)
5. 5 speed intermediate shaft (your year accord, but from 5-spd version)
6. 5 speed clutch pedal assembly (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
7. 5 speed brake pedal arm (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
8. Clutch master cylinder w/ reservoir (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
9. custon clutch line made for 50 bucks from (www.bonacoinc.com)
10. Slave cylinder (90-97 Accord 92-96 Prelude)
11. Clutch (90-02 Accord 92-01 Prelude)
12. Flywheel (90-02 Accord 92-01 Prelude)
13. 5 speed mount (Your year, 5-spd version)
14. 5 speed mount bracket (go to honda - tell them to look for the bracket that is welded on the car - part is S.O.P and costs 15-25.00) (see notes)
15. MIG WELDER (see notes)
16. BOLTS: 8 Flywheel Bolts, 6 Pressure Plate Bolts, 3 Intermediate Shaft Bolts, 1 Long Tranny Bolt
17. Recommended: HELMS Service Manual (www.helminc.com)

in the list you will see a welder is needed. this is an option for the conversion
in the write up i will show you how you can do it with out a welder.

for purposes of room and my timing belt being over due for a change i pulled my motor and trans you dont have to take it out but it is much better to do so.

from inside the car shift the car into drive and remove the center console, glove box, and kick panel under the streering wheel for access. shift back into park

drain all the fuilds and jack the front of the car up. take the wheels off and the brake calipers, remove the 36mm axle nut and the 17mm nut on the lower balljoint. swing the knuckles out and away from the axle and remove the axle repeat for other side.

from under the car remove the center support beam and all the plastic covers. next remove the auto shift wire (one wire) there is a access cover on the trans that will have to be removed before you can unhook the shift wire

after that is done remove the engine as per the helms book
make sure you mark everything that is taken off. all vac lines and wires

with the motor out now is a good time to do the clutch master cylinder
and the pedals.
clutch master cylinder=CMC

for the CMC you will need to drill the mounting holes out, two mounting hols and one large hole for the plunger
from the inside of the cabin you will have to put spacers on the studs for the CMC to sit right

this is from a 5speed car
241002_77_full.jpg

this is from a auto car w/out the spacers, they have to added
241002_79_full.jpg

there is a 3rd bolt on the top of the mount to make it work you will have to take the wiper motor out and use a long bolt (its a bitch) but its a must.

for the brake pedal all you have to do is swap the arm not the whole bracket.
nothing for the gas pedal its the same

now you can do the wiring from under the car drop the rest of the exhaust dont unbolt it just slip it off the hangers just enough so you can unbolt the heat shield.
once its unbolted and out of the way you will see a little metal plate where the shift cables go. take the plate off, from the inside of the car unbolt the auto shifter and slip wire up and out of the access cover you just unbolted from under the car. now bolt on the 5speed shifter and fish the cables through that same access hole run the cables under the car and up on top of the rear mount then under the intake manifold this is the only way they will work.

there will be a set of plugs on the shifter and also a auto shifter selector. that selector has its own wire harness you will need that. its pictured here

wiring.JPG

YOu dont need the auto shift selector. You do everything on the Harness plug of the shift selector. The diagram above will help you, I dont remember colors.

Clutch safety switch goes to L and M
Reverse switch from tranny goes to G and H
Jump F and I to take your key out (just tie them together)

next comes the ecu. the good thing about the 5th gens 1 they are still obd1 and 2 they have a tcu separte from the ecu so for the guys on a very tight buget you dont have to buy a 5speed ecu all you have to do is take out the tcu. but i got the 5speed. if you do get the 5speed its a stright swap unplug and plug in.

now its time for the tranny mount bracket if you dont want to/or dont have access to weld a new bracket on the frame you can do it my way.
it requiers you to drill the bracket like so
643188_53_full.jpg

the bottom hole is from the auto mount, there is a pinch weld up and to the left that is where i drilled refer to the pic above. if you do not do this the engine will sit down on the trans side and fuck up your axles. so this step is a must

all other mounts are the same

now you ready to drop it back in. on the back of the block bolt up the intermidate shaft. if you havnt done so unbolt the auto trans,trq converter, and auto flywheel,
bolt back up 5speed flywheel and clutch botl up the trans, starter, and slave cylinder. prep the engine bay to drop it back in and reverse how you took it out make sure to check all the lines so the everything is connceted. put the axles in and the knuckles back on. guess what you have just done what cant be done.

Last edited:
I have read different posters saying they don't need the 5-speed ECU, and others saying you DO need it. I have read that people with auto ECUs getting CELs because the ECU keeps searching for the TCU signal.

I'd like to know if it necessary to have a manual ECU included in this swap, or if the current auto ECU can be re-used. Thank you.

I have read different posters saying they don't need the 5-speed ECU, and others saying you DO need it. I have read that people with auto ECUs getting CELs because the ECU keeps searching for the TCU signal.

I'd like to know if it necessary to have a manual ECU included in this swap, or if the current auto ECU can be re-used. Thank you.

You need a manual ECU if you want to avoid the CEL...

Thanks, BUT is there a way to modify the existing auto ECU to rid itself of the CEL. Also, when obtaining the manual ECU, would a different wiring harness be necessary?

I used my old auto ecu when i did my conversion in my 93 accord and i didn't have a cel.

I used my old auto ecu when i did my conversion in my 93 accord and i didn't have a cel.

That's very interesting Ethan. Typically an automatic ECU will look for a solenoid on the auto transmission. If it doesn't find that solenoid, it can trip the CEL. I wonder what was up with yours. Did you convert it to manual via a chip?

That's very interesting Ethan. Typically an automatic ECU will look for a solenoid on the auto transmission. If it doesn't find that solenoid, it can trip the CEL. I wonder what was up with yours. Did you convert it to manual via a chip?

no... could someone have possibly had a manual ecu in there? would it work without a cel?

come to think of it, i believe i HAVE driven my accord w/out one of the connectors plugged in, this was the service connector. my data link connector was still in. I was trying to figure out why my automatic wasn't locking up, and had inserted a jumper to count the CEL blinks.

What? wait wtf... Thread Jacker? :confused: Thief!!! That man just stole you thread!

no, i wasn't thread jacking, I had written earlier concerning the use of auto ECUs in manual-equipped vehicles. I was stating that I have been able to drive my auto with half the TCU wire unplugged and have no CEL, leading me think that it MIGHT be possible to do a swap w/out chanign ECUs.

It was already stated that the only issue he might have is his check engine light MIGHT be on.

Alright, I feel like we're running around in circles here. Like I said, i had originally wanted to know what the answer was, "yes" or "no." And while Brutal told me I'd (currently about to tranny swap a 94 wagon) need a manual ECU, you've told me you've gotten away with it. In the end, I just went the safe route and bought a manual ECU.

Ethan, when you swapped, did you have the donor car with you?, or you had all the hardware instead...?

Back