trying to replacing rear brake pads was a disaster

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cxnsi

ride: accord 98ex 4dr
me and my homeboy were trying to replace the rear brake pads with OEm quality pads i had bought online. unfortunately we did not read proper documentations before we started; the break is now air filled. the piston is loose from the caliper. We had to call a tow truck to get us to BreakCheck. They said they do not install pads from anyone else but their own. so we have to buy new pads and installation charge (~$80), bleed ($25), and a new caliper (~$175). So the estimate came out to be around $300. We had to leave the car there so they could fix it. ................man, i feel like shit right now....
any comments on the pricing?

you can use pads, doesn't have to be EXACTLY what they say

I believe the rear calipers, you have to twist the piston back in, and fronts used the C clamp

the rear need a special tool to do right. The tool cost 10 bucks or takes 10 mins to make. The shop sounds like they are dicking you around, no pads but their home brand? Never heard of this before

:bustout::owned::bustout:

Yeah, stay off of the brakes until you get 'em completely re-assembled.

Oh well, now you know...

knowing.jpg

I think he probably depressed the brake before he put the caliper back on/
haha

brakes are like intro to auto type shit...
you need to bury your tools and never touch your car again

or do some more research mang...

yea.. brakes are really simple.

On the Audi it's literally 2 bolts and a caliper tool or C clamp, well you can say 7 bolts if you consider taking the wheel off too.

The first car I ever worked on was a VW Rabbit with some major electrical problems no one helped me but I got it to run and drive for a while. :shrug2:

wow. Even brian and I didn't have any problems doing mine.

You don't NEED the special tool to get the piston back in, but it would make it 10982 times easier to do. We had to twist the piston back into the caliper with a crowbar until we could get the caliper around the rotor.

I'm just glad I didn't fuck up, it would have been an expensive learning experience.

I spent 90 total redoing my rear brake pads and rotors.

I spent 65 for the front and rear pads.

Calipers were fine. And i used a good old C clamp all around. It took some time because the A4 doesnt have a plus design in the rear. It has 2 little grooves on the sides. So it's Audi tool or no tool. I just used the C clamp tot push and twist and back off after each turn to release the pressure....It worked.

Quoted post[/post]]
I spent 65 for the front and rear pads.

Calipers were fine. And i used a good old C clamp all around. It took some time because the A4 doesnt have a plus design in the rear. It has 2 little grooves on the sides. So it's Audi tool or no tool. I just used the C clamp tot push and twist and back off after each turn to release the pressure....It worked.

Once I get my brake swap complete and settled in, I'm going to replace my pads and disks.. Got to get track-worthy stuff. I'm thinking EBC green stuff pads. Not entirely decided yet. It needs to be streetable too.

I kinda want to upgrade my brake on the A4, but it's going to be pointless with the untuneable ECU that I have. So that means no SC project, no TT project and N/A is just out of the question with the 12V. It would just be a heavy, slow car that stops fairly well.

But A8 rotors and 993 calipers are so tempting.

Quoted post[/post]]
ride: accord 98ex 4dr
me and my homeboy were trying to replace the rear brake pads with OEm quality pads i had bought online. unfortunately we did not read proper documentations before we started; the break is now air filled. the piston is loose from the caliper. We had to call a tow truck to get us to BreakCheck. They said they do not install pads from anyone else but their own. so we have to buy new pads and installation charge (~$80), bleed ($25), and a new caliper (~$175). So the estimate came out to be around $300. We had to leave the car there so they could fix it. ................man, i feel like shit right now....
any comments on the pricing?

The pricing from the shop isn't THAT bad really... but next time, just rebuild the caliper on your own. It's not that hard, and it's a good learning experience.

Quoted post[/post]]
I kinda want to upgrade my brake on the A4, but it's going to be pointless with the untuneable ECU that I have. So that means no SC project, no TT project and N/A is just out of the question with the 12V. It would just be a heavy, slow car that stops fairly well.

But A8 rotors and 993 calipers are so tempting.

Brake upgrades are never pointless... unless you ask E_SolSi about what I want to do- then you get comments like "You're just not right!" and crap like that.

:laugh:

price - too much.

you not knowing how to do brakes, just means you deserve to pay the $300 ot have it fixed. then please do us all a favor and dont attempt to do a swap.

Quoted post[/post]]
Brake upgrades are never pointless... unless you ask E_SolSi about what I want to do- then you get comments like "You're just not right!" and crap like that.

with the brake setup that you are talking about i wouldnt be suprised if the air bags deploy the first time you stand on em

LMAO.

I was going to use 4 piston calipers and 12" rotors.

Or maybe even 12" rotors and 2 piston calipers to cut the cost in half.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

with the brake setup that you are talking about i wouldnt be suprised if the air bags deploy the first time you stand on em

Well, that would be a good excuse to get a new steering wheel. :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
LMAO.

I was going to use 4 piston calipers and 12" rotors.

Or maybe even 12" rotors and 2 piston calipers to cut the cost in half.

I was thinking something much larger than that, and in a car that's already lighter than what you have... and has 12 inch brakes already too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back